• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Mexico Skiing

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, we need to make a trip to ABQ this winter. We have SW money to spend, as we cancelled a trip in October because mom and aunt's new house wasn’t finished in time. Trying to decide - we’ve been to Taos, and I’d love to do a ski week, but if we do that, we don't really get time to visit with family. We've never been to the other ski areas, but they’d be fine for us - bigger than here, and then we could spend more time visiting, too.

When is a good time, typically, to ski Santa Fe, Angel Fire, Sipapu, etc. (do I have the names right?) I’ve never even seen these areas, and haven’t done any research, either, jut kind of idly wondering what we’ll do this winter.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The nearest ski area to ABQ is Sandia Peak and you can take the tram up from the ABQ side and not deal with driving...BUT, no one knows if they will get enough snow to open.
If you are planning to do day trips from ABQ, Ski Santa Fe will be a good option. Decent size and something for every level. Pajarito and Sipapu are smaller ski areas and I think it is a bit far for a day trip, yet not worth staying overnight for. As for Angel Fire, it is more family friendly than Taos but smaller. And you’d need to make it a multi-day trip too. You can do 3-day lesson package at Taos instead of a full ski week, or only attend 3-4 days out of a 6-day ski week - you will still get lots out of it!
As for timing, I think prime time is Jan-Feb (but avoid holiday weekends) and avoid 2nd/3rd week of March as it is Spring break and the whole TX/AZ/OK will be in Taos. I start skiing Taos on Thanksgiving every year and it is usually too early for enough snow to open the whole mountain...

Jenny

Angel Diva
We usually drive 2-2.5 hours for day trips here, so that's not really a problem. Looks like maybe we could drive to Santa Fe and base ourselves there for a night or two in order to make the drive to one of the others a little shorter. Hmmmm. Gotta think. Advantage of Taos is the IKON. Maybe we just need to take a couple of extra days vacation.

Probably wouldn't be that first week of February, though, @santacruz skier. We have work things with due dates that make it a little difficult then.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see that you are from Michigan - I used to live in Royal Oak!
If you don’t mind driving, then staying in SF will give you access to the other ski areas. Sipapu always have ski&stay deals. Taos is my home mountain so I rarely ski other areas unless I have free tickets or have visitors who wants to ski something that’s friendlier.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When is a good time, typically, to ski Santa Fe, Angel Fire, Sipapu, etc.
Santa Fe is quite fun. Worth spending a few hours in the town as well. Great views from the slopes. A good variety of terrain. Jason and I skied there for a morning on the way to Taos in 2017. Groomers can get a little slick and there is always the possibility of a bit of a thaw/freeze cycle even in Feb. But with 600 acres, it still beats any hill in the midwest or mid-Atlantic.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...ons-of-taos-early-feb-2017.21565/#post-339594

Pajarito is totally old school. Bunch of trails off a long ridge. Looks like fun and not likely to have long lines on a weekend. Was locally run and supported for quite a while before being bought by the owner of Purgatory and AZ Snowbowl. Check when it's open because it may not be running 7 days a week.

Definitely want to have AWD/4WD for the Santa Fe access road or going up past Los Alamos to Pajarito.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The nearest ski area to ABQ is Sandia Peak and you can take the tram up from the ABQ side and not deal with driving
The Sandia Tram is certainly a fun ride. What Bill says about the skiing is that it's okay for a little hill but the lift rides are very, very long. I'd be more interested in Pajarito or Sipapu for a small mountain.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, I’ve done it! Booked flights and lodging for Taos the week of Valentine's Day.

Now to decide whether to do a shortened ski week (starting Monday) or maybe just a four pack of lessons. DH will just have to amuse himself in the mornings, unless anyone else happens to be around and wants to play.

We'll head back to ABQ after skiing Friday, so he can head back home on Saturday. I’ll stay an extra couple of days so I can visit with my mom and aunt.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well, I’ve done it! Booked flights and lodging for Taos the week of Valentine's Day.

Now to decide whether to do a shortened ski week (starting Monday) or maybe just a four pack of lessons. DH will just have to amuse himself in the mornings, unless anyone else happens to be around and wants to play.

We'll head back to ABQ after skiing Friday, so he can head back home on Saturday. I’ll stay an extra couple of days so I can visit with my mom and aunt.
You'll just miss some of us that are skiing the first week of February in Taos!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny I am doing a private ski week that week but I will be around. PM me your contact info so we can at least say hi in person! What area in ABQ does your mom/aunt live in? I am in High Desert.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny I am doing a private ski week that week but I will be around. PM me your contact info so we can at least say hi in person! What area in ABQ does your mom/aunt live in? I am in High Desert.
They are in NE Heights. Mom says aunt and grandparents used to live in High Desert - at least she thinks the Vulcan Vista house was there.

Sending PM with contact info now.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are in NE Heights. Mom says aunt and grandparents used to live in High Desert - at least she thinks the Vulcan Vista house was there.

Sending PM with contact info now.

Yes, Vulcan Vista is in High Desert. NE Heights is nearby. Love this area!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Looks like you had a great trip to Taos. I hope to have the same kind of experience gaining confidence in the trees and steeps and bumps!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm hoping for the same experience this time, too. I feel like I've regressed a bit and I want to get back the feelings that I had back then.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel like I've regressed a bit and I want to get back the feelings that I had back then.

I am all too familiar with regressing.

I was skiing at a level 5, had the injury at Vail and regressed. The next season, I got my nerve and skills back. I remember clearly when I knew I had it together again -- a bluebird day at Breck ... @Jenny's DH was skiing down a blue trail at his normal pace and I was, for me, flying to see if I could maintain the gap.

Then as I was starting to approach level 6, I got injured at Banff and regressed to level 4. I've had two seasons since then and have not recovered in confidence or skills. I saw some real progress last season. This season is about lessons and reclaiming the rest of it.

I hope your lessons at Taos put you all back together again after your ankle mishap. It will be a great feeling!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I am all too familiar with regressing.

I was skiing at a level 5, had the injury at Vail and regressed. The next season, I got my nerve and skills back. I remember clearly when I knew I had it together again -- a bluebird day at Breck ... @Jenny's DH was skiing down a blue trail at his normal pace and I was, for me, flying to see if I could maintain the gap.

Then as I was starting to approach level 6, I got injured at Banff and regressed to level 4. I've had two seasons since then and have not recovered in confidence or skills. I saw some real progress last season. This season is about lessons and reclaiming the rest of it.

I hope your lessons at Taos put you all back together again after your ankle mishap. It will be a great feeling!
Thanks, me too. But it wasn’t just the ankle injury - I was feeling it before that. And I haven’t figured out anything I can point to as a cause.

Honestly, I was surprised at how happy and confident the person who wrote the TR was. I gotta find her on the slopes again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna