• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never ending boot saga continues

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Called Dieter over lunch. He said to go to a good fitter here and get it punched or ground about a 1-2mm, or if the fitter can do it, they can inject some acetone. I think we will go do that this evening. I remember somebody saying that Lone Mountain Sports is good, any other recommendations or people I should ask for?

Laura had mentioned a few pages back Scott or Ordean there.

mustski

Angel Diva
Lonestar is a great shop but they are not boot doc dealers (hotronics yes - foam liners no) so will not know how to work on the liners. Do not let them do anything other than to the shells. If you want work on the liners as well go to Andrew at Grizzly Outfitters. My friend just moved away from Big Sky a year ago and went to him for years.
https://www.boot-doc.com/en_us/dealers-11.html

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet late to reply, been vacationing hard haha!

I was having a heck of a time. Getting forward enough on the kenjas to pressure the tips. I kept trying to push my weight forward to see if I could get the pressure I wanted so that I wasn't kicking my edges side to side like I was in my old boots. I got to a point where I was just leaning full into the tongues and bending my knees trying to make it happen. Then I would go backseat reflexively. Removing the heel lifts helped, but removing the spoilers seemed to make it more difficult. I haven't skied the kenjas since putting the spoilers back in, so maybe that will help... Or maybe they are just too long for me in my new boot setup.

I was under the impression that you want to have a little movement in your boots when you get forward so that it will absorb bumps and whatnot when in uneven terrain. I thought that if I could not physically flex the cuff forward a bit, it meant that it was too stiff.

After today, I feel like the bigger issue was the pain making me hesitant. I caught myself chickening out on my bump lines because I knew if I hit it wrong it would jar my feet and hurt like hell. But as long as I stayed co fide the and true to the line I picked, it wasn't an issue. I also got a full tune on my Santa Ana's last night and they skied like a dream today, took very little effort to pressure the tips and do whatever turn shapes I wanted.

Btw I'm the queen of getting stuck in my own head. I always wonder if I am forward enough, even if I am on the sweet spot and turning well. Then I try to go more forward, or stand up more.... Then I realize I was fine to begin with and I need to knock it off and just ski.

I put a pic in below of me going through some bumps yesterday. That was on Pomp, a seriously fun blue glade! IMG_3246.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a pretty darn good stance!
The binding ramp angle could also be helping you on the Santa Anas. And that IS a long Kenja for you. I skied them in that length, and have the Secret in that length, and I've got 4 inches on you, and I could probably ski them shorter, as they are a very stiff ski!

Regardless, you made HUGE changes to your boots and setup. So, it takes time to adapt, but it sounds like it's been a good move, and with a few tweaks, it will be a GREAT move.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a pretty darn good stance!
The binding ramp angle could also be helping you on the Santa Anas. And that IS a long Kenja for you. I skied them in that length, and have the Secret in that length, and I've got 4 inches on you, and I could probably ski them shorter, as they are a very stiff ski!

Regardless, you made HUGE changes to your boots and setup. So, it takes time to adapt, but it sounds like it's been a good move, and with a few tweaks, it will be a GREAT move.
Thanks for that compliment! High praise considering your stance in your pic in your avatar! I aspire to look that good in turns.

I got the kenjas for my easy coast ice skates, and I find that in the 163 they are friggin great on ice... But not so good out here or in soft snow. I took them down the Hobacks in JH, and they were solid, but they were work! Maybe without the pain I can ski them better, but meh... Im just gonna enjoy what will hopefully be my first low-to-no pain day tomorrow!!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are too kind. I think the photographer just caught me at a good moment LOL! Ironically, that was taken while I was skiing my 2016 Kenjas.

Definitely ski the skis that are making you happy while you're on your trip. You can fiddle with your new setup and your quiver when you get home.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It took me awhile to learn to trust my boots after I got the boot doc liners. Years of sloppy boots gets into our heads for sure. I am so glad that they are working out for you! :beer:
DEFINITELY gets into your head. Heck, I'm now learning how to ski with the BD tongues in, which has changed things a lot for me.

mustski

Angel Diva
DEFINITELY gets into your head. Heck, I'm now learning how to ski with the BD tongues in, which has changed things a lot for me.
I'm dying in powder ... or at least the heavy, wet stuff that passes for powder in this neck of the woods. I am so used to foot slop that I keep stiffening up and expecting to fail! I cannot convince my head that my feet know what they are doing!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm dying in powder ... or at least the heavy, wet stuff that passes for powder in this neck of the woods. I am so used to foot slop that I keep stiffening up and expecting to fail! I cannot convince my head that my feet know what they are doing!

I've been in my Chakras now for 4 years and when I get nervous I still find myself trying to scrunch up my toes like I used to when I had room to do so and a lot of boot slop. Even though it's completely unnecessary now. lol

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 4: taking a rest day. I really wanted to get out and try my new pain-free boots today, but DH is hurting, and I have a sore neck from a fall yesterday on Highway. I slid face first over a few moguls and had to "tuck and roll" my skis overhead to get them below me and pop back up. Didn't hurt at all at the time, but this morning it's a bit stiff.

Hopefully we will be fully recovered and ready to hit it hard tomorrow. :smile:

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 5: no pain whatsoever!!!! Had some issues with edging and pain down the side of my right calf, but messed with the cuff alignment and viola, pain is gone, bumps are way easier and we are seeking out steeper, bumper terrain and I am loving it! That punch made a world of difference, and then the cuff alignment adjustment fine tuned things. I feel like I leveled up for the first time in 2 years and I can actually do what I know I am supposed to do.

I still have a little room right above where my shin meets my foot (with two felt pads) but it isn't really an issue because i am skiing with my feet like I am supposed to instead of slamming my boot tongues and kicking my feet side to side. We went down some double blacks this afternoon that were pretty friggin steep and it felt like a cakewalk compared to what I used to have to do to ski them well.

So stoked!!!! Can't wait to hit lone peak tomorrow!!!!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was a conpletely different experience after messing with cuff alignment. I felt like I could tackle anything, and had zero pain. Zero.

Before I messed with the cuff alignment, I realized that I was getting outer calf pain on my right leg because I was trying really hard to get on my edges on that ski and my leg was taking the strain. Once I turned it to the + on the inside and the - on the outside to an equal amount, it changed everything in a good way. I know that is not the ideal way to do that, but hey.... I had an Allen wrench, some pain, and a hypothesis. Lol it worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly