• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New survey shows lunchtime is when most injuries occur

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That people get injured more when they're tired isn't surprising What knocked me to the floor was that New Zealand provides free accident insurance to everyone, resident and non-resident alike, who gets injured skiing.

Also (sorry, slight soapbox moment, but this is something I find irritating) the US can't provide good statistics like the ones listed here, because ski resorts in the US don't have to report injuries or deaths. The National Ski Patrol would have the most accurate statistics, but the evidently don't compile or release them.

Jilly

Staff member
None of this surprises me for sure. Tired riders can't react fast enough. Add in an alcoholic drink at lunch. .that 2pm stat is interesting.

Also after lunch you need to warm up again. Tackling that black just because you'll have to trek over from the lift, when it's right here, is never a good idea. Warm up on a green run again. Then tackle that black.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had this conversation with my son who's a patroller and yup most injuries are around lunchtime or later in the day. For some injuries they send in a helicopter to evacuate the patient, its not up to the actual ski area to make that call, they describe the injuries to a dispatcher on the other end of the ph and they make the decision whether its an ambulance or heli evac. As we live under the flight path of the heli's I've always noted that the majority of evacs are the afternoon. I've always had a theory that esp beginner and low intermediates might start the day off on the bunny slopes then after lunch have a bit more confidence so head up higher and get into trouble, I've seen many a power wedger straight lining down our intermediate slope completely out of control and hanging on by the skin of their teeth ready to crash into either another skier or the fence at the bottom !

To add insult to injury @SallyCat , the heli evacs are all paid for by ACC as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly