• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Zealand 2024

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have a relationship between start of the season and end of it like we do here? It seems that if you get a shithouse start you get a great end and vice-versa. Nothing on opening weekend but starting to get a decent cover now so history (might be apocryphal but I'm running with it) says it's going to kick off!
Its always hard to pick here due to our land mass (or lack of it !!), because the South Island is a long skinny island with a mountain range running up the middle we're really at the mercy of the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Tasman Sea on the other with the Southern Alps making all the decisions !! We're better off than we were last season but that was a late start and an early finish, 2022 was a great season here in Canterbury but my son was working at Whakapapa in the North Island and they had a shocker.
I dont think there is going to be any action over the next week with a big old high pressure system moving in, beautiful blue bird days but no snow :cry:
Further south faired better out of this last storm which is great esp as the school holidays start at the weekend and most people tend to head down there.
Early days yet early days , I'll keep saying that until we get some more snow :thumbsup:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely a place i want to try!
@Rashika you must !! Such a great ski field, we got asked if we want to join some friends in a couple of weeks time but we've taken a rain check on it so we can just go spur of the moment when the school holidays are over and conditions look like they're on ... very antisocial and a teeny bit selfish I know but we can only get away once this season (at this stage) so we want it to be good.
Oh and they've got the Von Brown Hut where you can sit in deck chairs and drink schnapps in the sun all while looking at the spectacular view :clap:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Rashika you must !! Such a great ski field, we got asked if we want to join some friends in a couple of weeks time but we've taken a rain check on it so we can just go spur of the moment when the school holidays are over and conditions look like they're on ... very antisocial and a teeny bit selfish I know but we can only get away once this season (at this stage) so we want it to be good.
Oh and they've got the Von Brown Hut where you can sit in deck chairs and drink schnapps in the sun all while looking at the spectacular view :clap:
Sounds like a must try this season
I'm just hoping the rope tow will still be open at the end of August when I'm back in NZ!

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 1 in the bag!!
I wouldn't say it was epic, more of a chance to remember how to ski and catch up with friends.
Porters only had the lower mountain open thanks to the snowmaking gods, but it was a fun few runs.
Sadly no snow in the immediate forcast but we're as always hopeful.
20240705_100918.jpg20240705_080729.jpg20240705_100914.jpg

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually doesn't look too bad. Maybe we'll head up there tomorrow for a few morning runs, instead of fighting the Mt Hutt weekend traffic.
I skied at Hutt on Wednesday -- fabulous day, and the coverage really not bad, though we found it was tricky off-piste. On piste was mint. We pretty much skied the same run over and over. Wish I'd taken photos. But it'll be busy tomorrow.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually doesn't look too bad. Maybe we'll head up there tomorrow for a few morning runs, instead of fighting the Mt Hutt weekend traffic.
I skied at Hutt on Wednesday -- fabulous day, and the coverage really not bad, though we found it was tricky off-piste. On piste was mint. We pretty much skied the same run over and over. Wish I'd taken photos. But it'll be busy tomorrow.
Looks can be deceiving, its only the chairlift running and I soon got bored with that, DH has just headed out the door to go touring but its more of a leg stretcher than actual skiing.
We just did a few runs then went down to the Lodge for lunch in the sun.
I'm heading back up on Monday but only because I've got a friend who's desperate to get back on the planks otherwise I wouldn't bother .... gosh I sound negative :laughter:
I'm kicking myself for not getting a Hutt pass this year as I could've gone up last week, I hear it was really quiet.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Rashika I've just seen that Mt Hutt has cancelled its carpool priority day tomorrow (Sunday) I wonder if its backfired on them a bit, it looked pretty quiet on the webcams.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Porters today was, um ... good practice. Bonus points for not too many people. In hindsight, having seen Mt Hutt's webcams with lack of lift lines, probably should've gone there, but we still had a good day. Did a few drills, and about 17 runs, so not entirely wasted. Oh, and extra bonus points for not having to leave the house til 7.30, and home in Christchurch by 3 to walk the dogs! Might even do it again tomorrow.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Porters today was, um ... good practice. Bonus points for not too many people. In hindsight, having seen Mt Hutt's webcams with lack of lift lines, probably should've gone there, but we still had a good day. Did a few drills, and about 17 runs, so not entirely wasted. Oh, and extra bonus points for not having to leave the house til 7.30, and home in Christchurch by 3 to walk the dogs! Might even do it again tomorrow.
There's only so much fun you can have on a short skinny stretch of manmade snow, good on you for making the most of it.
DH and his band of merry men actually had an awesome day touring, they headed off the back to a south facing bowl thats usually pretty reliable and it definitely delivered, he's just headed out the door to press repeat :ski:
I heard Mt Hutt have cancelled their carpool priority day today, I looked o the webcams yesterday and saw that it wasnt as busy as I would've expected.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What was the south facing bowl? So many tourers up there today too. I thought they were deluded, but obviously not! Probably also repeat tourers, based on what you say!

Rashika

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday at Mt hutt was actually pretty good, first tracks and we got there in good time with our 4 in the car. And yes they canned the priority day for today. I think lots of people have decided they just won't go on a priority day and so it wasn't busy at all, barely queued all day and we didnt leave till 3 so that's a full day from 8.
Decided we (me and other half) would do a couple of hours today as well given the no priority day, so first tracks again for 1 ride to the top and then they put that lift on wind hold so we did lots of rounds on the 8, Broadway was actually really nice snow and I was able to practice lots of things at least until they opened to everyone at 9. Then after queuing for over ten minutes each trip we decided that was enough at about ten and headed home to do the chores
Fab weekend all up though, and even the grumbling 15 year old had fun! The 14 year old did not want to leave, a few firsts for him: rode the triple for the first time and even demoed some skis, he had a ball!

Oh and we saw some tourers yesterday from the top of hutt, heading back towards us. Not sure I would ever b able to do that, but good on them I reckon

• Love

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What was the south facing bowl? So many tourers up there today too. I thought they were deluded, but obviously not! Probably also repeat tourers, based on what you say!
Its a hanging bowl on the West Face, head on up to Allisons Peak then about half way up you veer to the left. Its good because it's sheltered and has both a sunny and shady aspect, the shady side provided the goods on Saturday. Yesterdays mission into Powder Bowl wasn't quite as successful, it had a nasty crust.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday at Mt hutt was actually pretty good, first tracks and we got there in good time with our 4 in the car. And yes they canned the priority day for today. I think lots of people have decided they just won't go on a priority day and so it wasn't busy at all, barely queued all day and we didnt leave till 3 so that's a full day from 8.
Decided we (me and other half) would do a couple of hours today as well given the no priority day, so first tracks again for 1 ride to the top and then they put that lift on wind hold so we did lots of rounds on the 8, Broadway was actually really nice snow and I was able to practice lots of things at least until they opened to everyone at 9. Then after queuing for over ten minutes each trip we decided that was enough at about ten and headed home to do the chores
Fab weekend all up though, and even the grumbling 15 year old had fun! The 14 year old did not want to leave, a few firsts for him: rode the triple for the first time and even demoed some skis, he had a ball!

Oh and we saw some tourers yesterday from the top of hutt, heading back towards us. Not sure I would ever b able to do that, but good on them I reckon
Great to hear the teenagers had fun and that you all had a fab weekend, the weathers certainly been good ... apart from that wind. Now lets just all PRAY for a massive storm system to hit us !! Not looking promising in the short term though :cry:

Rashika

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great to hear the teenagers had fun and that you all had a fab weekend, the weathers certainly been good ... apart from that wind. Now lets just all PRAY for a massive storm system to hit us !! Not looking promising in the short term though :cry:
Yeap another good dump of snow would b great!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bethazile