• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: New England Divas: What Ski Pass?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let's say, hypothetically, a person were to have accepted a job right about where the red pin is on this map. What pass should that person purchase so as to maximize good skiing? It's sort of equi-ish-distant from a LOT of options, but how to choose? Are there any multi-resort options? (Sure, the New England Pass, but I ain't driving to Maine, so that's just a Loon pass).

Thank you for any guidance!

Pike.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Let's say, hypothetically, a person were to have accepted a job right about where the red pin is on this map. What pass should that person purchase so as to maximize good skiing? It's sort of equi-ish-distant from a LOT of options, but how to choose? Are there any multi-resort options? (Sure, the New England Pass, but I ain't driving to Maine, so that's just a Loon pass).

Thank you for any guidance!

View attachment 10494

Will you be living there? Sunday River is only approx 2 hrs from Loon, and well worth it imho! Lol I drive 4 hours each way to get there from MA. You could come visit and ski with me!

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Epic pass (in various iterations) would get you Okemo, Stowe, and Sunapee. I also like Sugarbush and Sunday River, and Killington, any of which could keep you happy for a season.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I've become lazy living up here, but driving more than an hour to ski is a deal-breaker!

I'm wondering about Cannon? Loon is the closest big resort; I've never been there; any thoughts?

Also maybe the Freedom Pass? I could get a very cheap (under $400) season pass at Magic that would let me ski three times at some other places such as Bolton Valley, Dartmouth, Black, etc., all within a reasonable drive. Not big-mountain skiing, but I don't necessarily care about that; old-school, local, and small is fine with me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Loon gets boring to me, it is very very groomed/manicured and you essentially want to avoid most of the middle of the mountain throughout the day when it’s busy on weekends. I say that based on knowing your interest of getting into ungroomed terrain more, I don’t much view Loon as having that much opportunity to do so until some trees open. However, I skied there a lot years and years ago and it’s fine, they do have great snowmaking and grooming when you do want it. My preference for Sunday River in that family of resorts is due to the variety of terrain available there as well as awesome snoemaking/grooming, and way less crowds. Cannon is more of a locals mountain, with more variable terrain, and less crowds that Loon I think. I don’t know it very well but there are other divas who ski there regularly @canski. Attitash and Wildcat are on the same pass, not sure how far that is away exactly.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I would look at the Freedom Pass, the Peak Pass and the White Mountain Super Pass. Some combination of those might work, based on your new (? Are you moving?) location.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Cannon would be a good choice. A fun mountain, though people complain it gets cold and windy. Then again, what doesn't in New England?

If you could take an hour's drive, you could get a pass to Burke, which is one of my absolute favorite Eastern mountains. Good terrain, interesting trails, fun glades, and a nice, laid back vibe. Hey, if it's good enough for Mikaela Shiffrin.....

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, all! I didn't know about the White Mountain Super Pass. Very cool! Thanks @MissySki for the Loon description; it doesn't sound like my kind of place.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks, all! I didn't know about the White Mountain Super Pass. Very cool! Thanks @MissySki for the Loon description; it doesn't sound like my kind of place.

I agree, though certainly worth a day sometime to check it out for yourself. I usually always go the first Friday in December for the Ken Jones Demo Day. I’ll definitely bring it up before then in case anyone is interested in joining!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will you be a NH resident? Special rates at Cannon if so. Also, buy now for next year & use it this year. Check out the Cannon website for details. Yes, can be cold, windy, and icy....not gonna lie...

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will you be a NH resident? Special rates at Cannon if so. Also, buy now for next year & use it this year. Check out the Cannon website for details. Yes, can be cold, windy, and icy....not gonna lie...

That’s a good question. I think I’ll be a VT resident, which since I’m a teacher wualifies me for a pass at Magic for just over $300.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm wondering about Cannon? Loon is the closest big resort; I've never been there; any thoughts?

Personally, I like Loon. I'm not sure it's the nostalgia of the place since I skied there a lot as a kid, and also spent a lot of time in college going there too, or if it's really as good of a mountain as I make it out to be. I like the vibe there (weekdays), and I like the layout of the mountain. It's true there aren't a ton of glades, but the ones they do have, I really enjoy...and there's a decent amount of stuff off the trail map. I love their big bump runs (especially in the spring time), and their long, narrow, "classic" New England style groomers. Buuuut....it's also true how crowded it gets on weekends. If you can only ski weekends, I'd count it out.

You have a lot of good options...as everyone has already mentioned...I'd list them, but I would just be listing everything that all the posts above me have already said. If it were me, I'd probably lean towards Cannon for the closeness, then tack on an IKON pass to be able to explore some of the other places in the area.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Agree, it’s wretched excess in a way; Fun to think about all the options.

I’m on the chair at Magic right now, btw. It’s charming but slow!

View attachment 10495

How’s the snow? Wish it was tomorrow so you could report how the temps affect things (except the rain of course because that’s not always fun). I’m still thinking of heading there Saturday.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Personally, I like Loon. I'm not sure it's the nostalgia of the place since I skied there a lot as a kid, and also spent a lot of time in college going there too, or if it's really as good of a mountain as I make it out to be. I like the vibe there (weekdays), and I like the layout of the mountain. It's true there aren't a ton of glades, but the ones they do have, I really enjoy...and there's a decent amount of stuff off the trail map. I love their big bump runs (especially in the spring time), and their long, narrow, "classic" New England style groomers. Buuuut....it's also true how crowded it gets on weekends. If you can only ski weekends, I'd count it out.

You have a lot of good options...as everyone has already mentioned...I'd list them, but I would just be listing everything that all the posts above me have already said. If it were me, I'd probably lean towards Cannon for the closeness, then tack on an IKON pass to be able to explore some of the other places in the area.

I’ll need to follow you around there sometime, I don’t know of these unmarked areas! I have always felt hardpressed to find much in the way of bumps, but perhaps it’s been the year or time of year when I head there. I do really love Angel Street when it’s in good shape, prob my faveorite trail on the mountain when it’s not scary icy. Nowadays it’s usually early December as mentioned that I head there, so obviously nothing much then except groomers most years. There are some fun trees when they are open. I always just feel stuck at either North or South Peaks which bugs me, but again a function of trying to avoid crowds on weekends..

elemmac

Angel Diva
I always just feel stuck at either North or South Peaks which bugs me, but again a function of trying to avoid crowds on weekends..

On crowded days, that's exactly where you need to be to avoid crowds there....but I think North Peak has some of the best terrain on the mountain, so I don't normally mind shorter runs and less crowds than going all the way down to the Gondola. It's definitely a good size mountain that skis very small. A decent amount of vertical, but not much width to it. So I can definitely see the stand point of getting bored there...especially in comparison to size of Sunday River. Plus the Common Man right down the road (huge bonus).

MissySki

Angel Diva
On crowded days, that's exactly where you need to be to avoid crowds there....but I think North Peak has some of the best terrain on the mountain, so I don't normally mind shorter runs and less crowds than going all the way down to the Gondola. It's definitely a good size mountain that skis very small. A decent amount of vertical, but not much width to it. So I can definitely see the stand point of getting bored there...especially in comparison to size of Sunday River. Plus the Common Man right down the road (huge bonus).

Love Common Man!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly