• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New boot experience… Neurotic edition

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, went to buy my new boots. Minimally intermediate skier, Midwest groomers/glades-ish, waiting on my Renoun Earharts, 5’7”, heavier skier.

Have been skiing in a 20 year old packed out 25.5 boot w/substantial medial malleolus banging and therefore pain/lump.

Being slightly (not really slightly) neurotic, I had read every boot thread on here, watched a gazillion bootorials, etc.

Went in and talked to one of our shop’s most reliable and experienced bootfitters. He measured my foot, and said I was a 26/26.5 on the scale. I was hesitant and showed him my 25.5s. (was mildly concerned)

He said, ok, let’s shell fit you in a 25.5. (Felt better)

Brought out a 25.5 k2. pulled out the liner, looked at my foot, said, “you sure are a 25.5!”
Tried on the k2s. Liked them, one hotspot, one foot, otherwise fit was snug like a hug.
Swapped one k2 for a technica… ok - loved the fancy liner - but not a grip walk sole by default, and a little bit of pinch all down the outside of the left foot.
Swapped K2 for nordica … nope... He said they overstuff the liners because they pack so quickly, but it was just not the same comfort in the ball of foot area, which is my problem.

Walked around in both technicas to confirm discomfort
Walked around in both K2s again to confirm love
Walked around in one k2 with my hot pink superfeet insole. Again. Confirmed.

Bought boots.

Now, me: Was that too easy? LOL.
He told me to sit around with them on to find any more hotspots before the season starts, they’ll fix those, and then they’ll adjust as the liner packs down a bit and I ski. But. I was DELIGHTED with the process and grateful that he was the fitter. Now… ask me if I know his name so that I can put it in the bootfitter thread.
:noidea:

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, went to buy my new boots. Minimally intermediate skier, Midwest groomers/glades-ish, waiting on my Renoun Earharts, 5’7”, heavier skier.

Have been skiing in a 20 year old packed out 25.5 boot w/substantial medial malleolus banging and therefore pain/lump.

Being slightly (not really slightly) neurotic, I had read every boot thread on here, watched a gazillion bootorials, etc.

Went in and talked to one of our shop’s most reliable and experienced bootfitters. He measured my foot, and said I was a 26/26.5 on the scale. I was hesitant and showed him my 25.5s. (was mildly concerned)

He said, ok, let’s shell fit you in a 25.5. (Felt better)

Brought out a 25.5 k2. pulled out the liner, looked at my foot, said, “you sure are a 25.5!”
Tried on the k2s. Liked them, one hotspot, one foot, otherwise fit was snug like a hug.
Swapped one k2 for a technica… ok - loved the fancy liner - but not a grip walk sole by default, and a little bit of pinch all down the outside of the left foot.
Swapped K2 for nordica … nope... He said they overstuff the liners because they pack so quickly, but it was just not the same comfort in the ball of foot area, which is my problem.

Walked around in both technicas to confirm discomfort
Walked around in both K2s again to confirm love
Walked around in one k2 with my hot pink superfeet insole. Again. Confirmed.

Bought boots.

Now, me: Was that too easy? LOL.
He told me to sit around with them on to find any more hotspots before the season starts, they’ll fix those, and then they’ll adjust as the liner packs down a bit and I ski. But. I was DELIGHTED with the process and grateful that he was the fitter. Now… ask me if I know his name so that I can put it in the bootfitter thread.
:noidea:

Yay, this is great! I also love that you were armed and ready to assert the sizing. Awesome job, can’t wait to hear how you like them when you ski. I imagine these are going to be so much more controlled than your old boots!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
That's interesting, right? Because I don't think I would have had the confidence to push back on the 26.5 if not for this group. HUGE. And honestly, they literally squeeze my foot almost EVERYWHERE, but I can wiggle my toes.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Iwannaski - I don't know what is more delightful, your happy boot experience or your talent for writing and humor! Congrats!

I tried on boots today, too, at the shop. So interested to hear my pal Larry talk about what he wants for me in a boot. He took various comments about my skiing that I've made over the month that I've worked there, listened to me discuss my current boots, and explained that he believes my self-described "still learning" edging will be fixed once I am without the slop in my boots. (Beginner Dalbellos.) He watched me walk and described what sort of footbed he wanted me to have. And he gave me three boots to try on, in various price ranges (SO happy I'm looking at 50% off!).

As soon as I donned the Salomon Pro something 100, I realized what a great boot can feel like. It was snug everywhere - tighter than the others - but more comfortable! This boot retails at $725. :scared: I also tried the 80 in the same line (cheaper), and tomorrow I think I'll try the 90.

I knew in my head that a better boot could make a difference in my skiing, but my ol' Dalbellos are familiar. Not comfortable, exactly, but familiar!

So I may be about to have a happy boot experience, too. And all of the niggling little discomforts are supposed to be relieved with a new footbed ($50) and some punching out. I noticed that these had Grip-Walk soles, and I asked if they would fit into my bindings. He said, "You'll be on new skis anyway!"

What a salesman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly