• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newly resurrected skier looking for guidance

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Hi there! I am currently into my 2nd ski season after a very lengthy hiatus (I’m talking about over 20 years). I considered myself a pretty good skier back in the day, but this time around I feel like a mess! I can get down the blues and greens along with a few blacks, but it ain’t pretty. Pretty nuts since I was on my high school ski team! Guess I had way more confidence back then and I have grown overly conscious of my mortality in my old age .
I’ve been watching numerous videos, scoured many message boards looking for advice and guidance on improving form and confidence. When I ski with my family, I am the last one down because I’m skiing at a slug’s pace. I often feel frustrated and embarrassed. So, I decided it may be a good time to seek out a private lesson. We live in Eastern Mass and have Epic passes and I would be able to head up to Crotched or Sunapee on one of my days off. Does anyone have insight to the quality of lessons at either of these places? Or perhaps other recommendations?
Thanks much! So glad I found this place!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! As you may have noticed, quite a few Divas got back on the slopes after 10, 20, or even 25+ years. I had a gap of 10 years and didn't really ski regularly until after age 50. Started taking lessons regularly around age 55 after rehabbing a knee injury (not a skiing injury).

From what I know of Crotched and Sunapee, I would head to Sunapee. If you don't get a recommendation by name, I suggest calling the ski school to explain your situation. The more background you provide, the more likely they can match you up well. Midweek you should be able to schedule a private with one of the most experienced instructors. What do you know of PSIA certification levels? My experience in the last decade is that any Level 3 instructor can help, and any Level 2 instructor with 15+ years of experience would probably be fine too.

What boots and skis are you using? Rentals or purchased?

Paging @liquidfeet (an instructor from around Boston who is an instructor at Bretton Woods)

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome back to skiing! It is like riding a bike, it will come back to you in no time. I’d say it is perfectly fine to ski at a pace you are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with being slow and cautious - no need to be frustrated or embarrassed! Just take your time and don’t push yourself beyond your comfort zone! Skiing is not a team sport so there is no need to keep up with anyone as long as you are having fun!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to @liquidfeet at Bretton Woods, @nopoleskier is an instructor at Royal Mountain.

If either of these are within range for a couple of lessons, it might a good way to work through the initial issues quickly and get back to feeling like yourself on skis.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI, welcome, definitely take a tune up lesson, I hope you have modern equipment, our motto "marry your boots and date your skis" new skis are great, so many to choose from.

Skiing is like riding a bike, the new equipment makes it so much easier. Hope you have a great ski season! And if you head to NY I do teach at a nice little Mt. in Caroga Lake NY

newboots

Angel Diva
Don’t feel bad about losing your touch! Skiing has changed a LOT and a lesson is definitely the answer. Sorry I don’t have recommendations for instructors.

If you sign up for a group lesson on a week day, you may have the experience that many of us do - a private lesson for the cost of a group!

So glad you decided to join us!

:ski: :welcome: :ski:

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Thank your so much everyone! I knew this was a quality resource :smile:.That is a good point about today’s skiing being different than skiing in the 80’s/90’s! Equipment had evolved so much.
I purchased new skis and boots last year. I have Technica Mach 1 boots and Atomic Vantage. x77 Skis. I had some issue with boot fit last year and had to toy around with them. Got them resized by my fitter and finally put a shim between the outer boot and boot liner. My heel kept lifting up when turning and it was lighting my calves on fire- especially during icy conditions. Fir-wise, things seem to be better now. Though, I do wonder if putting a slight heel lift would help push me out of the back seat more? I can’t seem to get out of it. I know it’s mainly driven by my trepidation, but I am having a hard time breaking that habit despite drills. Maybe I just need to relax and ski for the sake of skiing right now?
Thanks SO much b for the recommendations and positive insight! It makes me feel better to know there are many others that are or have been in this stage before. I will definitely give Sunapee a try for lessons!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go to Sunapee. Tuesday’s are Ladies Days and with lessons available. Look under lessons on their website. Great hill, good people.

There is also a bigger women’s event in March. Well worth going!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @saranneblue! Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I took 20 years off myself, so I know how you feel. Believe it or not, a lot of it will come back. But taking a lesson is a great idea. And yes, Sunapee's weekly women's group is a good place to go. Another option: If you have multiple consecutive days to spare, you might want to check out the women's clinics at Sugarbush, Killington, or Okemo. I've reviewed them all in my blog (click on the links), and they're all pretty good.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also if you want to ease into things, including meeting people on this forum, there is a small group that's going to meet up at Belleayre next weekend. Some of the members have taken (or given) a lot of lessons and may spot something or have a tip that starts setting things right for you.

It has to be hard to have been on a ski team and to now struggle and feel you can't keep up with your family. The experience you had before really will shorten the (re-)learning curve. Welcome back to skiing!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi again.. regarding your heel lifting, definitely do not want that. I take the factory foot bed out and put in a 'sorbi-sole' foam athletic foot bed to take up the extra space- lol only on my right foot. it's a tad smaller than my left from old injuries and sometimes I wear a 'fat' sock on one foot too.

Your skis are a FUN Ski!! Boots sound good too. as for getting out of the back seat.. always press your shins on the boot tongues, keep hands in sight and in front of you, don't stress, if you're curling your toes, stop, regroup, stomp on those skis, feel your feet and start over again. The Only pressure should be on your edges. :-) Take it slow and easy it will come back to you.

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Also if you want to ease into things, including meeting people on this forum, there is a small group that's going to meet up at Belleayre next weekend. Some of the members have taken (or given) a lot of lessons and may spot something or have a tip that starts setting things right for you.
That would be very helpful, I’m sure! What day?
It has to be hard to have been on a ski team and to now struggle and feel you can't keep up with your family. The experience you had before really will shorten the (re-)learning curve. Welcome back to skiing!
Ya, it’s humbling for sure. Pretty sure my daughter thinks I am full of bull that I was ever on the team. To my defense, it was in the late 80’s/ early 90’s and I’m not sure we were all that huge on skill specifics - We just bombed down the mountain! I stopped within the first year or so of college and didn’t start back up until last year. I went up to Sunapee by myself today and really focused on my drills. I ditched the poles and that seemed to help a lot. By the end I was getting faster, but resorted to my bad habits when I challenged myself with other trails. Hey, it’s a start!

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, @saranneblue! Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I took 20 years off myself, so I know how you feel. Believe it or not, a lot of it will come back. But taking a lesson is a great idea. And yes, Sunapee's weekly women's group is a good place to go. Another option: If you have multiple consecutive days to spare, you might want to check out the women's clinics at Sugarbush, Killington, or Okemo. I've reviewed them all in my blog (click on the links), and they're all pretty good.
Thank you! I don’t think I can make it to Okemo during the weekdays, but I am hoping to make it up to Okemo MLK day weekend- I will read your blog tonight!

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Hi again.. regarding your heel lifting, definitely do not want that. I take the factory foot bed out and put in a 'sorbi-sole' foam athletic foot bed to take up the extra space- lol only on my right foot. it's a tad smaller than my left from old injuries and sometimes I wear a 'fat' sock on one foot too.

Your skis are a FUN Ski!! Boots sound good too. as for getting out of the back seat.. always press your shins on the boot tongues, keep hands in sight and in front of you, don't stress, if you're curling your toes, stop, regroup, stomp on those skis, feel your feet and start over again. The Only pressure should be on your edges. :-) Take it slow and easy it will come back to you.
I did add a super feet insert in there last year, but the heel was still lifting a tad. This past week I added a shim I found online under my boot liner in the shell and tested it today- definitely much better, but may add a bit of foam around the heel bone to make it even more secure? I can’t afford getting another boot or fitting at the moment, so I’m just trying to tweak things on my own for now. Although pretty sure no matter how tight they feel, my head will keep putting me in the back seat. I love your idea of the regrouping and finding the “center” again. I need to start doing that.
Yes, love my skis! Though I am pretty sure they don’t like me since I always seem to slow or stop if they start getting speedy....they must be bored

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd try the foam, and I've used moleskin and one day I used a mini pad on my shin! both cheap, soft, not abrasive, LOL my DYI boot fitting. I'm thinking that maybe having to set your heel back down "IS" putting you in the back seat or just being concious of that vs feeling secure in the boot maybe too.

Glad you like your skis! it's good to be comfy and do turns well at slower speeds then you can do them well as you get used to going faster!

Have fun!

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Did you tape the moleskin around the boot near your ankle bone? What type of mini pad did you use for your shin? Did you place it inside the tongue? I’m all for DIY- I can save the money for lessons instead haha

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you tape the moleskin around the boot near your ankle bone? What type of mini pad did you use for your shin? Did you place it inside the tongue? I’m all for DIY- I can save the money for lessons instead haha

i''ve done both on the skin and in the boot. skin where it may roll inside the boot (by my big toe) and LOL the mini pad was 'always's for ladies Real DYI.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly