• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newbie help at Alta

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's easy to go fast. Just let gravity do its thing. However, you will need to slow down or else....

If it's hard to slow down after going fast, you're not ready for the speed.

So learn to go slow first, with good strong control of where you turn and how fast you are going. Staying slow for a whole run, slower than you think, is the hard part. Master it.

geargrrl

Angel Diva

3. I've been told cross country skiing is more like jogging, just on sticks. It's a very cardio-centric activity.

...If you want it to be. I am an avid Nordic skier. Skate style is definitely serious cardio; no way not to be. But for classic, it's much more mellow. You can go fast or slow, work up a sweat or not. You can shuffle along like walking, go moderately or go like an Olympic athlete- your choice or mood. Classic XC is not cardio centric at all so you have been misinformed.

finsterlee

Certified Ski Diva
...If you want it to be. I am an avid Nordic skier. Skate style is definitely serious cardio; no way not to be. But for classic, it's much more mellow. You can go fast or slow, work up a sweat or not. You can shuffle along like walking, go moderately or go like an Olympic athlete- your choice or mood. Classic XC is not cardio centric at all so you have been misinformed.
Ok. Just was trying to help out a newcomer and explain in an oversimplified way how different XC is from downhill.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It warmed my heart reading about your trip. How lucky for you to have had private lessons and even a fun powder day! It sounds like you’re a natural born skier!

As for the boots, well... it’s not a coincidence that most people invest in a pair of boots before any other gear. Rental boots are never ideal, however, you always have the option of exchanging or having them adjusted at the rental counter.

That is a fantastic photo! I love the fresh tracks snaking behind you and the big smile. I wish you lots of joy with your skiing.

newbieM

Angel Diva
^What @Christy said.

You are doing amazing and you don't need to start charging down the mountain. Take your time, learn to be a good skier, and then decide how fast you like to go. And is your chin strap unbuckled in that photo where you look so happy and beautiful? I speak from experience. Always buckle it! :thumbsup:

HA HA YES, I know! I unbuckled it to loosen it a bit to pull down the fleece gator thingy I was wearing for the pic.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newbieM You even also brought some of the freshies home with you to SoCal. Lots of snow on our local hills over the weekend and hopefully more to come. I’m starting to feel optimistic we might have some nice skiing this year.

newbieM

Angel Diva
@newbieM You even also brought some of the freshies home with you to SoCal. Lots of snow on our local hills over the weekend and hopefully more to come. I’m starting to feel optimistic we might have some nice skiing this year.
I know! I wish I could make it out somewhere local but I am not sure I could figure it out.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know! I wish I could make it out somewhere local but I am not sure I could figure it out.

Love your trip report and photo, beautiful turns! You are doing great!!! Early on (and later on) in your progression it’s all about the mileage and time on snow. Many of your observations are spot on and things that can take a lot of time to work out, most skiers are works in progress even if they look fabulous skiing by. :smile: Go as much as you can to keep progressing, the season unfortunately goes by quicker than you’d like each year. :ski:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Ok. Just was trying to help out a newcomer and explain in an oversimplified way how different XC is from downhill.
I get that, but oversimplified does the sport a disservice and I felt it was oversimplified to the point of "don't try this unless you are fit". Easy classic is fantastic for first timers, out of shape people, non-athletic people, families with little kids, etc. It's very accessible and a great alternative winter sport for anyone who can stand and walk on two feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly