• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Ski Tips

Hail3yBop

Diva in Training
My Fiancé and I are headed to New York this weekend for our first ski trip of the year. We have both been skiing for multiple years, but this will be our first trip with all of our own gear (including brand new skis!). What are some tips or recommendations you have as to skiing on new skis? How should you get used to them or how do you figure out what may need to be adjusted?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Start out on easy runs, that's what I say. If you need to do some adjusting to your new sticks, you sure don't want to discover that on some hair-raising ice-covered steep pitch. Start out with whatever your mountain offers as a green cruiser, then move up to the easier blue cruisers. You ought to have a good sense for how your skis are going to maneuver, etc. after several runs like that.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And congrats on scoring a full set of your own gear. It's amazing what a difference that makes for skill progression, to have some consistent, reliable gear underfoot.

Hail3yBop

Diva in Training
@marzNC- We will be skiing in the Catskills. I know there can be lots of adjustments made to both boots and skis so wanted to see what to pay attention to that may help us while on our first runs.
@Serafina- Yes! We will definitely be starting out on some greens first! We are in no rush and I’m really interested to see how skiing with our own equipment will go!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I skied demos last season I developed a routine for getting comfortable on new sticks quick. Pick terrain you feel confident on, and do a few turns, then stop. Repeat, stopping the other way. I do this on my first run out EVERY time I ski. Next thing I like to do is lay down 3-5 big turns and 3-5 tight turns. This helps me understand edge hold and turn radius. Judging by how I feel after that, I'll usually stop and stretch, adjust gear, and decide what to ski next.

Remember, you can always do more, but you can never undo what's already done. Start small and work your way up. If it stops being fun, take it down a notch, or get hot cocoa.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you bought your skis and boots from the same shop they should have done this but if not, make sure that the bindings on the skis are set for your boots and weight, any shop can take care of this. Also if the skis are new they will come tuned and waxed but if you bought them used, you will probably want this done. Remember at the end of the day to knock off any snow on your skis before you put them in the car (so your car doesn't get wet but also so the edges wont that). Keep an eye on the bases throughout the season, if they start to look grey its time for a wax. If you notice a decline in edge hold time for a tune. Most casual begginer-intermediate skiers get away with tuning at the start (if not done at the end of the season), halfway through and at the end of the season. More advanced skiers will do so more frequently.

Once on your skis recognize that they are probably a bit stiffer and maybe longer than you are used to. Starting on gentle terrain is good. Don't beat yourself up if you have a couple of spins when you start out, you will get used to them. Remember to keep your shins on the front of your boots and your hands forward to stay out of the back seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna