• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New skis - intermediate beginner - Salomon QST Myriad 85?

dmarie

Diva in Training
I am in the market for my first set of skis. As my husband and I have gotten picker with what we rent, and started asking questions about waist width and such - we decided it was time. We bought boots 3 years ago when we moved to Colorado (and knew we would be out each year).

I would classify myself as an intermediate beginner. First skied many years ago, but we only got out every few years. For the past 3 years, we have been out 4 or 5 times a year. I have been happy on greens. For the first time last year something really clicked and I picked up a bit of speed (though I wouldn't classify me as a speedster at all). I might eventually find myself on a blue. I tend to be tentative.

I skied on a Salomon Kiana (75 waist), which actually wasn't bad (though seemed to feel every bump). I skied on a Soulmate Line 90 ski, which I didn't like as much. I felt I was fighting the ski. So I thought I would look more in the 80-85 range. Last year I was skiing short on 148 cm. This year I have moved up to 151 cm, which feels good.

I have been looking at the Salomon QST Myriad 85, and was wanting to get some feedback. I do want a ski that has a little bit of room to grow, though I will never be a total speed demon. And I don't want to fight the ski all day.

Thoughts - or suggestions of where else I might look?

TIA,
dmarie

newboots

Angel Diva
:welcome:

Other people here can address your questions, but I wanted to say hi!

Jilly

Staff member
2. Salomon QST 85. I had tried the Lux 92, and didn't expect much from this skis, but did wonder about them. Wish I'd rented from WB that day. They would have been gone after the 3rd run. But I was stuck with them. Stiff and dead I found. We were skiing the chop in the Whistler bowl and I was struggling with them. Maybe too narrow for that stuff. But I didn't like them on the groomers either. I think it's the tip shape as it's different than anything I've skied before.

I demo'd them last winter at Whistler. But I've yet to like a Salomon ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have been looking at the Salomon QST Myriad 85, and was wanting to get some feedback. I do want a ski that has a little bit of room to grow, though I will never be a total speed demon. And I don't want to fight the ski all day.
Welcome! Would help to know height and weight. Have you taken any lessons in the last year or two?

I rented the Myriad 85 for a day in very warm spring conditions at Powder Mountain last March. Definitely worked better than the regular rental skis that were mid-70s I had the day before. I'm a petite, older, advanced skier. I liked the Myriad, but it's hard to say what that really means for you.

dmarie

Diva in Training
Hi, and thank you for the welcome and replies :smile:

marzNC - I am 5'7" and 162 lbs. I have not taken lessons recently. Last lesson was probably about 20 years ago. I didn't dislike the Solomon Kiana I skied, just felt it was a bit thin (and wondered if a ski with a medium waist would feel less bumpy). There is just so much out there, it gets overwhelming.

Jilly - I was wondering if these skis were stiff. I didn't know if they were anything like Kiana. I missed this post when i searched the forum.

Will keep reading. My goal right now is to become more consistently confident.

marzNC

Angel Diva
marzNC - I am 5'7" and 162 lbs. I have not taken lessons recently. Last lesson was probably about 20 years ago. I didn't dislike the Solomon Kiana I skied, just felt it was a bit thin (and wondered if a ski with a medium waist would feel less bumpy). There is just so much out there, it gets overwhelming.
Hmm, at your size even 151cm is still on the short side. That's about the length I used as an intermediate and I'm several inches shorter and much lighter.

Skis have changed in the last 20 years. A lesson with a good instructor could really be helpful. I didn't ski much while I was working. But had I known what I know now when I got my daughter started on skis, I would've invested in lessons for myself much sooner. Skiing is more fun on blue runs.

In any case, for Colorado going with skis in the mid-80s is a good idea. My all-mountain skis that I take out west are mid-80s.

As was mentioned for another Diva recently, have you considered a season lease? Then can try a few options without the commitment of buying skis that you might want to sell relatively soon.

Jilly

Staff member
I demo'd some skis when I wss at WB last March. Winner was the Atomic 95C. I'm a little shorter and lighter. These are my big mountain skis. I ski a tuned down race ski here in the east .

dmarie

Diva in Training
We rented skis last season. I think they were Rossingols. But I didn't write down what they were (pretty sure they were slimmer skis). I felt okay on whatever it was I was on last season. They would have been whatever they rent beginners.

Was going to rent this season, but the selection was limited when we went in a couple of place last November. When we started asking more questions about the skis, doing some research, that was when we decided it was time buy. My husband has his skis now, so I hate the inconvenience of having to do the ski rental thing for just 1.

I had actually thought about taking a lesson while skiing last weekend. Probably should really consider that. When I get going, it's great. But I struggle with confidence, fear picking up speed past a certain point (that my family says is better, but they would probably still call it meandering). Part of the problem is we only ski about 4 or 5 times a season. Maybe with our own skis we will expand on that.

When I stopped in at another shop earlier this week, I did have someone mention the Atomic Vantage 85 I think it was. That particular floor person felt it was a more forgiving ski than the Myriad would be. With the Myriad I am looking at the 153 cm; the Atomic is either 149 or 157 and the 157 scares me, feels like it would be so much longer (and I'm trying to work up to a better length for me, so no to the 149). He did explain that with the tip rocker, the effective ski edge really wasn't more than what I had been skiing.

I had another person brush off the Atomic (from what he said I got the feeling he didn't think it was built as well, and felt it was a very short term ski). But his favorite pick for me was also one of the more expensive skis, that upon more questioning, didn't really fit what I am needing. And the Atomic's were the least expensive of what I was looking at. So I don't feel as confident about what he was telling me.

I know longer skis are more stable, but can go faster. I know the 153's are on the shorter side of what I could go into. But having skied really short at 148 last year, and then having been on 151's this year, I feel quite nervous about 157's.

Much to think about...

Jilly

Staff member
But remember that these skis, both the Salomon and the Atomic have some rocker. So longer is OK. My carvers are 161 and my 95C are 171. That is about norm. 10 cm longer. @dmarie take a lesson it will make all the difference. Where are you skiing so maybe someone can recommend an instructor for you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had actually thought about taking a lesson while skiing last weekend. Probably should really consider that. When I get going, it's great. But I struggle with confidence, fear picking up speed past a certain point (that my family says is better, but they would probably still call it meandering). Part of the problem is we only ski about 4 or 5 times a season. Maybe with our own skis we will expand on that.
I hope you'll take a lesson sooner rather than later. I have a friend who started skiing when her kids were learning (ages 4 and 6) at my home hill (Massanutten in northern VA). Kids picked it up quickly since they did ski school. She only skied the two holiday weekends for four seasons, so no more than 5 days each season. Stayed on the greens for two seasons. When her youngest was still on greens, she really didn't get that much time on snow. Last season she took the kids to Alta Lodge in April (kids under 12 are free during late late season) when I was there. Because she taken a group lesson almost every ski weekend, she was able to ski the long greens from the first afternoon. After one group lesson that was a solo lesson with a very experienced L3 instructor, she was skiing the easiest blue. She did two more solo group lessons with the same instructor the next two days. In short, the lessons and practice at a tiny hill on only two greens and a short easy blue is why she could enjoy the much longer Alta blues off all the lifts.

Very little about skiing is intuitive for most people. In fact, what works best in terms of what to do when starting to go faster than seems comfortable goes against survival instincts. That's not only true for beginners but also for aspiring intermediates or advanced skiers who are starting to ski steeper terrain than before. Had I known what I know now when I started taking my daughter out west, I would've taken lessons far sooner. I could ski any groomer then but didn't have the fundamentals to go off-piste with confidence.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know longer skis are more stable, but can go faster. I know the 153's are on the shorter side of what I could go into. But having skied really short at 148 last year, and then having been on 151's this year, I feel quite nervous about 157's.
The next time you go ski, would you be willing to try out longer skis? Doesn't really matter what model initially.

A related story, the first time @alison wong went to a Demo Day in PA she was pretty nervous about trying out longer skis. Meaning skis that were a more appropriate length because she'd bought pretty short skis for her first pair. I helped her get on some skis for an intermediate at a reasonable length, nose height I think. She started out on a short green, found that she could turn the skis well, and then did a run on an easy blue for the second run. She spent the rest of the time checking out assorted skis in about that length.

For my first Demo Day, which was in NC, I had the advantage of having skied much longer straight skis. But was only an intermediate. Being petite, I would simply to a tent and ask for the shortest pair of skis. Every pair of skis I took out were too long. I was surprised at how easily I could tell whether a model was fun or too much work even on a short blue. Bought a pair during the summer based on what I learned. Wasn't exactly right but was way better than renting. Used them for a couple seasons when all I was doing was taking my daughter locally for a ski week just before Christmas and a few weekends in Jan-Feb.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was scared of sizing up initially at first too. The first skis I bought were 149cm. I inched up (literally) to a 152cm ski after a year. But before long I decided those weren't really doing it for me anymore. My current skis are 158cm (Head Absolute Joy) for the usual east coast conditions, and 163 (K2 Thrilluvit) for when we get actual snow or spring piles. For reference I am 5'4', 160 lbs. If you do want to size up, the difference between 151 and 153 isn't that big (remember, not all of it is up front). If you are still unsure of bumping up to 157cm, maybe rent/ demo one more time to see how a longer ski feels to you before buying. Or better yet, try to take the same ski out in different sizes for comparison.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are right...so many wonderful skis to choose from!

It can help to narrow down things if you start looking for particular features...what kind of terrain will you be skiing most of the time? If you want to stay on the shorter side of length, perhaps stay away from skis that have rocker-camber-rocker design or big rockers so your skis have more contact with the snow...look for camber rocker skis. Do you want metal or metal free...what type of construction? Do you prefer short radius or long radius turns?

You should probably look for ski length that come somewhere between your chin and nose area...and stay between 80-85 underfoot.

Do you ski primarily in Colorado?

dmarie

Diva in Training
You should probably look for ski length that come somewhere between your chin and nose area...and stay between 80-85 underfoot.

Do you ski primarily in Colorado?

Yes, primarily in Colorado. And I will be on groomed trails. With regard to construction, not sure on metal or metal free. I am thinking shorter turn radius (which simply means I can make shorter turns, right?). The 153 cm skis are just over my chin. The 157s would be closer to my nose.

The next time you go ski, would you be willing to try out longer skis? Doesn't really matter what model initially.

Yes, I would. Probably should. I have tried out different waist widths, but haven't bumped up in ski length. Probably will be surprised that longer would perhaps make things easier than I am expecting. Kind of like how a certain amount of speed, while sometimes seems scary, actually makes skiing so much easier (I know it is so much easier on the legs).

Very little about skiing is intuitive for most people. In fact, what works best in terms of what to do when starting to go faster than seems comfortable goes against survival instincts.

Yes to that! In particular, it does go against my survival instincts to go faster, and yet faster is a whole lot less work on the legs, and turning is easier. Funny how a run can seem steep when stopped in the middle, versus if I just relax and keep going instead of applying the brakes too often.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My opinion of Salomon skis is that they are kind of a "nervous" ski. I just have yet to find one that is smooth, and I don't ski a particularly "smooth" ski in my Black Pearls, which I find to be a nice blend of smooth/damp and lively. That being said, I have a friend who has progressed from a new skier to pushing advanced on a pair of Myriad 85s. Her boyfriend (runs the ski school here) picked them up for her and she never questioned it. She's not yet skied on anything else, really. I just felt like they toss me around like a bag of bones. Not my cuppa tea at all.

I think this has been asked, but can you demo? Nothing beats getting out on 4 or 5 skis in a day to feel the differences and see what makes you happy.

Jilly

Staff member
Call Keystone and see if @KatyPerrey is available. She's a Diva too. Maybe you can get a semi-private with someone you know, as I don't know what a private lesson would cost.

Like @contesstant, I've only met one Salomon that I ski for any length of time. The X-Max 12. It's their tuned down race ski. And Salomon is a big seller here. Metal is going to make the ski stiffer. Which may not be something you need right now.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was going to rent this season, but the selection was limited when we went in a couple of place last November. When we started asking more questions about the skis, doing some research, that was when we decided it was time buy. My husband has his skis now, so I hate the inconvenience of having to do the ski rental thing for just 1.

Welcome @dmarie! I just wanted to point out for a seasonal rental you don't return the skis each time. You keep them for the entire season and only take them back for tunes or waxing or if you want to try a new length. This far in the season you might get a deal. I have one and it's not inconvenient as a daily rental would be. But I understand the desire to have you own skis.

dmarie

Diva in Training
My opinion of Salomon skis is that they are kind of a "nervous" ski.

I just felt like they toss me around like a bag of bones.

I found on the Salomon Kiana that I felt every bump (it was a little choppy in spots). I attributed that to the narrower waist. But - Is that what you mean by nervous ski and being tossed around? That you feel every little bump?

Welcome @dmarie! I just wanted to point out for a seasonal rental you don't return the skis each time. You keep them for the entire season and only take them back for tunes or waxing or if you want to try a new length. This far in the season you might get a deal. I have one and it's not inconvenient as a daily rental would be. But I understand the desire to have you own skis.

Thank you CrystalRose! If I could find a deal might still be doable this season. We will only make it out a few more times, so wouldn't want to pay full season price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna