• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need (want?) New Skis

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okaaaay ladies, as we come to the end of our NZ season I have decided that I am longer in love with my BP 88's (2022 version which is the same as the 2021). Dont get me wrong they are a great ski but I have found them quite different to the 2019 model which I previously owned. They seem to run longer and I'm finding them not as playful and agile as the previous model and have really struggled to find the sweet spot. So next season I'm going to be in the market for a replacement. I'm 165cm and weigh between 55 - 57 Kg so a bit of a lightweight. I'm a strong intermediate (advanced on a good day LOL) and ski all of our local mountain (some parts with more style than others depending on conditions!) incl blacks even double blacks on a good day. I prefer to ski off piste as its more fun and my carving skills are okayish. This PERFECT ski will need to be able to handle groomers mainly to get from A to B, crud, windblown, some ice but not if I have anything to do with it and what we call powder over here which can range from actual pow (rarely) to really heavy crusty stuff (more common). I have a really bad alignment issue with my right leg so would prefer something in the 88 - 94 underfoot realm so I can get them on edge reasonably easily. Here's what I'm looking for something thats agile and playful but still has some dampness ( I HATE chatter), basically something that can support me in all the above conditions and give the wow factor that my previous BPs had. I know that we get next years models ahead of the Northern Hemi so there maybe some changes between now and then re any tweaks the manufacturers may make but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the 2023 K2 Mindbenders are pretty impressive so might give them a try. Sorry for long ramble I probably should have used bullet points !!!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I would entertain the Sheeva 9 as a contender. It's essentially a more playful Black Pearl...a little better off-piste and in crud, a little more playful and forgiving, and a little more agile. You sacrifice a little on-piste, hard snow (i.e. ice), groomer performance to get those little extras.

Others to explore off the top of my head would be:
Elan Ripstick 88 or 94
Santa Ana 88 or 93
Rossignol Stargazer

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would entertain the Sheeva 9 as a contender. It's essentially a more playful Black Pearl...a little better off-piste and in crud, a little more playful and forgiving, and a little more agile. You sacrifice a little on-piste, hard snow (i.e. ice), groomer performance to get those little extras.

Others to explore off the top of my head would be:
Elan Ripstick 88 or 94
Santa Ana 88 or 93
Rossignol Stargazer
Thanks @elemmac , yes the Sheeva 9 was in the back of my mind as a possible replacement so I'll definately add it to my list. I dont think we have any Elan stockists close by so probably wont get a chance to try them. I did try the Santa Ana 88's a few seasons ago and wasnt wowed by them and ended up buying the earlier BP's. I hadn't even thought of the Rossi Stargazer so I might investigate that option as well x

elemmac

Angel Diva
I did try the Santa Ana 88's a few seasons ago and wasnt wowed by them and ended up buying the earlier BP's. I hadn't even thought of the Rossi Stargazer so I might investigate that option as well x
The Stargazer was a surprise for me when I skied it last spring. It was a hoot. Just a plan ol' fun. Really easy to turn, super maneuverable in bumps and crud, rewards good form, but doesn't demand it 100% of the time. Definitely worth a look.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My personal thoughts from demoing lots and also skiing in NZ --

Sadly I missed the Rossi demo days this season, the last time they were meant to be having one at Hutt, they didn't show up (suspect they got up the mountain and wisely decided there was no point in setting up haha) and Hutt closed the lifts after two hours anyway due to wind! :( (typical!!!) Can't comment on their offerings but some of them do sound good.

I also own the older 2019/20 Black Pearl 88, though I haven't skied it for most of this season. I personally replaced mine with the 2021 Santa Ana 88, it felt very similar to the older Black Pearl for me except a bit more stable and a lot more energetic and poppy. This made it just so much fun to ski, so I couldn't stop thinking about it and eventually bought a pair when I found a good deal. I have a skinny ski for hardpark groomer mornings so the SA88 is basically my afternoon chop/off piste ski. I never tried the older SA88 (i think they changed it from 2020 to 2021 season?) but if you didn't like that one, you may not like the new one either, I think it's meant to be similar but slightly less stable and maybe more energetic.

I demoed the Atomic Maven 86C and 93C on a really thick chop day at Hutt, with a small amount of wet snow falling, and I don't think they're great skis for the types of conditions you like to ski. They were nice and maneuverable on the soft slush at the base of the mountain that day but felt unstable and uncomfortable on the heavy chop further up. I preferred my SA88 for the heavy chop.

I liked the Mindbender 88Ti and the Kenja 88 - both felt fairly planted and stable but not super demanding. I maybe prefer the Mindbender a bit more but hard to say as I demoed them on different days, at different mountains. They're not as energetic/poppy as other skis i own like the pandora 104 which I was also skiing on that day, or the sa88.

Haven't demoed the Sheeva in ages but most people seem to like it a lot for off piste skiing!!

Fischer Ranger 92Ti (and they have some skis in the 80s but none in my size at the demo setup) is worth looking into too. I wrote "stable but quite easy going and fun" in my notes, whatever that means! I just remember thinking that I'd happily own it.

Also; I've actually chatted very briefly with Ally at Gnomes about next years skis - I can't actually remember which skis are changing and which are staying the same though. I guess we'll all find out at the start of 2022 when the 2023 models are all officially announced. (We spent most of our time discussing what boot I'll get next year, as they're already putting in their orders for next years stock and need to add that boot to the order - which is why he already knows what next year's skis are going to be!)

As you commented we don't seem to get Elan here so they're not even slightly on my radar. For all that I do kinda vaguely hear good things about them.

Better end this wall of text now - have fun looking into new skis!!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Stargazer was a surprise for me when I skied it last spring. It was a hoot. Just a plan ol' fun. Really easy to turn, super maneuverable in bumps and crud, rewards good form, but doesn't demand it 100% of the time. Definitely worth a look.
Thanks !!! I've just messaged my local friendly ski shop to see if they think I'll like it, the reviews all look good and they have it for a great price at the moment ...... watch this space x

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My personal thoughts from demoing lots and also skiing in NZ --

Sadly I missed the Rossi demo days this season, the last time they were meant to be having one at Hutt, they didn't show up (suspect they got up the mountain and wisely decided there was no point in setting up haha) and Hutt closed the lifts after two hours anyway due to wind! :( (typical!!!) Can't comment on their offerings but some of them do sound good.

I also own the older 2019/20 Black Pearl 88, though I haven't skied it for most of this season. I personally replaced mine with the 2021 Santa Ana 88, it felt very similar to the older Black Pearl for me except a bit more stable and a lot more energetic and poppy. This made it just so much fun to ski, so I couldn't stop thinking about it and eventually bought a pair when I found a good deal. I have a skinny ski for hardpark groomer mornings so the SA88 is basically my afternoon chop/off piste ski. I never tried the older SA88 (i think they changed it from 2020 to 2021 season?) but if you didn't like that one, you may not like the new one either, I think it's meant to be similar but slightly less stable and maybe more energetic.

I demoed the Atomic Maven 86C and 93C on a really thick chop day at Hutt, with a small amount of wet snow falling, and I don't think they're great skis for the types of conditions you like to ski. They were nice and maneuverable on the soft slush at the base of the mountain that day but felt unstable and uncomfortable on the heavy chop further up. I preferred my SA88 for the heavy chop.

I liked the Mindbender 88Ti and the Kenja 88 - both felt fairly planted and stable but not super demanding. I maybe prefer the Mindbender a bit more but hard to say as I demoed them on different days, at different mountains. They're not as energetic/poppy as other skis i own like the pandora 104 which I was also skiing on that day, or the sa88.

Haven't demoed the Sheeva in ages but most people seem to like it a lot for off piste skiing!!

Fischer Ranger 92Ti (and they have some skis in the 80s but none in my size at the demo setup) is worth looking into too. I wrote "stable but quite easy going and fun" in my notes, whatever that means! I just remember thinking that I'd happily own it.

Also; I've actually chatted very briefly with Ally at Gnomes about next years skis - I can't actually remember which skis are changing and which are staying the same though. I guess we'll all find out at the start of 2022 when the 2023 models are all officially announced. (We spent most of our time discussing what boot I'll get next year, as they're already putting in their orders for next years stock and need to add that boot to the order - which is why he already knows what next year's skis are going to be!)

As you commented we don't seem to get Elan here so they're not even slightly on my radar. For all that I do kinda vaguely hear good things about them.

Better end this wall of text now - have fun looking into new skis!!
Ally and Leith both tried the new Mindbenders the other day and spoke pretty highly of them which is why they're now on my radar LOL. Now looking into the Rossi's as well and the Sheevas and ........ :laughter:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okaaaay so after speaking with my local ski shop Gnomes, who BTW give THE most incredible service, it looks like I'm going to be going for something from the new 2023 K2 Mindbender series. They felt that while the Rossi's are great they might be only be good in softer snow and that I'd need a skinnier ski for firmer conditions but as I'm a one ski quiver kinda gal I'll probably give the K2's a go followed closely by the Sheeva 9. New boots as well next season so buckle up !!!!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okaaaay so after speaking with my local ski shop Gnomes, who BTW give THE most incredible service, it looks like I'm going to be going for something from the new 2023 K2 Mindbender series. They felt that while the Rossi's are great they might be only be good in softer snow and that I'd need a skinnier ski for firmer conditions but as I'm a one ski quiver kinda gal I'll probably give the K2's a go followed closely by the Sheeva 9. New boots as well next season so buckle up !!!!
Sounds great!! Very exciting for next season :yahoo: do you know what they changed with the 2023 Mindbenders? I'll look forward to demoing those next season I guess, the current ones are pretty good and if the Gnomes crew are keen on the new ones, they must be awesome!

Do you know what new boots you'll get too??

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds great!! Very exciting for next season :yahoo: do you know what they changed with the 2023 Mindbenders? I'll look forward to demoing those next season I guess, the current ones are pretty good and if the Gnomes crew are keen on the new ones, they must be awesome!

Do you know what new boots you'll get too??
Havent a clue re Mindbender or the boots:laughter: Leiths got some boots in mind for me so I'll wait and see x

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Havent a clue re Mindbender or the boots:laughter: Leiths got some boots in mind for me so I'll wait and see x
Haha, lots to look forward to finding out about next year then!!

Also, a random additional plug for Gnomes: Leith also made me custom insoles for my ice skates which immediately improved my comfort and performance, she said she made them of a stiffness somewhere between what you'd want for skiing and walking (because ice skating involves more ankle/foot movement than skiing but less than walking) and they work a treat. They are a talented bunch there! I asked her about it just on the off chance she might give it a go, and she was actually very knowledgeable about what I'd need in an ice skating insole and had no trouble fitting them to my skates :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
I dont think we have any Elan stockists close by so probably wont get a chance to try them.

Sheevas are Blizzard skis, not Elan.

Signed,

Blizzard Fan. :wink:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Okaaaay so after speaking with my local ski shop Gnomes, who BTW give THE most incredible service, it looks like I'm going to be going for something from the new 2023 K2 Mindbender series. They felt that while the Rossi's are great they might be only be good in softer snow and that I'd need a skinnier ski for firmer conditions but as I'm a one ski quiver kinda gal I'll probably give the K2's a go followed closely by the Sheeva 9.
For what it's worth, I would say the Stargazer and the Sheeva 9 are on the same playing field as far as "hard-snow performance", the Mindbender will have a leg up in these conditions (as a disclaimer, I am going off of this year's Mindbender, I don't know if they're changing it for 2023).

MissySki

Angel Diva
For what it's worth, I would say the Stargazer and the Sheeva 9 are on the same playing field as far as "hard-snow performance", the Mindbender will have a leg up in these conditions (as a disclaimer, I am going off of this year's Mindbender, I don't know if they're changing it for 2023).

I'm very intrigued with the Stargazer after your review, definitely would like to try it out this year!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they are from what I've heard x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna