• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need Size Help, Boot and Ski Rec's

Bostongal

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Divas:
I'm new here but have been peeking around for a while. This is my first winter getting into skiing and its been a fun and I've made great progress through lessons.

I've seen the prices come down on skis drastically and I'm considering getting my first pair. I've made great progresson rentals but think I'd rather have a solid ski to learn on and put the money towards my own stuff. I have about 6-8 more ski days planned as of now.

So I'm 30 yo, 5'4, 115lbs, good on greens and start blues with my next lesson soon. I'm interested in a ski that will be good for me now and at least a couple more seasons. I am considering:

K2 Sweet Luv and Supersweet (saw these for $325+$399)
Atomic Cloud 6 (Found a deal for $229)
2010 K2 True Luv (can get these as a retired demo for $209)
Solomon Origins (my local Sports Authority has these 299)

The True Luv is the more intermediate + of all those. But should I not look in that catergory yet, as I'm starting out? Also what is good with the K2 rocker stuff I see?

Now onto boots, I have a narrow foot and a ladies 8.5. I'm looking at (these models particularly cause of the sale prices):
Solomon Divine 4
Dalbello Aspire 5.9
Lange Delight 70

I plan to try these on in the store and buy my size online if a better deal.

Most important I need help with is ski size, I a lightweight cautious skier, was considering in the mid 140s? The K2's I like are in 142 (sweet luv, true luv) and super sweet was 146. Or do I need longer?

Sami

Certified Ski Diva
Without looking at your foot, I don't think anyone can really tell you about a boot. Boot fit depends on so much-- heel, forefoot, instep. I think the only way you should buy a boot online is if you tried it on in the store and it fit perfectly. And I'd hate to see you do that if it was an independent ski shop and a bootfitter who helped you find the perfect boot and then you left and bought it online for $30 cheaper. Get a pair of boots that really fit you, and I wouldn't trust anyone to help you except someone at a good ski shop, especially since you are just getting into skiing. Someone at a chain shop might just try to convince you to buy what they have in stock regardless of whether it's right for your foot. If you end up in bad boots for your foot, or boots that don't fit right, it will mess up your skiing. Everything is going on sale now, anyway. Go to a good ski shop and get fitted to a boot that is right for you.
All that said, I have worn Salomon which I liked quite a bit and I have a narrow heel and wider forefoot with a high instep. I skiied in a pair of Lange racing boots for years. Now I ski in Technicas. I think overall Lange is for a narrower foot, but again, try them on first. I have wasted a lot of money trying to save money by buying equipment online. I really think it's a bad idea unless you know exactly what you want.
Skis will be easier to find online but I haven't skied on any of the ones you're looking at so can't help there.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, I ski the Truluv, I would describe myself as a cautious intermediate, loving cruisy greens and blues tho I can navigate a red or in the states a single black safely, if a little slowly tho I will sideslip if its intimidating or really busy. I can carve but if i'm having a tough day with pain/balance I find myself ploughing. I find the T9 quite forgiving and easy to turn.
Obviously the best thing is to demo if you can and try a few. It sounds like your progressing and enjoying your skiing so I'd be inclined not to trade down to the first luv as you will outgrow it very quickly. As for length I don't feel qualified to comment, I ski very short for my height I'm just under 6ft but ski 156 as they are lighter and easier to turn with my crip spine/hips.
I'm sure someone on this forum with more technical knowledge will be along to give you a more rounded opinion than my gut feel. Have fun. x:smile:

Sami

Certified Ski Diva
one more thing: be careful of getting too big boots. I'm a size 8 and wear a 23.5. They were just a tiny bit too big-- my right foot toes were just slightly bent while my left foot felt good so my ski shop put different insoles that raised my heel just slightly and gave me the tiny bit of extra space I needed. If you are an 8.5 I'd go with a 24-- but it depends on the fit of the boot. Another reason you really need someone good to help size you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Where have you been skiing? The rocker is usually more of a factor for folks who get to ski powder more often.

Note that length is not measured the same by all brands. Meaning a K2 142 is not really the same as the Atomic in the low 140 range. Can you demo any of the skis you mentioned? You may be surprised at how much you can already feel the difference even as a relatively new skier. Also good to try different lengths of the same ski if possible.

When you compare ski prices, remember to consider whether or not bindings are included. Skis without bindings are sold "flat" and you can add whatever binding you like. Seems like bindings are $80-150. The skis I've bought so far had integrated bindings so I've never researched them much.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The ski stop in Westwood, MA is where I go for boots, they are really great there and stand behind their work. They also opened a new location in Canton this year. Just a suggestion if you end up wanting to go to a boot fitter in the area. If you don't buy boots from them there is a fitting fee, but if you do, it is included with the boot price as is any work you need done to the boot.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The ski stop in Westwood, MA is where I go for boots, they are really great there and stand behind their work. They also opened a new location in Canton this year. Just a suggestion if you end up wanting to go to a boot fitter in the area. If you don't buy boots from them there is a fitting fee, but if you do, it is included with the boot price as is any work you need done to the boot.

Plus one of the owners is a Diva, so let her know you are, too. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Also, I have a pair of K2 Sweet Luv from when I started skiing (I think they are 2007, I bought them brand new at the end of a season) They have demo bindings so adjust to any size boot. they are 146 and not rockered. I'm 5'4 and 125 lbs., they were great for a couple of seasons, but then I definitely wanted more length.

I'm looking to sell them off now because DH keeps telling me it is ridiculous to keep them now that I have a few pairs of skis I use that are 10+ cm longer than those. If you decide you'd be interested in the ski and size and want a cheaper alternative, I'm looking to get ~$150 for them. I also work in Canton, MA so we could arrange a meetup without need for shipping, etc.. Just an alternative food for thought if you'd like to save some money on skis and put it toward boots or something :becky:

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) Invest in well fitted boots. The boots are the single most important factor in your skiing, and you'll progress lots faster with good boots and rental skis than you would with new skis and rental boots. You don't progress out of boots as quickly as you do out of skis, so the boots you buy today will last you for several seasons to come.

2) Every foot is different. Go to a qualified bootfitter (NOT a big box store) and get properly fitted for boots that work for *you*. Getting sizing advice online or shopping around for a deal may work fine for skis, but is really not recommended for boots.

3) If you still have money left over after getting the right boots on your feet, then you can look at investing in some skis. Here's where shopping around for deals will pay off. If you can buy a used pair of skis in good condition, you can ski them for a season or two, and then get a pretty good resale value on them when you upgrade.

4) Don't go too short on the skis. Shorter is easier to turn, true, but if you're buying a beginner/intermediate ski already, the level of the ski will already be set to compensate for that.

Good luck!

Bostongal

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the advice ladies. Sounds like I really need a pro boot fitting. Wachusett does this service. I'm ok to spend more for the right boot I won't have to replace again for a while. My sizes I've tried have varied between 25.5-26.5 in different brands.

I'll only be skiing in New England this year. For now I have been to mountains in MA, but the rest will be in NH for the rest of the season.

I'm going to Loon and Mt. Sunapee next. I'll try to check out some demo's.

Bostongal

Certified Ski Diva
Oh great tip on the ski stop in Westwood and Canton. Those aren't too far. I'm going to look it up! I'd rather the personal service. The only time I looked at boots was at Sports Autority and Alpine but no service what so ever!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, definitely avoid those places. The lack of service isn't the only reason; the problem is, you'll probably get boots that simply don't fit properly. Most beginners end up with boots that are way too big, because they go to the store and the salesguy asks "how do those feel?" and people expect them to feel like shoes. Properly fitted ski boots will feel tighter than you think they should. That's normal. So don't be surprised if you go to a fitting and find out that you've been renting boots all this time that are too big. As a beginner, it's okay to go for a comfort as opposed to performance fit, but you might be surprised at what a "comfort" fit feels like.

Make sure to read this really awesome thread before you go, so you can know what to expect: Why YOU (yes, you) need a boot fitting!

Good luck!

Chatagirl

Certified Ski Diva
My sizes I've tried have varied between 25.5-26.5 in different brands.

I'm a true 10 and in a 26.5 (most models). Yes, they all run different but make sure you are getting sized up properly.

The tip to 'invest' in the right boots and go used for skis (if necessary) is a good one. The reccomended boots for me were way over my budget so I went with some used skis to soften the blow. And honestly, at my level (mostly blues) I can't really tell the difference between skis....but getting boots that fit, HUGE difference.

Best of luck getting through the process....it can seem overwhelming.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skis may come and go, but if you find boots that fit right you'll want to marry them. I kept mine right across from my bed or on top of the bureau pretty much all summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly