• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Volkl Kenjas skiing awful after first tune--and a rant about misogyny

GlassFast

Diva in Training
I thought that too, but she did ski on them....but there should still be some wax....
i took the skis to the guy on the mountain and he ran them over a belt and put a quick wax on them, which made skiing a bit better. but still even that wax should have lasted more than 4 runs.

I bet the tune up shop gave them back to me before they were finished.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i took the skis to the guy on the mountain and he ran them over a belt and put a quick wax on them, which made skiing a bit better. but still even that wax should have lasted more than 4 runs.

I bet the tune up shop gave them back to me before they were finished.

Machine waxing like that is so superficial that it's almost worthless. It's totally plausible that it only lasted 4 runs; it just doesn't absorb into the base well.

If you're going to pay for waxing, get a hand wax and make sure to tell them what sort of wax you want (cold, warm, or universal). You can ask them what brand and type they use. Just the asking will alert them that you're an informed customer.

If you're waxing at home and your skis are very dry-looking, you can use a base-conditioning wax first, and then your usual wax. The bases should be brushed with a brass brush prior to waxing to increase absorption. A quick machine wax doesn't do any of this, it just slaps on a quick, thin layer that skis off quick.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have permission to quote my husband: “that’s their tune work? They suck. I’d march
back into that shop and ask for my money back.”

He was trying to look closely at the edges but can’t see much. Either way, get them to Footloose. I lived in LA County for 4 years and learned the hard way to never buy boots there or have skis tuned there.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am optimistic your skis with a respectful quality shop will be restored!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The good news is, this thread made me realize that the last time I was skiing skating was REALLY hard, so I looked at my skis and realize *I* need a wax. (how funny that statement sounds out of context...)

LOL. Thanks, misogynists!

(j/k on the thanks, obvi, but I thought we could all use a chuckle)

newboots

Angel Diva
@GlassFast - I'm so sorry this happened to you so early in your ski-owning career! You've had a crash course in idiot-jerk ski tuners, probably high on weed or possibly drunk, bullying you into thinking it was you, when it is so obviously their shoddy work. Ugh ugh UGH!

And I'm pleased to learn you have a better place to take them. Meanwhile, get to work on those Yelp, Google, and Tripadvisor reviews!

(And if you think I'm overboard about the substance abuse, I'm not. At least half of the ski technicians at the shop where my ex worked were drunk or high most of the time. Yes, including in the morning. One guy totaled his car (third one, 5th DUI) on his way home from work and now has a breathalizer in his vehicle. When he complains he can't make it to work because his car won't start, everyone knows it's because he can't blow clean into the breathalizer and the car WON'T start. And don't get me started about the weed.)

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread makes me so mad for you @GlassFast and I join the crowd in supporting you to be able to get decent service. Also, please leave bad reviews! People need to know who to avoid.

GlassFast

Diva in Training
If those pictures are after the tune, DO NOT ever let them tune your skis again! The white fuzzy stuff is base burn caused by friction which means they were never waxed, or likely tuned at all. There should be structure marks on the bases and they should be black and shiny. That kind of fuzz takes DAYS on a properly waxed ski.

Volkl tunes all their non-race-room skis with a 1 degree base bevel and a 2 degree edge bevel. They also do not detune the tips and tails at all - the need to do this suggests that the skis are too long or too stiff (and this certainly isn’t the problem if you were crushing it before). You can check a couple things on your own - using a metal-edged ruler, make sure the bases are flat by shining a light along the base while moving the ruler (standing up with metal edge against the ski) down the ski, looking for light under the ruler. You can also check for burrs on the edges by feeling for sticky or catchy spots. You should be able to squeeze the edges of the ski with your thumb and fingers and run your hand down the edges without cutting yourself. It’s simple to fix burrs very gently with a gummi stone.

Check out the tuning article in our forums for the basic info you need to know - plus it’ll help you talk with your tuning person. When you find someone who does it right, take them only to that person, or learn to do it yourself (it’s easier than you think).

Thanks Volklgirl. The bad tune shop, OC Snow Sports, assured me (!!) they do Volkl tunes exactly they way the factory does, with the same equipment. Quoted those bevel measurements.

Blah, blah, blah. Just got back from Footloose in Mammoth. The guy there took 1 look at them an noticed 3 (THREE) problems:
1. as a pervious poster suggested, no base structure.
2. concave
3. the edges had striations in them from a stone grinder. The guy explained it better but this is what I remember.

NO WONDER I COULDNT SKI. I'm so furious as how awful those jerks treated me. Telling me to get lessons. No one actually looked at the skis. Today the tech actually examined the skis.

I pick them up tomorrow and hopefully they're back to their former glory.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If those were my skis, I would write -- yes, a hardcopy letter -- to OC Snow Sports and explain what was determined to be wrong with the skis they supposedly tuned and enclose a copy of the receipt from Footloose. I would request they either refund the money paid them or reimburse for the work that Footloose had to do.

IIRC, OC Snow Sports did some ptex work. If so, I might offer that they retain the value of the ptex repair.

You might get nothing from OC Snow Sports, but at least they will know that you did indeed take the skis elsewhere and that work was performed on the skis. The receipt supports that.

newboots

Angel Diva
Well, thank goodness!

I agree with @vickie . You may get your money back. And after you do, perhaps another letter describing the failure of the jerks to look at the bad tune and incomplete base grind, their demeaning treatment of you, and the general nastiness of your experience. Maybe demand a letter of apology, while you're at it. I'm still mad!

@bambam, Maybe you should start a separate thread. It looks like there was some confusion. But your bases may have been treated by the same dolts that did @GlassFast 's skis!

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Volklgirl. The bad tune shop, OC Snow Sports, assured me (!!) they do Volkl tunes exactly they way the factory does, with the same equipment. Quoted those bevel measurements.

Blah, blah, blah. Just got back from Footloose in Mammoth. The guy there took 1 look at them an noticed 3 (THREE) problems:
1. as a pervious poster suggested, no base structure.
2. concave
3. the edges had striations in them from a stone grinder. The guy explained it better but this is what I remember.

NO WONDER I COULDNT SKI. I'm so furious as how awful those jerks treated me. Telling me to get lessons. No one actually looked at the skis. Today the tech actually examined the skis.

I pick them up tomorrow and hopefully they're back to their former glory.

Structure in the edges is what my husband was looking for in your pictures. That is one of the key things a good tech looks for--did the machine stone grind get into the edges, and if so, it needs to be fixed or your skis are going to ski like crap! The whole process is such an art, and with an artist who has no talent, you get a ski that skis like garbage. I love sitting at the shop watching my husband tune, as it's a very regimented process and takes an examination of the ski after each step.

I'm very glad you have answers. Your skis won't be back to their former glory, they should be BETTER. A properly tuned ski will feel smoother and more precise. On occasion, I get on a new ski that hasn't been tuned and can tell they need some TLC before I ski them again. I got a new pair of Sheevas a few seasons ago, got on them, and they would not release from turns easily, they kind of wanted to go straight. Off to the shop they went! They were great after a tune.

Don't worry about having too many stone grinds or tunes on your skis (if that thought has crossed your mind.) Unless a ski tech gets overzealous and grinds off a ton of the base, which then also requires removing a ton of edge, you'll have plenty of base left for many more tunes for the life of the ski.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't worry about having too many stone grinds or tunes on your skis (if that thought has crossed your mind.) Unless a ski tech gets overzealous and grinds off a ton of the base, which then also requires removing a ton of edge, you'll have plenty of base left for many more tunes for the life of the ski.

Worthy of a repeat. Do not get a stone grind more than once a season. You'll wear down the bases and your pocketbook. It's overkill. The exception is if you tear a gash in the base that's bad enough to impact your skiing. A few dings in the black base are fine; they usually don't matter.

But do sharpen the metal edges on the side, which you can do yourself, and get them waxed, which you can do yourself. Have a sharpen and wax tune done somewhat frequently after skiing on hard snow. On soft snow, it doesn't need to be done as often.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Worthy of a repeat. Do not get a stone grind more than once a season. You'll wear down the bases and your pocketbook. It's overkill. The exception is if you tear a gash in the base that's bad enough to impact your skiing. A few dings in the black base are fine; they usually don't matter.

Very true. I didn't even base grind my daily drivers this season yet. I brought them in for a desperately needed sharpen recently (my own work at home wasn't cutting it any longer) and we decided together that my bases were still flat and could do without a grind. This was in part because he asked if I was okay with not doing a grind and I specified that I'd be scratching them up more immediately upon getting them back anyway since I spend so much time in the trees right now and things are still boney this season. Not that they are super scratched, but I definitely have a few shallow markings. He was like yeah you're fine then, let's deal with that next time, no real need to do it this time around. I appreciated the discussion and rationale, he put a true bar on it while I was there etc. and did the best tune ever for me last season so I definitely trust his work. I had actually never noticed a really great tune beyond sharp edges (I have definitely noticed a very bad tune though!) and last season it was like an awakening, I couldn't believe how amazing my skis felt after a factory fresh tune. I go to SkiMD in Natick, MA for my daily drivers and higher end skis. He's AMAZING and I'd highly recommend checking him out for anyone in the area.

Jenny

Angel Diva
If those were my skis, I would write -- yes, a hardcopy letter -- to OC Snow Sports and explain what was determined to be wrong with the skis they supposedly tuned and enclose a copy of the receipt from Footloose. I would request they either refund the money paid them or reimburse for the work that Footloose had to do.

IIRC, OC Snow Sports did some ptex work. If so, I might offer that they retain the value of the ptex repair.

You might get nothing from OC Snow Sports, but at least they will know that you did indeed take the skis elsewhere and that work was performed on the skis. The receipt supports that.
I'd also enclose the pictures, as proof. Otherwise they can just say that Footloose scammed her.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd also enclose the pictures, as proof. Otherwise they can just say that Footloose scammed her.

Very true. Bad shops are like that guy you went on a date with once and all he talked about was how everyone at his workplace was an idiot except him. Red. Flag. OC Snow Sports will bash other shops unless presented with hard evidence that they cannot deny.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Side note, @GlassFast - when you send it in, at the bottom of the letter, put that you are cc’ing it to the Better Business Bureau and any ol’ man’s name. Ideally, if you have a male friend who is a lawyer, Male Friend, Esq would be great. Based on the original reaction you got, it’s possible that you sending a letter will not be enough.

As stupid as it is, you need the male halo to push the issue.

Honestly, I’ve worked in a wide variety of male dominated environments, and using this tactic enrages me at myself, but it’s effective, and you need action first and then structural societal change later.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Mike DeSantis at SkiMD (he's the owner) is as picky about perfect tunes as anybody anywhere. He's expensive, but that's the reason. I know people who won't take their skis to anyone else.

Yep, that's him! I only take my daily driver and higher end skis there since he is pricey for full service, but well worth it for the sticks you're on all the time for sure. I was skeptical, but @lisamamot convinced me with her experiences there and I definitely wasn't disappointed.

elemmac

Angel Diva

Honestly, this is laughable, IMHO. The same equipment that the Volkl factory uses? Maybe it's the same manufacturer of tuning equipment. But I can assure you that Volkl's factory that pumps out hundreds? thousands? of skis, has a much more streamlined and automated system than Joe-Schmoe's local ski shop.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna