• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need help - Ideas for repurposing a big-@$$ tv stand

Jenny

Angel Diva
Been looking online at what others have done - anyone here have any ideas?

It looks like this one - except where they have shelves on the bottom we have a couple of drawers. And on each side, behind the doors, is a set of shelves.

bc95e38c-7467-43b5-9058-d4d102470b92-jpeg.73670

We have a window in the wrong place in our back entry so I can’t use the middle section for something like this:

8d7cbf7f-702e-454e-8d8b-824c1e97a4c6-jpeg.73671

And we don’t really need more bookshelves, which would be easy for the side sections.

So, just looking for inspiration.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Do you maybe have a poorly organized guest closet or something that could use shelves and drawers? You could maybe remove the middle shelves and put a clothing rod in that section, too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Do you maybe have a poorly organized guest closet or something that could use shelves and drawers? You could maybe remove the middle shelves and put a clothing rod in that section, too.
Guest closet is highest on the list right now - there's a cheap plastic shelving unit in there that would fit better in the basement or a garage. And maybe putting the rod in there would make the rest of the closet more useful for other storage, because then I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally taking up the space for hanging with other stuff.

Still working on how to fit it into the entryway somehow, but I think it's just too tight. I like the idea of cubbies to just throw stuff into, though. Maybe we can surround the window somehow - kind of like this:

entry 1.jpg or this, but with a cutout for the window

entry 2.jpg

I don't think there's really enough room for this type of thing, though.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have seen them repurposed as bars and home offices. What about ski gear storage? not skis, but helmets hats boots etc. I had an old cabinet with glass doors on top and drawers on bottom (not a tv armoire, but close) that I used for storing handbags. Crafts? What is overflowing in the house?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A lot depends on what the item is made out of, how it's constructed, and how much work you want to invest.

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
We have a plan. Will post pics when it's done, but DH bought a little extra wood and has a plan for the entryway, which apparently had more room than I realized. Then I think we'll do the guest closet, but it needs to be cut down in depth by about two inches in order to fit. Then we, and by we I continue to mean DH, can build shelves in the remainder of the closet. I think it will be pretty cool when it's all done.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the outcome!

Jenny

Angel Diva
As am I! Of course, when he went to buy the extra wood (because he decided he wanted to redo the bench part of this project - we already had the bench, which I thought was perfectly fine) at Lowe's, long story short, additional $$$ was spent on tools, as well. But I guess since he basically never shops any other time, I shouldn't be surprised.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's always my issue ... the tools. Every project seems to need a different tool set. And skill set.

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, phase one is basically complete.

Before. Bench usually covered in crap.

8BEEE031-6268-455E-9BBA-F9C3015A3F84.jpeg

New bench - each section just missing its shelf underneath.

C1A3D4CC-D4E3-4CA9-B3FE-DB6E03F071E6.jpeg

The finished product.

D3DE5EA1-9A32-44AC-93E2-EEDE08EFDE2D.jpeg

With the shelves in the side pieces. Right now, just reusing the glass ones, but that could change. I need baskets or some sort of container for at least some of the sections. Yoga mats go up top.

272E5613-92FA-411F-8F23-62E847E898FF.jpeg

Next up - reducing the depth of the center piece, getting it into the guest room closet, and building the shelves for the remainder of the space.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is this "next up" of which you speak? Are not all projects executed concurrently?

So confused ....

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations to you both on getting this project done. It takes a lot.

I'm working to finish up the first phase of house updates. Though I have the time (and have been wasting a lot of it), I have avoided starting any new work. I want to get on the program you're on ... one project at a time.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Were those side pieces already like that, with shelves and holes for the brackets that support the shelves? When I saw the photo with shelves in place, my first thought was ... how do you bore out all those holes in the right places so the shelves are level? It's little things like that that bite me in the butt on projects.

Repurposing the unit like that was a really good idea. You all did a great job.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks, ladies! I can't take any credit except for pushing the idea - DH did all the work. Didn't even make me help stain it.

@vickie - Yes, the side pieces were part of the original unit, otherwise we'd still be leveling the shelves too, lol! That's why the shelves are glass. If he'd done this from scratch they'd be wood.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, the remainder of this project had to sort of be scrapped. It's just a bit too awkward to cut it down to fit in the closet - something about where the back of the drawers would be, as well as where the cutting down would need to happen. It's too deep compared to the closet to make it fit. So it’s now in the corner of the bedroom with an additional shelf or two, and the stereo/TV in it. So, not really repurposed, but at least being used. And once I get used to it looming in the corner it won’t be so bad.

0A600EA3-96E9-44FE-9C94-FD04D0A81707.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly