• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New skis and boots have me struggling!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m in Warner,NH and went to Skinner’s in Newbury, NH near mount sunapee. We ski pat’s peak. I forget the name of the guy who helped me just remember that they call him “the boot whisperer”
Skinner's has been around for 50 years. They put on a very good demo day for Ladies Day event at Sunapee.

Sounds like you have a good bootfitter. Go back and get something that fits well from him. I bet it will work out since you are going to be persistent. AKA pushy. Go for it!
What she said!

Christy

Angel Diva
It is such an easy thing to try, to just take out the lifts and see the difference, that it's a great place to start.

I'll also say I had no issues in rental boots when learning to ski, despite the fact they certainly didn't fit snugly or correctly. The quad burn didn't start until I got my own boots with too much forward lean.

AHendrickx

Certified Ski Diva
So update- took out the heel lifts and it was much better but my arches started hurting. Put in one (I had two in each boot originally) and that went away. It was way easier to stay forward but my foot was sliding forward. The boot was definitely too big.

Went back to skinners and was fitted into a totally different boot that was a size smaller and on the narrow side. They were super apologetic that I was ever put into the first boot. I’ll be going out this weekend to try to it out but it does feel so much more snug and when I flex forward there is zero heel lift and I can feel the pressure if the boot down on my heel to hold it in place. I didn’t feel that at all in my other boots.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So update-.....
...Went back to skinners and was fitted into a totally different boot that was a size smaller and on the narrow side. They were super apologetic that I was ever put into the first boot. I’ll be going out this weekend to try to it out but it does feel so much more snug and when I flex forward there is zero heel lift and I can feel the pressure if the boot down on my heel to hold it in place. I didn’t feel that at all in my other boots.
Oh I am so so so glad to hear this. Good for you doing what had to be done to get this fixed, and good for them for apologizing and fixing you up with another better fitting boot.

Was it hard to walk in there and tell them they put you in the wrong boot? How did doing that feel?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
What I find interesting: We need a bootfitter - accepted. We should ideally not go in with pre-assumptions about what boot we want but let the boot fitter do their expertise.

BUT.

If we're unprepared or naive, we can easily end up in the wrong boot (or ski, tbh)

YIKES.

Jenny

Angel Diva
What I find interesting: We need a bootfitter - accepted. We should ideally not go in with pre-assumptions about what boot we want but let the boot fitter do their expertise.

BUT.

If we're unprepared or naive, we can easily end up in the wrong boot (or ski, tbh)

YIKES.
It’s so hard when you first start skiing. You have no experience with any of this stuff, and you’re just at the mercy of others. And I’m not even saying there's anything malicious about it, but you just don’t know. They ask how it feels, you say fine. Later on, you realize that it's not fine.

Glad you were at a place that treated you well, @AHendrickx!

AHendrickx

Certified Ski Diva
Was it hard to walk in there and tell them they put you in the wrong boot? How did doing that feel?
Haha it was a little hard. I just went in and flat out said “I bought boots last week and have skied in them twice but they are just too big - my foot is moving too much” they were super understanding and spent a good amount of time diagnosing what was going on. There was no charge for the exchange... they apologized again and said we were just going to trade them out. When I looked up the boot when I got home it was actually a more expensive boot so I wish I had asked what the price difference was an offered to pay... but I just assumed they were the same price!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@AHendrickx ... now they probably have you as a loyal customer for life, though. And a great reference. So, they knew what they were doing. :smile: I’m SO happy to hear that the story resolved well, especially b/c I’m looking at new boots next season (and dreading it)! Looking forward to hearing how they feel while skiing.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you haven't skied the new boots yet-- did you bring your skis in with you when you got the new boots fitted? You mentioned that they are a size smaller, so if they didn't do it for you yet the bindings will need to be adjusted for the new boot sole length.

AHendrickx

Certified Ski Diva
If you haven't skied the new boots yet-- did you bring your skis in with you when you got the new boots fitted? You mentioned that they are a size smaller, so if they didn't do it for you yet the bindings will need to be adjusted for the new boot sole length.
I didn’t - they were in my husbands car and we weren’t thinking and took my car that afternoon to the shop but they did tell me my bindings will need to be adjusted before I ski again. My husband is bringing them in today on his way home from work with my new boots to have them adjusted before we go out again this weekend

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

BUT.

YIKES.
I hate to say this (no I don't), but...this same thing happens very often with women and auto mechanics, amirit? If you don't know the place, and you don't know (or at least, appear to know) enough about car repairs, they're gonna try to sell you something, and not necessarily exactly what you need.
[NB - this phenomenon has actually been documented by having men and women go to the exact same shops with the exact same car problem, and noting the difference (often huge) in what they were told].

Being assertive (in a nice, but firm way) always helps!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
With my first car, I used to keep the book that had all the maintenance details in the car. I’d look up the problem, take it in with a semi-literate hypothesis and then ensure that they saw the book so that they knew I wasn’t messing around. That’s why I liked ”I have been skiing x at y” because it’s that semi-literate hypothesis.

I feel much more confident going in and telling them that I’ve been chattering on blues at Alpine on warmer days than going in and saying, “hey, I think this is too short” ...

My current plan is to keep these (because they are pretty solid when it’s super firm) and then on periodic solo days, I’m thinking of demo’ing some alternatives ...

Back to the OP ... were you worried about weight when you chose short? Or was it the actual length that was concerning?

AHendrickx

Certified Ski Diva
Back to the OP ... were you worried about weight when you chose short? Or was it the actual length that was concerning?

When I chose 156 cm skis? A little of both I guess. When I was in rentals at 140 cm that was just what they suggested to us to learn on. When I got my k2’s I just wanted something that I could feel confident on and not afraid of in my attempts to keep up with my speedy 7 y/o who has taken to skiing like a fish to water.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Oh, the kids keep us moving, don’t they? Solidarity! My 9 yo was the slower of my two and now she’s definitely lapped me.

I’m asking b/c I’m 5’7” and packing 10 more lbs than you, so I’m trying to decide what ski length I want for my next ski.

:becky:

AHendrickx

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, the kids keep us moving, don’t they? Solidarity! My 9 yo was the slower of my two and now she’s definitely lapped me.

I’m asking b/c I’m 5’7” and packing 10 more lbs than you, so I’m trying to decide what ski length I want for my next ski.

:becky:

That they do!! Yeah I feel like I have such a poor perspective bc my jump from 140 to 156 was rough d/t my boots. However the second time I went out I had more confidence and started to love my skis at times despite the boot issues and I definitely felt much more stable going faster which helped me be less afraid of the speed and more able to keep up. I wanted to have smaller turn radius too since I’m still learning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna