• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: New Powder Skis?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have yet to really get the Camox Birdies in some cement will see how they work, they are dreamy in wind buff.

Last year was pretty much over 8 inches each storm LOL, and plenty deep in the trees. I didn't mind my powder skis at all.

The chopped cement I think also has to do with where your skiing, for some reason a 'blue' run full of snowboard tracks seems worse than anything. Off the top usually have some wind to keep things lite and people who know what they are doing - i.e. consistent tracks. The feeder runs at the bottom are all messed up.

In fact, despite June Mountain being very low tide, the one redeeming quality for which I sacrificed my skis on the way back to the lift was that Deer Bowl had some of the best spaced (mini) moguls I've skied in a while.

Yes if and when anyone finds the holy grail of cement busters, let us know ;0
Sorry, I was replying to skibum, but forgot to quote her! She stated she struggles with her powder skis on hard/scraped off snow. (At least, that's what I think she was referring to.)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and I want to add that there is no perfect ski in all conditions, and searching for the Holy Grail of skis can end up being frustrating. So can constantly swapping skis if you aren't a fairly advanced skier. I've finally decided to stick with one ski this winter, and will only drag out the powder skis when we have actual powder. The more consistent I am with one pair of skis, the more consistently I ski, and the better I ski. (The skis I am now on are the 2018 Black Pearl 88s.) 88 is a magical width. Skis with carbon and no metal do get tossed around a bit more. Stay centered, stay balanced, and go slower. Pick a ski that you love, and ski it. No ski is going to magically make dense, chopped up snow EASY to ski. That type of snow is just not easy to ski. Slow down, lower your expectations of yourself, and work on linking up round turns. If it's THAT frustrating, and THAT painful (I get it, I have arthritic knees and that pesky LCL tear) then maybe it's time to head for the bar for a hot toddy :becky:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and I want to add that there is no perfect ski in all conditions, and searching for the Holy Grail of skis can end up being frustrating. So can constantly swapping skis if you aren't a fairly advanced skier. I've finally decided to stick with one ski this winter, and will only drag out the powder skis when we have actual powder. The more consistent I am with one pair of skis, the more consistently I ski, and the better I ski. (The skis I am now on are the 2018 Black Pearl 88s.) 88 is a magical width. Skis with carbon and no metal do get tossed around a bit more. Stay centered, stay balanced, and go slower. Pick a ski that you love, and ski it. No ski is going to magically make dense, chopped up snow EASY to ski. That type of snow is just not easy to ski. Slow down, lower your expectations of yourself, and work on linking up round turns. If it's THAT frustrating, and THAT painful (I get it, I have arthritic knees and that pesky LCL tear) then maybe it's time to head for the bar for a hot toddy :becky:
Yes. Also wholeheartedly agree with shorter skis being easier on the knees. My first few days this season were on longer skis and wider. My knees got so sore, they were fine before. Thinking it was the width after many years of skiing on wider skis, I grabbed a pair of dd’s old skis shorter and narrower. Felt much better and then was able to ski wide skis for 3 days in a row without pain at a shorter length as well.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. Also wholeheartedly agree with shorter skis being easier on the knees. My first few days this season were on longer skis and wider. My knees got so sore, they were fine before. Thinking it was the width after many years of skiing on wider skis, I grabbed a pair of dd’s old skis shorter and narrower. Felt much better and then was able to ski wide skis for 3 days in a row without pain at a shorter length as well.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised that for my all-mountain ski, the shorter length was a dream (it took a few runs to get used to the "decreased stability".) It wasn't decreased stability, I was just using the length as a crutch. I can ski the shorter skis much more centered and balanced, and they are certainly not an inappropriate length at all--they come to my eyebrows when I'm wearing socks! Now, a true powder ski will be longer for sure, but will only be used for deeper powder. Otherwise, those 88s in a 159 are an all-mountain machine. I've skied with a ton of L3's and examiners the past two seasons, and guess what? They KILL it in any snow on 88s and narrower. Now, in TRUE powder (say, 1 foot or deeper) they do tend to drag out the powder skis. But they don't NEED to. I tagged along in an instructor clinic last season when it was dumping snow, and there was 15 inches of fresh, and they were ALL on 88s or narrower. Hmmmm, maybe the professionals actually know what they're doing?

I think in internet land, we get so wrapped up in chasing the latest and greatest, and drooling over powder and powder skis (which, truth be told, we don't get to ski THAT often) that we tend to think that new skis will somehow make us ski better. When in fact, what we need is a ski that feels good to us in the majority of conditions we ski regularly, then go ski them--over and over. I know I've been very guilty of chasing the holy grail of skis...maybe I'm just lucky that I was able to test (demo) the Black Pearls in a HUGE variety of horrifying and lovely conditions over a two day period last season (three--2000 vert runs total) and knew that I'd found "MY" ski. So, maybe I FOUND my holy grail, I don't know! All I know is last season, even after I got the BPs, I'd drag out the Santa Anas with one ounce of fresh snow, then I'd adapt to them, then go back to the BPs, then have to readjust to them. Then I'd constantly be wishing I had brought "x" ski. It was kind of stupid.

I will also say, the 100mm skis were absolutely harder on my knees, even in powder. Still are. I brought out the new Sheevas last week when we supposedly had about 6 inches of fresh, which turned out to not be so, and I was wishing for my BPs.

I don't know. We're all different. But observing expert skiers skiing on true all-mountain (and narrower) skis, that are skis available to use mere mortals, really got me thinking. Pick a pair you like, that are suitable for most conditions, that can help you learn to carve, and go SKI them! And demo in conditions you'll encounter the most.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've always had one pair of skis!!! Until ski diva forum. Now have two that are similar measurements. One is new and the other is 3-4 years old.. BF has the soul 7's and those are all he skis.. but I'm always reading reviews etc and think oh maybe I need more skis!!!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve always stuck to one ski for most days. My biggest mistake was going to buy a narrower ski and walking out with a fatter one. I do love the skis but really want a more all mountain ski. I am currently using a pair that is no less than 10 years old, 12 cm shorter and I’m pretty ok with it. I would like a new pair though. Just very undecided on which one and not much for demos here.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve always stuck to one ski for most days. My biggest mistake was going to buy a narrower ski and walking out with a fatter one. I do love the skis but really want a more all mountain ski. I am currently using a pair that is no less than 10 years old, 12 cm shorter and I’m pretty ok with it. I would like a new pair though. Just very undecided on which one and not much for demos here.
Maybe some Diva demos available? Sometimes, in a situation like yours, you have to roll the dice and go with something that's highly recommended by a lot of people.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised that for my all-mountain ski, the shorter length was a dream (it took a few runs to get used to the "decreased stability".) It wasn't decreased stability, I was just using the length as a crutch. I can ski the shorter skis much more centered and balanced, and they are certainly not an inappropriate length at all--they come to my eyebrows when I'm wearing socks! Now, a true powder ski will be longer for sure, but will only be used for deeper powder. Otherwise, those 88s in a 159 are an all-mountain machine. I've skied with a ton of L3's and examiners the past two seasons, and guess what? They KILL it in any snow on 88s and narrower. Now, in TRUE powder (say, 1 foot or deeper) they do tend to drag out the powder skis. But they don't NEED to. I tagged along in an instructor clinic last season when it was dumping snow, and there was 15 inches of fresh, and they were ALL on 88s or narrower. Hmmmm, maybe the professionals actually know what they're doing?

I think in internet land, we get so wrapped up in chasing the latest and greatest, and drooling over powder and powder skis (which, truth be told, we don't get to ski THAT often) that we tend to think that new skis will somehow make us ski better. When in fact, what we need is a ski that feels good to us in the majority of conditions we ski regularly, then go ski them--over and over. I know I've been very guilty of chasing the holy grail of skis...maybe I'm just lucky that I was able to test (demo) the Black Pearls in a HUGE variety of horrifying and lovely conditions over a two day period last season (three--2000 vert runs total) and knew that I'd found "MY" ski. So, maybe I FOUND my holy grail, I don't know! All I know is last season, even after I got the BPs, I'd drag out the Santa Anas with one ounce of fresh snow, then I'd adapt to them, then go back to the BPs, then have to readjust to them. Then I'd constantly be wishing I had brought "x" ski. It was kind of stupid.

I will also say, the 100mm skis were absolutely harder on my knees, even in powder. Still are. I brought out the new Sheevas last week when we supposedly had about 6 inches of fresh, which turned out to not be so, and I was wishing for my BPs.

I don't know. We're all different. But observing expert skiers skiing on true all-mountain (and narrower) skis, that are skis available to use mere mortals, really got me thinking. Pick a pair you like, that are suitable for most conditions, that can help you learn to carve, and go SKI them! And demo in conditions you'll encounter the most.

Really love this @contesstant ...I've been working on exploring more conditions and terrain this season...and enjoying it all with my 80 underfoot, shorter (comes up to eyebrows, too) ski....while not mastered, I am learning to ski bumps, crud and deeper powder with one ski...I don't find a lack of stability...but more control by staying balanced...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really love this @contesstant ...I've been working on exploring more conditions and terrain this season...and enjoying it all with my 80 underfoot, shorter (comes up to eyebrows, too) ski....while not mastered, I am learning to ski bumps, crud and deeper powder with one ski...I don't find a lack of stability...but more control by staying balanced...
Yes, more control with the balance and increased maneuverability! Glad you are having the same experience.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well its interesting. found this while searching for reviews.
Lexi Dowdall's Freeskier Magazine 2018 Womens Ski Reviews -- https://kapowder.carbonmade.com/projects/6575043 .... I don't think I've ever read a review from Lexi where she opines for a shorter ski during a demo, but she does several times despite claiming to prefer skis 170-174 cm in length.
:wink:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe some Diva demos available? Sometimes, in a situation like yours, you have to roll the dice and go with something that's highly recommended by a lot of people.
I went into the other shop yesterday and they demo. I haven’t been there forever. I’m demoing the kenja ( which I have almost bought a few times ) and wild joy. I’ve skied the Santa Ana narrower version, fine but not one I’d buy and would love to try the black pearl. The guy didn’t think I would like the kenja but thinks I will love the other one. Which I think after reading reviews, he might be right...it’s a little wider than I want but the characteristics sound spot on. We shall see.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went into the other shop yesterday and they demo. I haven’t been there forever. I’m demoing the kenja ( which I have almost bought a few times ) and wild joy. I’ve skied the Santa Ana narrower version, fine but not one I’d buy and would love to try the black pearl. The guy didn’t think I would like the kenja but thinks I will love the other one. Which I think after reading reviews, he might be right...it’s a little wider than I want but the characteristics sound spot on. We shall see.
Be sure to report back!

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well its interesting. found this while searching for reviews.
Lexi Dowdall's Freeskier Magazine 2018 Womens Ski Reviews -- https://kapowder.carbonmade.com/projects/6575043 .... I don't think I've ever read a review from Lexi where she opines for a shorter ski during a demo, but she does several times despite claiming to prefer skis 170-174 cm in length.
:wink:

One definitely needs special skis for big mountain skiing!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Sorry, by "cement" I meant "Sierra Cement" which is what often passes for powder in the Sierras. I was not referring to hard pack.

The next storm is looking colder and perhaps will yield some genuine powder.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sorry, by "cement" I meant "Sierra Cement" which is what often passes for powder in the Sierras. I was not referring to hard pack.

The next storm is looking colder and perhaps will yield some genuine powder.
Yes indeed!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SO here is todays list, I’ll give more detailed report tomorrow after she tries the Icelandic (P3 has in town). Demos from Mountain (canyon). Sad. They only carried men’s ski in a 100+ waist skis - I guess they don’t make $$ on women’s powder ski, so it became a 98 waist demo b/c men’s skis they had too long for her. I thought if she liked the feel of the ski we could always seek out a fatter version. DD was kind of ticked that no “powder” skis - b/c well that’s what the day was for. 6-8 inches of fresh on top of “west coast crust” turned chopped mid weight junk, w/ tons of fresh in the trees. A PERFECT day to demo skis! I decided to try along with her......

Armada - Trace 98 YES
Blizzard Sheeva - not available and DD not interested in BP???
Head Great Joy YES
Icelantic Maiden 101 she will try tomorrow.
Nordica Santa Anna Didn’t try
Rossignol Soul 7 HD W YES
Salomon QST Stella 106 not available, BUT I tried men’s 106 she tried 92 waist women’s ski?
K2 LuvBoat (at P3 may switch mid day tomorrow)
Volkl 100Eight not available, so WE both tried the men’s 90Eight

Some highlights:

“Mom these skis all handle handle the crusty ice - I can get an edge.” Me: yes when you don’t slide 20+ rails a day your edges stay sharp.

DD can carve the Great Joy SWITCH

Lets go in the trees! Great! Note to self: Do Not wear your new puffy jacket on a potential follow DD thru the tree day. Now need to repair rip near under arm - currently covered w/ packing tape generously supplied from lodge. small green branches hide deadwood :( Birds will have some water proof coated feathers to line their nests....

Last edited:

jcat

Certified Ski Diva
So I ski the TST as my daily driver, but I ski it in a length that is probably too short (165). I think the TST excels at the playfulness that a lot of Armada skis seem to exhibit but maybe lacks the stability at speed due to the tip shape and dimensions of the ski. The Trace 108 felt playful and I loved it in the bumps, but had a smidge more dampness to it than the TST, and when I took it in chopped up powder it ate it up and allowed me to carry a speed I wouldnt be able to achieve on my TSTs. The turning radius is longer on the Trace 108, which certainly adds in. And, while I say 'dampness' it is still not what I would consider a damp ski, as I'm not usually fan of skis that have that characteristic. To me, in a nutshell, the Trace 108 felt like a more 'mature' version of the TST, if that makes sense.

Kimmy, I'm 5'4" and like to charge, but I haven't skied anything longer than 167 (Atomic Backlands 109), and was looking at the Trace 108 in a 164 length. Do you think it'll be too short? I'm 117lbs. Also wondering how it compares to the Liberty Genesis 106...I'm getting more interested in the Trace, as maybe it cuts through crud better than the Liberties...?? thanks!!!!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@jcat jcat my DD has been using the Trace 98 in a 164 as her powder ski - it looks a touch long on her but she's 5'3". I demod the Trace 98 in the 164 and the 172. I'm your height but + 10lbs. I could ride either ski depending on conditions. If I was going to buy the 108 I probably would get the 164 as I'm more in the trees, I figure it would have a bit more float then the 98. Super fun ski :smile:

Another 108 width ski that may fit more of your carving/fun on groomers request is the Elan Rip Stick 108.

Hopefully @Kimmyt will chime in....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna