• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never ending boot saga continues

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was a conpletely different experience after messing with cuff alignment. I felt like I could tackle anything, and had zero pain. Zero.

Before I messed with the cuff alignment, I realized that I was getting outer calf pain on my right leg because I was trying really hard to get on my edges on that ski and my leg was taking the strain. Once I turned it to the + on the inside and the - on the outside to an equal amount, it changed everything in a good way. I know that is not the ideal way to do that, but hey.... I had an Allen wrench, some pain, and a hypothesis. Lol it worked.
Nothing wrong at all with easy little tweaks like that just to see how it affects things. If it doesn't work, you move them back. Bonus is it DID work. :thumbsup:

Do the boots still feel too stiff? It sounds like not.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was a conpletely different experience after messing with cuff alignment. I felt like I could tackle anything, and had zero pain. Zero.

Before I messed with the cuff alignment, I realized that I was getting outer calf pain on my right leg because I was trying really hard to get on my edges on that ski and my leg was taking the strain. Once I turned it to the + on the inside and the - on the outside to an equal amount, it changed everything in a good way. I know that is not the ideal way to do that, but hey.... I had an Allen wrench, some pain, and a hypothesis. Lol it worked.

There's a lot to be said for DIY bootfitting and on-snow-trial-and-error. I'm all for it.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing wrong at all with easy little tweaks like that just to see how it affects things. If it doesn't work, you move them back. Bonus is it DID work. :thumbsup:

Do the boots still feel too stiff? It sounds like not.
Not anymore since getting all the other issues taken care of. My edging was fixed by the cuff alignment, so it wasn't the boot stiffness at all.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I plan on calling him when I get home to let him know and possibly planning a day trip to Jack frost (if still open) to bring him cookies and beer lol.

If you find yourself at Jack(son) Frost in the next weekend or two, let us know. Maybe we can all take some runs together. We're more often at Montage, but do go to Jack Frost a few times a season.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welllllllll, last day is ending a bit early. DH had a mishap. And literally broke his snowboard in half on a tree. Didn't make it to the peak. :(

He is okay, thankfully. It could have been way worse.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welllllllll, last day is ending a bit early. DH had a mishap. And literally broke his snowboard in half on a tree. Didn't make it to the peak. :(

He is okay, thankfully. It could have been way worse.

Oh no! Glad he's OK! We had a friend break one of his skis out west a few years ago. Broke it hucking a very small cliff/jump. Landed weird or maybe on something buried in the snow and RIP ski.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, definitely better his board than the tree! That's a bummer, but overall, a good trip it sounds like.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Holy crap! Whatever happened I’m glad that you said it could have been way worse cuz that means he's OK.

MissySki

Angel Diva
You probably have instep room from removing the heel lifts. Still, if you feel more balanced, then keep them out.

Attacks are actually 5mm higher in the heel (I just recently measured all of my bindings and discovered this) whereas the Squire demos, at least the newer ones, are negative ramp, by just a hair. So, I'm guessing the Squires will feel better overall. I actually put Squire demos on my new Santa Ana 88s because of this, if you can believe that. I still have a horrible time stepping into them, but I'm so much more balanced in them, it's worth it to me.

@contesstant do you know if the regular Squires have that same negative ramp angle, or did you go with the demo binding specifically because of this? I got a really great deal on a pair of last year’s Nordica Astral 84 new on evo for $249. With the lack of fresh snow on the east coast right now, something skinnier than my normal has been feeling good, and I had an absolute blast on them at the demo. I’ve enjoyed many demos with Squires on them recently so I think I’m going to go with those rather than my usual Attacks, and curious if the non demo version and demo version are the same when it comes to ramp angle. Of course I can’t find this info from searching myself, so hoping you might know if you went through this exercise previously as well.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant do you know if the regular Squires have that same negative ramp angle, or did you go with the demo binding specifically because of this? I got a really great deal on a pair of last year’s Nordica Astral 84 new on evo for $249. With the lack of fresh snow on the east coast right now, something skinnier than my normal has been feeling good, and I had an absolute blast on them at the demo. I’ve enjoyed many demos with Squires on them recently so I think I’m going to go with those rather than my usual Attacks, and curious if the non demo version and demo version are the same when it comes to ramp angle. Of course I can’t find this info from searching myself, so hoping you might know if you went through this exercise previously as well.
I don't know for sure, but I'd be pretty confident getting the non-demo version and having them feel similar enough. And the Astrals are a hoot! Similar to the Santa Ana (same tip) with a different tail and different internal construction. I could easily own a pair for days when we haven't had much snow.

I believe there is a chart on Pugski that shows the ramp angles, now that I think about it.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I'm very late in reading this thread. I skimmed through most of this and read that you contacted Boot Lab at Windham. I would have recommended you go there and ask about the Dale Boot. My husband has extremely wide short feet. His shoe size is 6.5 to 7 extra extra wide and super high volume. No off the shelf ski boot could ever fit him and he was constant pain whenever we skied. I was getting a new boot fit at Boot Lab when I saw the pamphlet for Dale Boots. They're are totally custom build boots. My husband had his foot measured, traced and photographed at Boot Lab. Several weeks later he had a totally custom boot. No more pain and he actually enjoys skiing now. He's also bow-legged and the boots also help with that. Cost was about $800.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't know for sure, but I'd be pretty confident getting the non-demo version and having them feel similar enough. And the Astrals are a hoot! Similar to the Santa Ana (same tip) with a different tail and different internal construction. I could easily own a pair for days when we haven't had much snow.

I believe there is a chart on Pugski that shows the ramp angles, now that I think about it.

I got the regular Marker Squires on my Astrals, and all is well! Got to try them out yesterday, and they felt the same as when I demoed, yay! Now I want to measure the ramp angles on them versus my Attacks. If the Squires have less, I’m thinking about trying a shim under the toe of one of my skis with Attacks to see what that does. I just feel incredibly well balanced and like I can really get the tips engaged on the Astral to a greater extent than some others. I just don’t know if it’s the skis or the bindings that are doing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly