• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need new skis and need suggestions!

funkyg

Diva in Training
Michigan skier that will be skiing in Utah this winter. Looking for advice on the type of ski I should buy. Currently skiing on blizzard black Pearl 82 152cm. I'm 5'6" 150lbs. I know the skis I use now are short for my height. I skied in high school randomly and more recently picked up skiing during Covid.

This will be my third season skiing and it's all been Michigan with one trip to Eldora. I'm prob considered advanced beginner? I have never been down a Michigan black diamond so if that says anything. And there's some blues that I won't attempt.

Having said all that, would the black Pearl 97 159cm be too much ski for me to use in Utah?
Or would the 88s be a better choice? Only ski on groomers and never aggressively.

Thanks for any suggestions :smile:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Michigan skier that will be skiing in Utah this winter. Looking for advice on the type of ski I should buy. Currently skiing on blizzard black Pearl 82 152cm. I'm 5'6" 150lbs. I know the skis I use now are short for my height. I skied in high school randomly and more recently picked up skiing during Covid.

This will be my third season skiing and it's all been Michigan with one trip to Eldora. I'm prob considered advanced beginner? I have never been down a Michigan black diamond so if that says anything. And there's some blues that I won't attempt.

Having said all that, would the black Pearl 97 159cm be too much ski for me to use in Utah?
Or would the 88s be a better choice? Only ski on groomers and never aggressively.

88 is fine for the condition you are skiing.

What area did you ski in MI?

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

97 will probably be too wide and too much ski for you. My sis-in-law is a beginner like you, mainly greens and easy blues, and had a tougher time with the BP97 vs other skis.

Buy for conditions you usually ski rather than what you hope to ski. Will most of your skiing still be in Michigan with one Utah trip? Or are you in Utah all winter?

funkyg

Diva in Training
97 will probably be too wide and too much ski for you. My sis-in-law is a beginner like you, mainly greens and easy blues, and had a tougher time with the BP97 vs other skis.

Buy for conditions you usually ski rather than what you hope to ski. Will most of your skiing still be in Michigan with one Utah trip? Or are you in Utah all winter?
I'm keeping one set in Michigan (bp82) and one set in Utah. I'll be between both places quite often this winter.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I'm typically at cannonsburg 4-5 days a week but not sure that even counts ;)
But I've been up north to the good spots here often. I expect to have my mind blown in Utah ;)
I do not know where that is.
I have been to Caberfae once. Cute.

I ski in Aspen all winter long. Yes, you will be shocked. The difference is amazing. You would love the out west.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd aim for a ski about your height (low-to-mid 160s) and upper 80s/low 90s width. Sis has almost your exact stats and has loved the Rossignol Stargazer (now renamed Rallybird 92 this year).

But of course, nothing replaces demoing & lessons. Everyone has different preferences. If you're going to be in Utah a lot, I'd highly suggest demoing there first before buying.

funkyg

Diva in Training
I'd aim for a ski about your height (low-to-mid 160s) and upper 80s/low 90s width. Sis has almost your exact stats and has loved the Rossignol Stargazer (now renamed Rallybird 92 this year).

But of course, nothing replaces demoing & lessons. Everyone has different preferences. If you're going to be in Utah a lot, I'd highly suggest demoing there first before buying.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into demoing. I've never had the chance before.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm not a big gear knowledge person, but I’d have to agree. I ski the BP88 here in Michigan, and when I go out west. We don't get many days a season, and can’t justify multiple pairs, but they work fine for me in both places, even though the narrower ones would make more sense for here.

Emilyelf1

Diva in Training
I'm not a big gear knowledge person, but I’d have to agree. I ski the BP88 here in Michigan, and when I go out west. We don't get many days a season, and can’t justify multiple pairs, but they work fine for me in both places, even though the narrower ones would make more sense for here.
I'm a lower MI gal as well and not a total gearhead either. I'm finally replacing my old race equipment and wondering if you can say more about your experience on the 88's in lower MI? I'm looking at a few pairs with that waist, but worried they are too wide, especially coming from my current race skis, which are much narrower underfoot... Will be doing most of my skiing with my 5 year old at Mulligan's Hollow in GH (rope tows for life!) and Caberfae with hopefully a few trips further north and out west.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've never been to Mulligan's Hollow, not even just to see what it's like. Do they have snowshoeing there, too? Maybe worth a a winter's drive just to be somewhere different. Anyway, I honestly have no trouble with the 88 width. I'm sure they don't grip as well as a narrower ski, but it's not like I'm skidding around and can't get an edge, either. Again, not a gear person, but I know when I've demoed narrower skis there seems to be a lot more turning involved. Is that better or worse for skiing with a five year old? Don't have kids, so I don't know the answer to that, either.

I suspect it also would matter more depending on what you like? Meaning - I love big sweeping turns, so would be unhappy with a slalom-oriented ski, but I can also make the BPs do smaller turns, so I can take them in the softer, out west bumps. I typically don't bother with bumps here, because I hate the hard icy ones we get and it's not my first choice type of skiing anyway.

What I can say is that these skis make me ski things I don't ordinarily ski, in a good way. I'm comfortable on them.

Emilyelf1

Diva in Training
I've never been to Mulligan's Hollow, not even just to see what it's like. Do they have snowshoeing there, too? Maybe worth a a winter's drive just to be somewhere different. Anyway, I honestly have no trouble with the 88 width. I'm sure they don't grip as well as a narrower ski, but it's not like I'm skidding around and can't get an edge, either. Again, not a gear person, but I know when I've demoed narrower skis there seems to be a lot more turning involved. Is that better or worse for skiing with a five year old? Don't have kids, so I don't know the answer to that, either.

I suspect it also would matter more depending on what you like? Meaning - I love big sweeping turns, so would be unhappy with a slalom-oriented ski, but I can also make the BPs do smaller turns, so I can take them in the softer, out west bumps. I typically don't bother with bumps here, because I hate the hard icy ones we get and it's not my first choice type of skiing anyway.

What I can say is that these skis make me ski things I don't ordinarily ski, in a good way. I'm comfortable on them.
Thanks - that's exactly what I'm looking for! I'm not getting rid of my longer race skis, but want something that is going to give me a bit more confidence on other types of terrain and allow me to control my speed more easily. I love my long race skis, but they do not like to go slow and that's what I need to do lately. Appreciate the input!
RE: Mulligan's hollow, it's a great spot for kids and very cheap, but much more park/jump oriented. I wouldn't drive there just to ski as an adult. While not part of the ski area, there is a really great trail system that is accessible from the same parking lot and crisscrosses the top of the back hills. Right after a snowfall, I have taken my metal edge XC skis back there, but most of the time it's packed enough that you can hike it with a pair of ice running cleats - that's what I usually do. I also see a lot of people back there with fat tire bikes and that looks fun! Definitely could be a fun day trip to get out and about during the winter, but I would not go just for the skiing :-)

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I'm a lower MI gal as well and not a total gearhead either. I'm finally replacing my old race equipment and wondering if you can say more about your experience on the 88's in lower MI? I'm looking at a few pairs with that waist, but worried they are too wide, especially coming from my current race skis, which are much narrower underfoot... Will be doing most of my skiing with my 5 year old at Mulligan's Hollow in GH (rope tows for life!) and Caberfae with hopefully a few trips further north and out west.
Caberfae. Wow, I have been there twice now that I think of it.
My ex's family had a beautiful vintage A-frame near by.

I would guess you would feel 88 being small vessels under your feet. My daily driver is 75 and just perfect width for me. Were you a slalom or gs racer? Sounds like the latter. If former, stay skinny some what, like 75 or cliser to 80.
I use my 88 and 90 when we get a bit of powder.

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks - that's exactly what I'm looking for! I'm not getting rid of my longer race skis, but want something that is going to give me a bit more confidence on other types of terrain and allow me to control my speed more easily. I love my long race skis, but they do not like to go slow and that's what I need to do lately. Appreciate the input!
RE: Mulligan's hollow, it's a great spot for kids and very cheap, but much more park/jump oriented. I wouldn't drive there just to ski as an adult. While not part of the ski area, there is a really great trail system that is accessible from the same parking lot and crisscrosses the top of the back hills. Right after a snowfall, I have taken my metal edge XC skis back there, but most of the time it's packed enough that you can hike it with a pair of ice running cleats - that's what I usually do. I also see a lot of people back there with fat tire bikes and that looks fun! Definitely could be a fun day trip to get out and about during the winter, but I would not go just for the skiing :-)
LOL, glad I managed something helpful in there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna