• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newbie looking for sightseeing tips in Sapporo

Tea

Diva in Training
Hi Diva’s-Im heading to Sapporo to ride with Backcountry Babe for 7 days and then I am staying for 5 days by myself to travel around the area. Does anyone have any ‘not to be missed’ ideas for Sapporo? I also have been looking for places to see traditional music or theater with no luck. Any help?
Dreaming of JaPOW,
Tea

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://backcountrybabes.com

Why We’re Special

We provide quality backcountry opportunities for women of different abilities and ages to gain skills in outdoor recreational sports, backcountry safety, and to participate in fun adventures together. Our instructors, coaches, and guides are some of the best. They are all highly qualified, certified, and experienced women who are passionate about mentoring other women who want to get outdoors.

We focus specifically on women because we understand that we often learn in a different manner and have different needs than men. We have tons of fun learning and enjoying outdoor backcountry sports together!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When are you going? The Sapporo Snow Festival is usually around now (first half of Feb), so that should be your top priority - amazing ice sculptures & fun snowy activities.

I have to confess that the 4x I've flown via Sapporo to ski&hike in Hokkaido, I've not stopped over in the city. But I do have some notes from when I was *thinking* about staying a few days (instead rented a car and drove straight off back to the ski areas but to hike in the summer) and I used to live in Japan, so I can offer some general advice of stuff I seek out when I visit to any big city in Japan:

- The Hokkaido Museum's -open air village, sounds a bit like a Colonial Williamsburg or Plimout Plantation equivalent with a replica historic village. I think the museum itself may be interesting as I think it focuses on Ainu (indigenous) culture, which is distinctly different from mainstream Japanese & more in common with Inuit/FirstNations/Native American. (If you've ever watched the animated series Avatar the Last Airbender or its sequel Korra, the "water tribes" were clearly supposed to be something like Ainu).
- The Sapporo beer museum - who would pass that up?!
- The "curb market" which is the retail part of Sapporo's wholesale market (I guess their equivalent to the famed Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo).
- Otaru is a pretty town nearby that's worth a detour.
- Also, I make a point of going to the Sapporo airport at least 4 and sometimes 5 hours before flights because the *domestic* terminal has a fantastic food market - something like 100 stalls of Hokkaido food products (it's famous for all sorts of agricultural stuff & the dairy is amazing. Read @alison wong's review of Nozawa Onsen and her notes about Japanese vs American milk. The farmers are heavily subsidized so that the cows are all grassfed and freerange in small herds/family farms, which makes for really delicious milk. ) Also 40-50 eating options. The sushi + ramen are uniformly fantastic, and the individual quivering cheesecake is great too - there are always long lines. Also make sure you get some soft serve green tea icecream. There's a little show factory for Royce brand chocolates which is very fun. I once carried a 10lb box of potatoes back to Hong Kong because my sister and I ate a transcendentally good baked potato as a side dish to our sushi, and we had an empty carryon, so why not?

More general advice, not specific to Sappor: Set aside some time just to wander around the department stores in town even if you're not into shopping. The food halls are invariably awesome and it's culturally very interesting to observe the differences. Just buy something for the sake of getting it wrapped - the wrapping they do for even the most modest purchase is a work of art.
I'm a big fan of Tokyu Hands (Tokyu is a corporation, it's not another spelling for Tokyo) which is like if Neiman Marcus or Saks ran a combination of Michaels + Bed Bath & Beyond + the Lee Valley Tools catalogue - it's the most amazing hobby/household/hardware shop in the world....the Japanese take their hobbies *very* seriously.

You'll probably go to an onsen while you're skiing but if it's not real minerally hotspring water and just a glorified oversized hottub at your hotel, make a point of going to whatever is the nearest real onsen town to Sapporo (it can't be more than a hour away, Japan is all active volcanic zones with hot springs everywhere - there are real ones in the middle of Tokyo even.)

Last edited:

alison wong

Angel Diva
I once carried a 10lb box of potatoes back to Hong Kong because my sister and I ate a transcendentally good baked potato as a side dish to our sushi,
This is funny. You brought potatoes, I brought a bag of rice back to the U.S. when I visited Japan one time. I used to have a Japanese roommate, her family would mail bags of rice to her.......
I was told by someone that good quality Japanese rice is only available in Japan and they don't export.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had time for the fish market. Had seafood steamed in a sake bath at the table in a small place in a dirty back alley and it was delightful!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is funny. You brought potatoes, I brought a bag of rice back to the U.S. when I visited Japan one time. I used to have a Japanese roommate, her family would mail bags of rice to her.......
I was told by someone that good quality Japanese rice is only available in Japan and they don't export.
If that's the case, some very sad people in Hong Kong, Taiwan & Singapore are paying through the nose for lower quality export rice - there's that chain CitySuper which specializes in Japanese groceries and they have an extensive selection of Japanese artisanal rice grown on smallholdings (the kind where the bag is individually signed/stamped by the farmer & there's a picture of a grizzled old couple holding up rice seedlings in a paddy fie.d. Similar stuff from Taiwan is available too - in both cases I think it's become like European agritourism & you can visit the farms etc.) Stuff runs a minimum of US$25/5lbs or so and it's kept refrigerators.

I think the correct statement is that the good quality stuff isn't exported in large quantities to the US! (Either that or the Japanese rice marketing board is loving that they can dump the 2nd rate stuff in the rest of East Asia on those folks who assume everything Japanese is better, dressing it up to look like domestic market product. )

Tea

Diva in Training
Thank you so much Cantabrigienne!
I found a snowbiking tour of Sapporo through Airbnb Experiences that I will do on my first day to get a feel for the city. The host has been corresponding with me daily to learn my preferences and I think he will be a wealth of info. Also, I have made a plan with my Airbnb host to ski together at one of the many resorts. Since our BCB tour will be backcountry, it will be fun to see a resort.
The fact that Im vegan could be a little trickier....I might be eating a lot of noodles...sounds perfect.

Tea

Diva in Training
https://backcountrybabes.com

Why We’re Special

We provide quality backcountry opportunities for women of different abilities and ages to gain skills in outdoor recreational sports, backcountry safety, and to participate in fun adventures together. Our instructors, coaches, and guides are some of the best. They are all highly qualified, certified, and experienced women who are passionate about mentoring other women who want to get outdoors.

We focus specifically on women because we understand that we often learn in a different manner and have different needs than men. We have tons of fun learning and enjoying outdoor backcountry sports together!
I can tell you first hand, that this is all true and then some. I took a backcountry course on Jan 27 with a BCB’s instructor Kirstin Nelson to prepare for my upcoming Japan trip and she was amazing. Passionate, experienced, totally thorough while she clearly explained things as we made our days route plan. I learned a sh*t ton and had a great time to boot. The environment of an all female group was amazing as well-we were so much more chill and we all participated in every discussion. Its not that the dudes hold us down but as an all woman group, we just related to each other better. I would guess that this will not be my last trip with them.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much Cantabrigienne!
I found a snowbiking tour of Sapporo through Airbnb Experiences that I will do on my first day to get a feel for the city. The host has been corresponding with me daily to learn my preferences and I think he will be a wealth of info. Also, I have made a plan with my Airbnb host to ski together at one of the many resorts. Since our BCB tour will be backcountry, it will be fun to see a resort.
The fact that Im vegan could be a little trickier....I might be eating a lot of noodles...sounds perfect.
There's always Buddhist temple food, that's guaranteed to be vegan. You'll have to be careful as innocent seeming dishes like miso soup with tofu are not vegan (dashi -the stock - is made from shaved dried bonito tuna.).

Tea

Diva in Training
There's always Buddhist temple food, that's guaranteed to be vegan. You'll have to be careful as innocent seeming dishes like miso soup with tofu are not vegan (dashi -the stock - is made from shaved dried bonito tuna.).
Excellent tip! I didnt even consider there might be food available at Buddhist temples. Thanks once again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna