• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nela 88: Thoughts on Sizing?

MaryVA

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all!

I need to replace my trusty old BP 88s (2014 I think) as the camber is shot, and I have my eye set on the Stockli Nela 88s. I was going to put this purchase off until next season as I’ve just been skiing in Virginia with my small kids, but now my husband and I are planning an impromptu Utah trip so I need skis this year after all. I sadly won’t be able to demo.

About me: I’m 5’5, 135#, 37yo and a pretty aggressive advanced to expert skier. I mostly ski east coast groomers but who I like to ski bumps, steeps and trees when I head west. Since I don’t see myself buying two pairs of skis, I need something that hold a strong edge when I charge groomers but that I can maneuver thru bumps abs chop and trees. My black pearls are 166 and I’ve loved them at that length, but I feel like the black pearls ski sort of short (does anyone else find this?).

So now I’m caught between choosing the 160 and the 168. I feel like the 160 will be my friend in the bumps but might not give me the stability at speed that I need on groomers. And while I’m sure I’d love the 168 when making big carves on the groomers, I’m not sure I’d love it elsewhere. Anyone who’s skid the Nelas or similar skis have any advice? Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Where do you ski in Virginia? My home mountain is Massanutten.

Here's a data point from the perspective of an older petite skier. I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, became a solid advanced skier in recent years after age 55. In 2012 I bought the 2011 Black Pearls, 88 underfoot, 159cm. I'd demo'd them the season before and a Diva had a deal. Still have them as rock skis, but I know what you mean about the camber being shot. My current all-mountain skis that I take out west are Stöckli Stormrider 85 skis that preceded the Nela 88. Those are also 159cm. I've skied them in up to a foot of fresh fluffy powder in the Rockies, as well as on long groomers at Snowbird and Taos. They are good fun for me on bumps at Taos and trees in general.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I have the Nela 88s, not sure about advice though. 5’3” 115 lbs. Not as advanced as @marzNC. I have the 152s and bought them without demoing. Took them to Taos last year and really fell in love with them on that trip. Was up at Okemo two weeks ago and noticed the tip movement on some of the crusty groomers. Still felt stable, but it was the first time I wondered if the longer length would help. Was at my home mountain at whitetail with uneven snow and moguls and longer never crossed my mind.

MaryVA

Certified Ski Diva

Here's a data point from the perspective of an older petite skier. I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, became a solid advanced skier in recent years after age 55. In 2012 I bought the 2011 Black Pearls, 88 underfoot, 159cm. I'd demo'd them the season before and a Diva had a deal. Still have them as rock skis, but I know what you mean about the camber being shot. My current all-mountain skis that I take out west are Stöckli Stormrider 85 skis that preceded the Nela 88. Those are also 159cm. I've skied them in up to a foot of fresh fluffy powder in the Rockies, as well as on long groomers at Snowbird and Taos. They are good fun for me on bumps at Taos and trees in general.
Live in NoVA and home mountain is Bryce. Not far from you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have the Nela 88s, not sure about advice though. 5’3” 115 lbs. Not as advanced as @marzNC. I have the 152s and bought them without demoing. Took them to Taos last year and really fell in love with them on that trip. Was up at Okemo two weeks ago and noticed the tip movement on some of the crusty groomers. Still felt stable, but it was the first time I wondered if the longer length would help. Was at my home mountain at whitetail with uneven snow and moguls and longer never crossed my mind.
Makes sense that the 152 felt good at Whitetail. The skis I used at Massanutten are 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis. Even at higher speeds on the short slopes in VA/WV/PA, don't need a longer length to feel stable. Plus I'm not really interested in going fast on short slopes. Would rather make more turns to make the run more interesting before another lift ride on a relatively slow lift.

In general, the instructors at Taos prefer people use slightly shorter skis. When I had demo skis during the Women's Ski Week, the instructor wasn't happy when I took out K2 Alluvit @152 early in the week. She was much happier when I showed up with the BP88 @145. I didn't even know the BP88 came that short. I'd asked for the 152cm but it was already out with someone else. I ended up using them for two days, mostly on groomers because it was a low snow season and no black terrain was open. They were fine at speed.

When I have a chance to be at a free demo day, I usually try to take out at least one model at two different lengths. Just to see what difference I can feel.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Live in NoVA and home mountain is Bryce. Not far from you!
Yep, only an hour away. I drive 4 hours from my house near Raleigh, NC to ski at Massanutten partially because I'm a timeshare owner there. Quite spoiled since I was already retired when my daughter was in elementary school. So we went for the holiday weekends, plus a few other times each season when she was a tween.

I checked out Bryce using the Indy Pass. That new building is so nice with all the glass. Food at the restaurant is really good too.

MaryVA

Certified Ski Diva

Here's a data point from the perspective of an older petite skier. I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, became a solid advanced skier in recent years after age 55. In 2012 I bought the 2011 Black Pearls, 88 underfoot, 159cm. I'd demo'd them the season before and a Diva had a deal. Still have them as rock skis, but I know what you mean about the camber being shot. My current all-mountain skis that I take out west are Stöckli Stormrider 85 skis that preceded the 88. Those are also 159cm. I've skied them in up to a foot of fresh fluffy powder in the Rockies, as well as on long groomers
Makes sense that the 152 felt good at Whitetail. The skis I used at Massanutten are 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis. Even at higher speeds on the short slopes in VA/WV/PA, don't need a longer length to feel stable. Plus I'm not really interested in going fast on short slopes. Would rather make more turns to make the run more interesting before another lift ride on a relatively slow lift.

In general, the instructors at Taos prefer people use slightly shorter skis. When I had demo skis during the Women's Ski Week, the instructor wasn't happy when I took out K2 Alluvit @152 early in the week. She was much happier when I showed up with the BP88 @145. I didn't even know the BP88 came that short. I'd asked for the 152cm but it was already out with someone else. I ended up using them for two days, mostly on groomers because it was a low snow season and no black terrain was open. They were fine at speed.

When I have a chance to be at a free demo day, I usually try to take out at least one model at two different lengths. Just to see what difference I can feel.
Sounds like, given our height differences, the 159 BP and Stockli on you is comparable to the 168 length on me. Do you feel like the 159 BP is about the same length as the 159 stormrider? Or does one ski shorter to you than the other? Do you find yourself wishing they were shorter in bumps?

I don’t mind longer skis at a smaller mountain like Bryce since I’m usually either racing my DH on our solo runs or flying to catch up with my speed demon 5yo, but I’d take shorter skis if I felt I could trust them on fast turns.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paging @contesstant and @MissySki - for info in sizing the Nela.

I only have an opinion on the older 85 stormrider I'm similar in size to you and I found myself wanting more length after skiing the 160?, but I'm out west more off piste. I didnt bother demoing the 168....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like, given our height differences, the 159 BP and Stockli on you is comparable to the 168 length on me. Do you feel like the 159 BP is about the same length as the 159 stormrider? Or does one ski shorter to you than the other? Do you find yourself wishing they were shorter in bumps?

I don’t mind longer skis at a smaller mountain like Bryce since I’m usually either racing my DH on our solo runs or flying to catch up with my speed demon 5yo, but I’d take shorter skis if I felt I could trust them on fast turns.
Yep, I think the longer length you are considering is comparable to what has worked for me as I started buying good skis based on demo'ing. Even as an adventurous intermediate with skis 75 underfoot bought in 2010, I had 154cm because I wanted the longer length for trips out west. I wasn't skiing as fast back then. Since I learned to ski long ago on straight skis over my head, mid-150s seemed pretty short. The 1980s straight skis still in my closest are 170cm. :smile:

I don't have any issues with the Stormriders in the bumps at all. Helps that I've been doing Taos Ski Weeks with them for a few seasons since I bought them in 2017. Since what I like best is skiing powder, I much prefer having the longer length when there is fresh snow. I've skied them in knee deep fluffy powder on a day when renting powder skis wasn't worth the effort. Recently had them at Wolf Creek last month in heavier snow that was 4-6 inches. We were skiing glades and I had a good time.

When I was using the old BPs, I wasn't really good enough to ski bumps or trees that much. They probably do ski shorter so did make it easier. I remember what I call an "adventure run" from that period at Snowmass. There was deep snow in steep trees. I was following a friend who is a Level 3 instructor. None of us in that small group had ever been in that area before. I more or less could keep up because the BPs were floaty enough and turned very easily.

Wolf Creek Dec 2021, blue terrain
Wolf Creek 11Dec2021 - 1.jpeg

Grand Targhee 2019, 9 inches fresh snow after the lifts closed the day before after several days of new snow the same week
TR Grand Targhee Feb2019 - 4.jpg

TR Grand Targhee Feb2019 - 3.jpg

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Hi all!

I need to replace my trusty old BP 88s (2014 I think) as the camber is shot, and I have my eye set on the Stockli Nela 88s. I was going to put this purchase off until next season as I’ve just been skiing in Virginia with my small kids, but now my husband and I are planning an impromptu Utah trip so I need skis this year after all. I sadly won’t be able to demo.

About me: I’m 5’5, 135#, 37yo and a pretty aggressive advanced to expert skier. I mostly ski east coast groomers but who I like to ski bumps, steeps and trees when I head west. Since I don’t see myself buying two pairs of skis, I need something that hold a strong edge when I charge groomers but that I can maneuver thru bumps abs chop and trees. My black pearls are 166 and I’ve loved them at that length, but I feel like the black pearls ski sort of short (does anyone else find this?).

So now I’m caught between choosing the 160 and the 168. I feel like the 160 will be my friend in the bumps but might not give me the stability at speed that I need on groomers. And while I’m sure I’d love the 168 when making big carves on the groomers, I’m not sure I’d love it elsewhere. Anyone who’s skid the Nelas or similar skis have any advice? Thanks!
Hell yes, they ski short! And are very unstable at speed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m 5’4 and the 160 Nela 88 was perfection. That Stockli flatter tail is smooth!
Note that the OP said she is "5’5, 135#, 37yo and a pretty aggressive advanced to expert skier. I mostly ski east coast groomers but who I like to ski bumps, steeps and trees when I head west." Although I haven't skied with you at Big Sky yet, your self-description seems to be a bit different.

Will you ski the Nela88 for the Taos Ski Week? Your Taos instructor will like it you have shortish skis.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to know! May I ask what you typically ski them on?
I demo’d them (and many others) on a bluebird day after a overnight dusting in the northern Rockies (Montana). I took each on the same two runs, a long steep blue groomer and one of our black moguls. I didn’t purchase the Nela 88 because they lost in a coin toss against the Stormrider 85.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Note that the OP said she is "5’5, 135#, 37yo and a pretty aggressive advanced to expert skier. I mostly ski east coast groomers but who I like to ski bumps, steeps and trees when I head west." Although I haven't skied with you at Big Sky yet, your self-description seems to be a bit different.

Will you ski the Nela88 for the Taos Ski Week? Your Taos instructor will like it you have shortish skis.
I’m not sure what you’re implying. I offered my opinion about my experience on the Nela 88 length.

I don’t own the Nela 88. I’m taking my Stormrider 85’s.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have the Stockli Stormrider 85 in a 161. I’m a 5’4 125lbs advanced East coast skier who is often in trees and bumps. Most of my other skis are in the mid to high 160s, but I usually go for lighter and more playful skis. I wouldn’t describe myself as an aggressive skier, I tend to be more of a finesse skier. I demoed the 168 in the Stocklis and they were super fun, but the 161 feel better in tighter stuff to me and they are rock solid at speed on groomers. They’re also fabulous on ice and probably the smoothest ski I’ve ever skied.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all!

You’re kind of between sizes based on your stated skill set. I’m on the 160 Nelas, coming off 165 Santa Anas before those a 166 Black Pearl. The Nelas have the same or even longer contact length in a 160 than the Santa Anas do in a 165. I absolutely love mine. They are light yet stable and smooth and super maneuverable. At times when I’m on a wide open groomer I wish for a tad more length, but they’re so easy to make any turn shape and length on that I just don’t care that much. They’re not easy to find—do you have a line on a pair?

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you considered going with the 168 but mounting them progressively? Seems like you'd still get the stability at speed but with improved maneuverability.

MaryVA

Certified Ski Diva
Update: I ended up buying the 160s. The shop had just sold out of the 168, so that made the decision pretty simple for me :smile:. But after seeing how little rocker the skis have and how solid the construction was, the 160s looked like they'd be plenty stable, at least on the groomers. A little worried I'll regret it in next time I'm skiing crud or chop, but fingers crossed! Can't wait to try them out in the next few weeks!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: I ended up buying the 160s. The shop had just sold out of the 168, so that made the decision pretty simple for me :smile:. But after seeing how little rocker the skis have and how solid the construction was, the 160s looked like they'd be plenty stable, at least on the groomers. A little worried I'll regret it in next time I'm skiing crud or chop, but fingers crossed! Can't wait to try them out in the next few weeks!
They are even more stable in crud. :becky:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna