• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New bike!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I got a 2nd bike yesterday, kind of on a whim. :redface: I've been thinking about getting a single speed for a while, just kind of for fun, and for misc errands and commuting and stuff around the city. I feel a little like I'm beating the crap out of my beautiful road bike using it as a commuting bike in NYC, plus it makes me really edgy to lock it up because I'm always paranoid someone's going to grab the wheels or something.

So anyways, on my ride on Sunday I broke a spoke on my road bike and the shop has to special order more, leaving my bike out of commission for at least a week. Seeing as this is kind of a week off between jobs for me and the weather is looking awesome, I figured I'd just get the single speed now so I can ride this week. I have a job now! I can buy things! It is awesome.

Sooooooo I ended up with the 2010 (2010?!?!?) Specalized Langster:
3853490983_f4875cf58d.jpg

What's cool is that all the designs on the frame are just stickers that I can peel off, so I am considering:
- Peeling everything off and covering the bike with ski resort stickers.
- Peeling everything off, getting a pink chain, and putting on pink handlebar tape. :redface:

What's also cool is that it's got a flip-flop rear hub so I can go fixed or free depending on how hip I'm feeling on a given day. ;)

So far: super fun city bike! I love it.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is cool!

SS's make you feel like a kid again......I Swear!!!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fixed hubs = :doh:

Ah...don't mind my anti-fixie bias. The posers around here just drive me CRAZY. Do it if you want, and share the stories later. At least you're in New York, the fixie haven of the world, and not SLC. And pleeez don't start wearing low rider skinny jeans, a cycling cap, and smoking a cigarette while you ride. :D

You'll love having a commuter-focused bike for sure. I bet the SS will be great for NYC - it's so nice to not have to worry about maintaining a drivetrain. And there's so many fun ways to customize, as you're already thinking. Keep us posted!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How did I know that "accidental" test ride wasn't going to turn out to be so accidental after all? :laugh:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice ride! :jealous:

SSing is sweet, but the whole fixie thing freaks me out a little.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed hubs = :doh:

Ah...don't mind my anti-fixie bias. The posers around here just drive me CRAZY. Do it if you want, and share the stories later. At least you're in New York, the fixie haven of the world, and not SLC. And pleeez don't start wearing low rider skinny jeans, a cycling cap, and smoking a cigarette while you ride. :D

Aaaahahaha, don't even get me started. Some people around here are totally ridiculous with their fixed gear bikes; it's too much. How is it a good idea to go 30mph in traffic with pedestrians everywhere and NO BRAKES? And of course no helmet, because then you can't show off your hipster haircut properly, and it would probably also interfere with your super jumbo trendy glasses. And no lights at night! Can't have anything on the frame!

That said, I think I'm gonna take it to the park tomorrow and flip the wheel and see how it feels. :redface:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Actually, you can modulate your speed more on a fixie. Granted, you can't come to a full-on quick stop, but you can slow yourself down quickly by applying back pressure. Remember that track racers (I was one) use fixed gears, riding shoulder-to-shoulder. It's actually safer than riding a bike with brakes when you're in that close proximity.

I've ridden on the road a lot with my fixie, even on long downhills. I've navigated the streets of Philly. That being said, it doesn't hold a candle to riding in NYC traffic!:fear: Riding sans helmet and light is just plain stupid. I can just visualize the image, though.....trendy glasses and all!:laugh:

Now you've got to learn how to do a track stand!:becky:

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:cool:
That said, I think I'm gonna take it to the park tomorrow and flip the wheel and see how it feels. :redface:

Ha ha! I'd totally do the same thing. Just because talk trash on the fixies doesn't mean I'm not curious... :cool:

Vanho - I totally see what you're saying. But the problem is that most of the jokers we're talking about weren't ex-track racers. They're hacks!

altagirl

Staff member
:cool:

Ha ha! I'd totally do the same thing. Just because talk trash on the fixies doesn't mean I'm not curious... :cool:

Vanho - I totally see what you're saying. But the problem is that most of the jokers we're talking about weren't ex-track racers. They're hacks!

Heh, I hear you. I'd try one too just to see what it feels like. But it seems right up there with the "swing bike" that I tried in terms of practicality. That was totally a fun challenge to ride (it has a second headset in front of the seat tube, so the front half of the frame swings around freely and you have to steer the back half of the bike (with your feet and core) independently of the front.) But I mean - for commuting in traffic? Not so much.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The pink chain arrived this week, and I went to the shop this morning to have them put it on:

4019993198_62c37922bf.jpg

:D

Next up: pink handlebar tape, or tires with pink sidewalls? Decisions, decisions. ;)

I've ridden it as a fixie a few times, and I have to say, it is kind of nice to be able to control your speed that way when you're riding in traffic. Still never taking the brakes off of it, though. :smile: I guess I will never be an official hipster.

I am too much of a bicycle ignoramus to understand some of the terms used on this thread, but no brakes in NYC sounds very dangerous. I grew up in NYC and remember when my best friend's boyfriend was killed in a bicycle accident when we were in high school.

Despite my ignorance about bikes, I can still admire that pink chain, it's awesome! I also wonder if the bike would be less appealing to those who typically steal bikes (read: men/teen boys) if it's pinked out or is that a sexist assumpton?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I am too much of a bicycle ignoramus to understand some of the terms used on this thread, but no brakes in NYC sounds very dangerous. I grew up in NYC and remember when my best friend's boyfriend was killed in a bicycle accident when we were in high school.

RachelV's bike has brakes, don't worry. She could, if she wanted, ride without them using the fixed hub and be safer than you'd think, with some practice.

That pink chain is sweet! It's a feminine touch to a bad-ass bike!:thumbsup:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE the Langster! Enjoy your new bike :smile:

I have 2 packages of pink bar tape that I probably will never use. PM me your address and I'll send one off to you.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
a fixie has no freewheel.

You know how on a regualr bike you can coast and the rear wheel spins? Or, you can even pedal backwards? That's the free wheel in action. On a fixed gear bike, the one gear in the back and the hub are united. every movement of the pedal moves the wheel, either frontwards or backwards. there's no coasting, no freewheeling backwards.

a fixie has no freewheel. You know how on a regualr bike you can coast and the rear wheel spins? Or, you can even pedal backwards? That's the free wheel in action. On a fixed gear bike, the one gear in the back and the hub are united. every movement of the pedal moves the wheel, either frontwards or backwards. there's no coasting, no freewheeling backwards.

aha, like AWD. thanks geargrrl! still not sure what the full purpose is for fixed gear bike, or why someone would remove a brake, or what a hipster is, but I feel a little less stupid now. :doh:

abc

Banned
Despite my ignorance about bikes, I can still admire that pink chain, it's awesome! I also wonder if the bike would be less appealing to those who typically steal bikes (read: men/teen boys) if it's pinked out or is that a sexist assumpton?
It's a sexist assumption alright. Though not what you think...

I've seen SO MANY bikes with pink bits on that are riden by guys. I don't think having a pink chain will make it any LESS attractive to thieves!

still not sure what the full purpose is for fixed gear bike, or why someone would remove a brake, or what a hipster is, but I feel a little less stupid now
Not sure about the hipster part. But the purpose of a fixed gear bike has a lot to do with the fact you can't coast!

The theory is it promotes a better spinning style, better yet build spinning specific muscles. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. I can see it being fun though. If I hadn't had 4 bikes jamming in my apartment and getting in my ways, I wouldn't mind having one myself!

As for the brakes, as vanhoskier has mentioned, you don't really NEED the rear (hand) brake any more since you can control the back wheel with your legs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna