• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New research shows that 150,000 skiers/snowboarders get injured every year

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Audski, did ski patrol come to deal with the incident? Did they record what happened, and the name of the kid who hit you in their record? Just curious....
I hope you get some satisfaction from your very legitimate suit.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
@Audski, did ski patrol come to deal with the incident? Did they record what happened, and the name of the kid who hit you in their record? Just curious....
I hope you get some satisfaction from your very legitimate suit.
I was examined and treated at medical services/ski patrol. They got Info from witnesses that came to medical services with me and provided me with the kids info. I also asked the kid his name on the scene.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I was hit, also at Whiteface, by an out of control skier. My leg was broken in three places. I sued, and won. I only sued for medical expenses, since I figured, you go up on the mountain in skis knowing it can be dangerous, so I should just be getting my out of pocket reimbursed. In retrospect, I should have gotten more, considering 3 months in a cast and still having issues with that leg due to the break. If you have questions or I can be of any help, let me know.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I was hit, also at Whiteface, by an out of control skier. My leg was broken in three places. I sued, and won. I only sued for medical expenses, since I figured, you go up on the mountain in skis knowing it can be dangerous, so I should just be getting my out of pocket reimbursed. In retrospect, I should have gotten more, considering 3 months in a cast and still having issues with that leg due to the break. If you have questions or I can be of any help, let me know.
Wow. That's horrible. I'm glad you sued and won. Im private messaging you.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I have a friend who's nearly 80; A snowboarder popped out of the woods and broke both of her legs in two places each. That was over a year ago and she can barely walk, though the doctor reluctantly said she could go out on green slopes only. The mountain (Copper) told her "these things happen" and that the boarder had no liability!

@Audski : I wish you fast and total healing!!!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
She's very positive about both skiing and biking. (For her 75th birthday she rode from the South Carolina coast to the California coast; She plans to do another big ride this summer.)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snowski/swimmouse, stories like yours make me so mad.

Is there no way to lessen the frequency of incidents like this?

Right now I'm thinking it's impossible to change the way people behave on the mountain. There are so many of them, selfishness is affirmed in our culture, people who can "ski" don't take lessons, ski patrol doesn't pull their tickets, and the legal system lets them get by with it. The mountains are hungry for profits, so they don't enforce the code.

Is there no way out of this dilemma?

Christy

Angel Diva
I have a friend who's nearly 80; A snowboarder popped out of the woods and broke both of her legs in two places each. That was over a year ago and she can barely walk, though the doctor reluctantly said she could go out on green slopes only. The mountain (Copper) told her "these things happen"

That's why people get lawyers. Did she try to go that route?

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
@snowski/swimmouse, stories like yours make me so mad.

Is there no way to lessen the frequency of incidents like this?

Right now I'm thinking it's impossible to change the way people behave on the mountain. There are so many of them, selfishness is affirmed in our culture, people who can "ski" don't take lessons, ski patrol doesn't pull their tickets, and the legal system lets them get by with it. The mountains are hungry for profits, so they don't enforce the code.

Is there no way out of this dilemma?
The kid that crashed into me didn't have his pass pulled by the mountain. According to the kid's mother he didn't ski the next week because he was "too distraught" but the week after he returned to Whiteface. A bit miffed that he was allowed to keep skiing there after being so out of control that he broke a ski rack and injured another person.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I have a friend who's nearly 80; A snowboarder popped out of the woods and broke both of her legs in two places each. That was over a year ago and she can barely walk, though the doctor reluctantly said she could go out on green slopes only. The mountain (Copper) told her "these things happen" and that the boarder had no liability!

@Audski : I wish you fast and total healing!!!
I think one of the problems with suing for personal injury is that most people don't think to exchange personal information at the scene of a crash. Typically the offending party rides off after a few apologies. I thought to ask this kid his name, and ski patrol gave me more information about the ski club he was with. Otherwise, we really have no way of knowing who someone is, or if they've given us truthful information about their identity to sue. Also, when we get into a ski crash there is an "Assumption of risk". It doesn't mean it's impossible to sue, just makes things hard. I'm so sorry about your friend. What a horrible situation.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
The kid that crashed into me didn't have his pass pulled by the mountain. According to the kid's mother he didn't ski the next week because he was "too distraught" but the week after he returned to Whiteface. A bit miffed that he was allowed to keep skiing there after being so out of control that he broke a ski rack and injured another person.

Such a blatant disregard for other human beings should ALWAYS result in yanking of ticket. This WILL change behavior as it leaves a lasting impression ~most~ of the time and it doesn't cost the mountain anything to do so. A girl I used to race with is now a ski patroller at Beech Mountain NC and yanks tickets faster than anyone I've ever seen. As a result of this and major safety adjustments to the slopes themselves, Beech has gone from the most unsafe mountain (they were sued big time by another of our racers) to one of the safest I've ever seen. It CAN be done!

Personally, I've been lucky and only cracked two ribs when a newbe coming straight down unable to turn crashed into me while I was standing in the lift line...

kiki

Angel Diva
This is one of the reasons I ski where I do. I notice that behavior is worst and not as well patrolled at some local hills, like Cypress, so choose to drive farther and pay more to feel safer where the ski patrol does pull people over for bad skiing (i find WB is good at this). Also when i get the online surveys from the ski hill I always mention this as I want to make sure the mountain management is aware of how much we consumers care about safety and the patrol work done.

newboots

Angel Diva
This is discouraging. I wonder how much support there might be (through ski clubs, online ski forums) to putting some organized pressure on resorts.

Christy

Angel Diva
I can envision a local news story on this. Frankly, the kind I might typically roll my eyes at. "80-year-old woman badly injured by reckless snowboarder, and Copper Mt says, too bad! Do YOU know how safe your local ski resorts are?"

But I dunno, maybe you could get a local reporter interested in this? I mean, it's not like we're taking about suing a resort because you fell on a bump or something. It seems crazy that we hold people accountable for reckless behaviors in so many other activities, but not this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna