• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need skis for DD: 8 yr old ripper

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Since I'm the gear enabler in my little blended family (that's right, somebody's SO is demo-ing the Volkl Kendos in 2 weeks time...hee hee hee), I'm hoping to get some advice on a good ski for my SO's daughter. I inaugurated a 'gear tradition' for his kids' birthdays. Last year, they each got a pair of skis. This year, DS is getting boots, and DD is getting a new pair of skis (she rapidly outgrew hers). I was wondering if you had any suggestions for an 8 year old advanced skier who is skiing mostly Rockies blacks. She is 4' 7" and was previously skiing on a 120 cm Elan racing ski. But it is way too short and unstable for her now, and she oscillates between "moderately fast skiing" and "watch out! speed demon along the fall line." I'm assuming she will grow a couple of inches between now and November, so I am aiming for a ski around the 140 cm mark. She currently wears 23.5 boots and weighs about 85 lbs, all muscle. Should I aim for an adult ski? Or a junior ski for one more year? She mostly skis on piste, not a big fan of trees, but likes groomers as well as powdery runs. So I'm thinking a good all-mountain ski? I bought their skis last year during the summer and got some amazing deals, so I am hoping to do that again. What should I keep an eye out for?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Also, one of the things I've been thinking about is the Volkl Step Jr. in 138 - if anyone has any knowledge of that ski...let me know. She has been expressing interest in the terrain park, so I thought maybe a twin tip might not be a bad idea.

RuthB

Angel Diva
We put our 9 year old (now 10 and approx 72lb and a couple of inches taller - so less muscle mass) on the volkl gotama jr last year and year and they have been fantastic - they have a wood core and enough shape that they are easy to get on an edge on groomers, but really stable and solid in powder, tracked powder and trees. They really took his skiing to a new level and he was was all over Jackson Hole in January. We are about to replace them in a longer length

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the Volkl Gotama JR - This year bought 11 yo DD a pair of used Elan RaceRC? skis in a 140 as I wanted her to get the feel of a better carving ski... then mid season she demo'd the Gotama JR 148 on a fresh 6+ inches day and we ended up buying them. She has been riding them and having a lot of fun in different conditions. (she trades off between skis). She did state that they do "carve" as well as go backwards.... lol. As mentioned on other posts though, they do show their wear on the top sheet. However, considering they were about $300 w/bindings and she will use them another season I think well worth it. There are other posts - I know @artistinsuburbia son has these skis as well. I believe they go up to 158. The 148s were hard to find online so I bought the "only used 2x" demos.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Great to hear @WaterGirl and @RuthB ! I was looking at the Gotama Jrs as well, but wasn't sure because I think they are a full rocker, no? Good to hear that they love them, and that they are good in all conditions. That's the kind of ski I'm really looking for. I will try to keep my eyes out for some good deals this summer.

Thank you for the advice!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes full rocker. I did see some on line discounted, but depends on length. We have done hard pack np, but not " really icy" so not sure in true ice how they are .... however, based on where you are and planning on skiing I'm sure they would be great! Also hoping for much more snow next season and the need for a ski that will float ;)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
DS skis the 158 and they are his second pair. I've skied them myself and they are def. a great all mountain ski. Top sheet is a mess! And I thought he was just being hard on them. Ha! Guess I can go easy on him now. We bought him cheaper skis before his first pair of gots (142?) and the cheap skis lasted four days before he cracked them in half landing on the tails off a jump. So these take abuse outside of the top sheet. He skis park, trees, piste, and off-piste, and mid-atlantic boilerplate with them. Full rocker with great float. Although I would say that if she doesn't have enough leg strength, these skis could easily ski her. They are a bit stiffer than most jr skis.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Sounds great. Too bad about the top sheet, but I think that might be the least of their concerns :ski::ski2:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna