• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: New Powder Skis?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just read the specs on the Atomic Backland. It sounds like it might be just what I want - want, not need.

Has anyone skied them in heavy powder?
The Backland is pretty decent in powder, but then I only skied it in Utah and Colorado, so I didn't have experience in Tahoe type of powder.
IMHO the Blizzard Sheeva 10 may be a better fit for Tahoe powder because of its rocker profile.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just read the specs on the Atomic Backland. It sounds like it might be just what I want - want, not need.

That's the ski @SnowHot recommended for me last year -Atomic badland 102 and I really want to try it!!!!! The nordica Santa Ana 2017 was meh in heavy Sierra cement. But then the Sheeva 10 came out! Think there is a comparison between the atomic badlands and Sheeva . Both sound perfect!

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wonder which ski should replace my aging Blizzard Samba?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Did you check skis available to Demo at Canyon (supposedly more available vs. Main)-- I checked last trip I can't remember what they had for Atomic, but they do usually carry the Bent Chetler / Trace. They also had a lot of skis on my short list for DD. Just waiting for more snow on a non holiday to start the speed demo.

Have you tried the Volkl 100Eight? I'm really curious how that would handle chopped cement

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes and no. If that makes sense, they both work for me. Curious why do you think you need to replace ? The vintage of Samba we both have seems to be extra durable. Really I have over 120 days and the bases are still in great shape despite the rocks, floaters, trees etc that I ride over. The top sheets have a few chips. But over all if all skis were made like that, you would only need to replace if you were bored. Which maybe your are?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes and no. If that makes sense, they both work for me. Curious why do you think you need to replace ? The vintage of Samba we both have seems to be extra durable. Really I have over 120 days and the bases are still in great shape despite the rocks, floaters, trees etc that I ride over. The top sheets have a few chips. But over all if all skis were made like that, you would only need to replace if you were bored. Which maybe your are?
Actually mine are in pretty good shape. I bought as demo and switched out the bindings. I guess I was just thinking about the Atomic Badlands 102 or the new Sheeva 10. Also the newer Sambas (now BP 98) have really changed. Maybe I wouldn't even like them. You're right. I do like the Sambas I currently own. You know always thinking of the latest and greatest.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So maybe something wider - with more float for the crud? Like you say the Sheaves or the Atomic ...There are so many good skis ;)
Part of my quest has to to with length for DD at 5'2 but strong skier. So looking at skis +/- 160. I think.

What about the Black Crows Atris Birdie now in 160 at 108 could be super fun ;0

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So maybe something wider - with more float for the crud? Like you say the Sheaves or the Atomic ...There are so many good skis ;)
Part of my quest has to to with length for DD at 5'2 but strong skier. So looking at skis +/- 160. I think.

What about the Black Crows Atris Birdie now in 160 at 108 could be super fun ;0
Actually I'm beginning to think 2 additional pairs of skis. Something a little wider and something in the mid-high 80's...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Or another thought is the head great Joy could replace the Samba....I really liked that ski!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Did you check skis available to Demo at Canyon (supposedly more available vs. Main)-- I checked last trip I can't remember what they had for Atomic, but they do usually carry the Bent Chetler / Trace. They also had a lot of skis on my short list for DD. Just waiting for more snow on a non holiday to start the speed demo.

Have you tried the Volkl 100Eight? I'm really curious how that would handle chopped cement

I haven't been at Mammoth for a powder day yet this season. But hopefully one day soon I'll get to ski some fresh snow. Since I'm skiing better, I'm considering doing some demos. In truth, Mr. Skibum needs new skis. I do not. However ...

My excuse will be that I need a better powder ski because it will put less strain on my "bad" leg. I am skiing Nordica Wildfire 162 cm 104 width. They are great in powder but less great in "cement". If I feel that a different ski might make my cement skiing easier, perhaps I'll check out what Canyon Lodge has to offer. I need to select 3 or 4 skis that I'd like to demo, then investigate what is available at Canyon.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question: Why are you skiing a powder ski on cement? Seems to me maybe you need a better "all-mountain" or hard snow ski??
I am finding that I don't LIKE my fat skis (Santa Anas to Sheevas, doesn't matter which ones) on anything but truly deep powder (as in, a good 8 inches or more.) The Black Pearls are my go-to on anything else. I also went shorter with them, which is easier on my knees--less edge to release and engage, making turning easier. I don't feel any sacrifice in stability at all.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question: Why are you skiing a powder ski on cement? Seems to me maybe you need a better "all-mountain" or hard snow ski?? I am finding that I don't LIKE my fat skis (Santa Anas to Sheevas, doesn't matter which ones) on anything but truly deep powder (as in, a good 8 inches or more.)

I have yet to really get the Camox Birdies in some cement will see how they work, they are dreamy in wind buff.

Last year was pretty much over 8 inches each storm LOL, and plenty deep in the trees. I didn't mind my powder skis at all.

The chopped cement I think also has to do with where your skiing, for some reason a 'blue' run full of snowboard tracks seems worse than anything. Off the top usually have some wind to keep things lite and people who know what they are doing - i.e. consistent tracks. The feeder runs at the bottom are all messed up.

In fact, despite June Mountain being very low tide, the one redeeming quality for which I sacrificed my skis on the way back to the lift was that Deer Bowl had some of the best spaced (mini) moguls I've skied in a while.

Yes if and when anyone finds the holy grail of cement busters, let us know ;0

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
. I am skiing Nordica Wildfire 162 cm 104 width. They are great in powder but less great in "cement".
I wonder if what makes them so good in powder and stable also contributes to the not so ok in chop? I like the Wildfire, but only used in lighter snow.

Kittridge has some of the Icelantic skis this year, may be worth checking out as crud busters

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My challenge is if we get more than a foot of heavy snow....need a ski that can handle that and chopped up crud. Maybe the Sambas are the ski for that. Certainly last season after 4 ft of overnight heavy heavy snow the Santa Anas in both 161 and 153 did not rock. I was thrown all over the place.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BA from Open Snow is calling for 1-2 feet of snow in the Sierras at the end of the week. Think we're going up on Sunday for a week........ Want to ski those Camox Birdies !

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Driving up tomorrow morning so will probably encounter some of that cement shortly - Thursday or Friday.

I'll check out the Demo shop even if I decide not to demo on this trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna