• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH border?

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
If anyone has crossed the NH border from MASSACHUSETTS let me know if you were stopped and had to fill out a form or something. I really would like to make it up there this winter. I am pretty much a loner who doesn't go to bars or restaurants.
I bring my own food and coffee when I ski. I am very healthy and just want to ski. I don’t believe healthy people who keep to themselves should have to lock themselves in the house all winter. I also have no family and always alone on Thanksgiving.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@Boston girl no one is stopping you on the border back into MA. I've had friends and coworkers travel to "less safe" states elsewhere in the country ever since these restrictions were put in place by MA, and have never heard this by car. They simply tested and/or quarantined when they returned, didn't fill out any forms. It's all honor system. The only places they stop you with forms are places like the airport etc. No border checks in your car to come back to MA yet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks Missy.. I always wear a mask and just happen to live a solitary life.

You should definitely go get out when able! I wouldn't worry about this in the least. Even if you were to be stopped (which again I have not heard of at all until this point and do not anticipate this will happen) you would say that you're going to your house to quarantine and/or getting a test as the requirement states. You're still in compliance to do those things when returning, so you wouldn't have any problem coming back.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Currently there are no restrictions to go INTO NH from MA. After all, NH only JUST mandated masks like a week ago! If you are a rule follower, on your way back to MA you would complete the online form and either test/quarantine or quarantine. But as others have mentioned, it is not being enforced and no police officer or something is stopping people to check. I do wonder say if you didn't quarantine and got someone sick, if you could end up in trouble for not following the guidelines and have to pay the fine?

I too hope I can do some skiing in NH this winter, the problem for me is not the state requirements but the requirements of my school. I have to attest that I haven't been out of state each day.

I hope you come check out Blue Hills at some point this season. I host a Women's clinic on Thursday nights! It might be a good way to meet other like minded skiers so you have ski buddies for trips up north!

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
You sound like a very cool person Marymack. I hope we get some snow, it would be great to plan a ski trip. I am usually a season pass holder for Killington, but this year I didn’t get one. I have an Epic pass this year. I would love to make it to Stowe this year!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I do wonder say if you didn't quarantine and got someone sick, if you could end up in trouble for not following the guidelines and have to pay the fine?

I too hope I can do some skiing in NH this winter, the problem for me is not the state requirements but the requirements of my school. I have to attest that I haven't been out of state each day.

Oh yeah, I'm sure if you caused an issue they would then track your movements more closely and you would have a problem after the fact.

Do the requirements from your school not allow weekend travel either if you test on the way back? That's a tougher one to deal with for sure.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You sound like a very cool person Marymack. I hope we get some snow, it would be great to plan a ski trip. I am usually a season pass holder for Killington, but this year I didn’t get one. I have an Epic pass this year. I would love to make it to Stowe this year!

Haha Thanks. Hopefully we can meet up at some point! I had the Epic pass last year because I was going to Meribel for my Honeymoon so it made sense, but in general I have not gotten the Epic pass on principle haha! Make sure you check out Crotched and Sunapee, they make great day trips from the Boston area. This year I got the Indy Pass so I'm looking forward to Berkshire east and Catamount and hopefully I'll make it up to Bolton Valley (possibly my favorite ski area in New England), Black Mountain (NH), Cannon and Jay...but who knows if that will be possible this year.

Stowe is pretty great. I actually spent a winter there teaching science for the Winter Academy so I was able to ski most weekdays. I know you mentioned you are a brown bagger but splurge on a breakfast sandwich on the Spruce Peak side...worth it! Ski off the Sensation quad if you get the chance, its out of the way which means it is never crowded. Also, if the line is getting long at the Forerunner, ride the Lookout Double, you can ski almost all the same terrain and be sitting on a lift rather than waiting in line.

@MissySki The policy is you do the symptom checker which includes a question about travel. It used to be since NH and VT were "lower risk" we were supposed to check "yes, I traveled", and then wait outside until 8am (classes start at 8:05) to call the Nurse to get approved to go inside the building. For coming back from NH, I think I would need to be able to show the test as proof and may still need to quarantine? For traveling to VT, I can't quarantine (even the 7 day plus test) since I need to be teaching in the building 4 days a week, so VT travel is off the table unless I break the rules or their policy changes.
Either way right now its just not that easy to get a test anyway! Either long lines or pay. I also don't think its particularly fair that those getting tests just so they can travel are eating up all the time slots from people that are exhibiting symptoms or have been contact traced and are being told to go get tested.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki The policy is you do the symptom checker which includes a question about travel. It used to be since NH and VT were "lower risk" we were supposed to check "yes, I traveled", and then wait outside until 8am (classes start at 8:05) to call the Nurse to get approved to go inside the building. For coming back from NH, I think I would need to be able to show the test as proof and may still need to quarantine? For traveling to VT, I can't quarantine (even the 7 day plus test) since I need to be teaching in the building 4 days a week, so VT travel is off the table unless I break the rules or their policy changes.
Either way right now its just not that easy to get a test anyway! Either long lines or pay. I also don't think its particularly fair that those getting tests just so they can travel are eating up all the time slots from people that are exhibiting symptoms or have been contact traced and are being told to go get tested.

Lines are definitely long right now.. I do know a bunch of people who have had great experiences with the free sites that require appointments though, and I assume after the holiday it will be easier to get those appointments again.

Apparently 2 million people flew out of Logan airport just Friday, presumably for the holiday (of course it doesn't mean they are all from MA). Imagine how many people are still going and/or driving out of state in the next few days though. Scary to think how many tests are going to be needed once returning to MA as I assume most people are not quarantining for 14 days. Will they even comply? I think there should be a distinction for people driving alone over a border to their own accommodations and outdoor recreation versus people traveling on public transit personally. Lumping everyone into the same category makes a mess as we are seeing with testing sites now.

As for the fairness etc., there is certainly an argument to be had there though the point has been to test as many people as possible regardless of whether they are symptomatic or not because that's how you find out where hidden cases are and control the spread. It would be a step back to only test those who meet a certain criteria of being symptomatic like earlier this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965