• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nela 88: Thoughts on Sizing?

mustski

Angel Diva
152 sounds very short to me ... I am 5'2" and my shortest ski is 158. Shop guys always want to sell women skis shorter than what is ideal. That said, if you enjoyed the 152s better ... shorter will be better in bumps and trees. In soft snow, you will find them too short. What length are your other skis?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My other skis are 159 and 163. My Black Pearls were 158 or 159, they were (are) 88mm, that's why I felt pretty confident going with the 160 Stocklis and now my indecision.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Nela's have very little rocker. No tail rocker, just a very slightly turned up tail. So they ski longer than most all-mountain skis. The contact points on the Nela's are significantly longer than those on my 165 Santa Anas or even my new 167 Rossi Experience 82s. I do wish their size runs were closer together, as I'd still like them a titch longer than 160.

mustski

Angel Diva
The Nela's have very little rocker. No tail rocker, just a very slightly turned up tail. So they ski longer than most all-mountain skis.
The Nela 88s are a rocker camber rocker profile so I don’t see why they would ski that much shorter. Perhaps in bumps and trees, shorter is preferable but in an actual all mountain ski? Hmmm. I would be inclined to say that when someone generally likes a ski in the 158-163 range and doesn’t enjoy that in a a specific ski … it’s probably just not her flavor. @VickiK if you sell them, you should probably demo and try to find something you love.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not too familiar with the Nela but does Stockli have a range of acceptable mount points? If so, moving it forward would make the ski feel shorter, more maneuverable, and more tolerant of a neutral stance.

I recently moved the mount point on my Faction Dictators forward and I am in love, like I loved them before but I did feel that they wanted me to be more forward on my skis than I preferred. Now they're *chef's kiss*

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Nela 88s are a rocker camber rocker profile so I don’t see why they would ski that much shorter. Perhaps in bumps and trees, shorter is preferable but in an actual all mountain ski? Hmmm. I would be inclined to say that when someone generally likes a ski in the 158-163 range and doesn’t enjoy that in a a specific ski … it’s probably just not her flavor. @VickiK if you sell them, you should probably demo and try to find something you love.
The Nela's ski longer, not shorter. I can take pics if you'd like as they are hanging in my garage. I'm telling you, the rocker is only in the front and is minimal. If the turned up tail is considered "rocker" then it's about 1cm's worth. I've seen the description on various sites as both, but the tails are not rockered. I have stood them up next to all my other skis for comparison and the contact points are far longer even though they are the shortest skis I own. When I squeeze the camber together on them, the tails do not have any rise past the slight upturn. My Rossi's have a lot of tail rise AND some rocker with it. They are a very precise ski and respond very positively to precise input, and I think the small amount of rocker is why.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Thanks for the advice, ladies! If/when I post my 160s for sale, it's not an absolute that I'd get the 152's as a replacement. I'd take more time to decide, and demo.
I would do the same. It's a complete cliché, but we really are all so different in terms of our subjective experience of things, not to mention our physical size, condition, experience and simply our preferences. I'm certain that the only way I found the skis I currently love (Stöckli SCs) is that I demoed. What's funny is that I nearly bought a different pair of Stöcklis without demoing — after not liking the first pair of skis I bought without demoing two years ago, after a 25-year skiing hiatus. Hope you find something you love soon!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice, ladies! If/when I post my 160s for sale, it's not an absolute that I'd get the 152's as a replacement. I'd take more time to decide, and demo.
Makes total sense as they are quite an investment. I don’t foresee any more of them in my future; I can’t justify the cost especially since they’ve gotten even more expensive.

The 2024 Salomon Stance line is really good and worth demoing if you can. Did you ever ski the Santa Ana 88?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna