• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Mexico Ski Resort issued Mandatory Evacuation Order?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I've been there, back in the 90s. On the way back to Albuquerque airport from Taos, we stopped there for a 1/2 day.

RJ*

Angel Diva
I think at this point I’m scared for all of the resorts in northern NM because this fire seems unmanageable, with crazy winds, no moisture on the horizon (apart from the little bit we got yesterday) and some difficult terrain for firefighters to work with.

Sipapu is a small and affordable ski area not too far from Taos. It serves local communities south of Taos- lof teenagers and kids around. I really hope it doesn’t burn. This is so heartbreaking, I’ve been unable to think of much else these days.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still can't get my head around the part where this is once again a fire started as a "controlled burn" during a known windy season. Was nothing learned from the Cerro Grande fire (also early May, back in 2000), nothing at all? Surely there must be a better way/ time of year to prevent natural wild fires. Luckily the Cerro Palado fire near Los Alamos (unknown cause) is now mostly contained. They had been moved to the "set" stage in their evacuation alert system. (Ready is make a plan and be prepared, set is on high alert, go is evacuate.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bill and @RJ* live in Albuquerque. So not in the danger zone. However, Bill's cousin Peter lives in Santa Fe. Apparently the fire is within 30 miles there. (Peter also attended North Country School around the same time as my classmate Nick and I did. He's been working at Taos for decades.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
A little more info about the fires that have joined together. The second includes a map of showing where the two fires started: Hermit's Peak and Calf Canyon.

May 17, 2022

April 23, 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the latest info, check out the NM Fire Info website or Twitter feed. Closures for the national forests and other parts are happening. Besides the two big fires, there are other active fires in NM. Not good.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Found basic info and a map to help put the Hermit Peak and Calf Canyon fires in context. The controlled burn at Hermit Peak was done over a month ago. The Calf Canyon fire started a couple weeks later. The two fires had come together by April 22. The other two wildfires that are to the east and west on the map below were mostly contained as of May 17. You can see Taos and Santa Fe on the fire map.

For more info, look here.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.56.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.58.32 PM.jpg

Last edited:

RJ*

Angel Diva
A little more info about the fires that have joined together. The second includes a map of showing where the two fires started: Hermit's Peak and Calf Canyon.

May 17, 2022

April 23, 2022
Seems like we moved from 26% to 34% containment today, with the fire growing at a slower pace to about 302,000 acres. Let's hope the winds don't go too crazy the next few days, since there seems to be no moisture coming anytime soon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Seems like we moved from 26% to 34% containment today, with the fire growing at a slower pace to about 302,000 acres. Let's hope the winds don't go too crazy the next few days, since there seems to be no moisture coming anytime soon.
Somewhere I read that there hasn't been measurable rainfall for almost 50 days in at least one of the fire areas. Yikes!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The SAM article about the NM fire threatening ski resorts noted there is a fund that is designed to help people being displaced by wildfire evacuation orders. Sipapu and Angle Fire are already directly impacted. Taos Ski Valley is watching the situation closely.

May 18, 2022

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I just read La Niña is staying around again this season. Everyone hold on, it’s gonna be another tough year for fires/ drought in the west and hurricanes in the east :(

Jilly

Staff member
They did tell us to be prepared for lots of rain, in the afternoons....Heat and humidity, love it NOT!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna