• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need Help Choosing New Skis: Volkl and K2

momfor4

Diva in Training
Hi!
First time posting! Would love some help choosing new skis.

45 years old, 5'5", 125lbs, advanced skier (we ski the entire mountain, love groomed and powder, I am decent in bumps). I can ski any run...may not always be pretty but I know I can get myself down any run. I did not learn to ski until I was 30 years old. Living in CO for 4 years and UT for 2 years really helped me improve quickly. I am very athletic and am determined to continue skiing with my 4 kids (though the 2 teenagers have definitely passed me!)

We ski one to two times a year...usually 8 days in Utah, and then a shorter trip in Colorado, Wyoming, or Idaho.

My current ski is Volkl 724 gamma, 149.
Purchased about 4years ago.
My skiing improves each year and I am definitely a much more confident and aggressive skier than I was 4 years ago.

The last 2 years, this ski just didn't feel that great. Felt like I had to work hard. Felt slow in some conditions and like it was "chattering" on steep groomed. Okay in bumps.
I am told that the ski is too short for me and I should be on a 156.

Prior to the Volkl, I was on two different K2s (can't remember the models...but I was a beginner, then intermediate skier on those skis).
Loved the K2s and loved my Volkls, so to keep it easy I am going to choose my new ski from one of these two brands.

I need an all mountain ski that will work in just about any condition. When we do this week long trip each year, we ski everyday, all day...no matter the condition...dumping snow, hard and icy, groomed, etc. Don't have the luxury of having more than one ski as there are 6 of us traveling all with our own gear!

Local ski shop put me on the Volkl Luna (156) today. Loved it on the groomed runs, especially steep blacks. I felt relaxed and felt like the ski was doing the work. Skied faster than I am usually comfortable doing. My husband said I looked like a totally different person on this ski...looked easy and effortless. It was decent in moguls. I felt like it didn't want to turn quickly, but maybe I just need to get used to it. Maybe I am also adjusting to the longer length? Found a few runs, ungroomed, that still had some decent snow on them, not too chewed up...didn't feel as good here, but okay.

Any opinions on this ski?
Should I try the Tierra? Ski shop said it is much stiffer and did not think I would like it.

What should I try in the K2 line? Ski shop is pushing Burnin Luv, but I get the impression this is better on groomed runs, and maybe is not so great as an all mountain ski?

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Michelle

I'm familiar with the Volkl line. The Luna is a great ski but your skills sound too advanced for the ski. The Tierras are stiff. If you are looking for ski for all Western conditions, try the Volkl Aura in a 156. If that's too wide a ski for you right now, search this forum for info. on Dynastar skis and K-2s as many of the Divas have posted about them.

Good luck! 149 is definately too short for your height and weight at and skill level.

dartmoorskier

Certified Ski Diva
From my experience I've found the Volkls and K2 skis have quite a different feel about them, so it would be good for you to try both and compare. The Volkls are quite lively whilst the K2 Burnin Luv has a damper feel. For me, I prefer the Volkls.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Consider the K2 Lotta Luv as a great all-mountain ski, especially for "points west."
Another to try: Atomic 7th Heaven.
I just demo'd the Tierra and didn't find it too stiff at all (similar height/weight as you).
All-mountain/women's specific is a growing category - lots of good choices!
My go-to ski for mixed conditions is Dynastar Exclusive Legend 158. Tons of fun (especially in bumps). But you may have more fun on the Exclusive Legend Powder (85 under foot), which I also have and am very happy with. This somehow is a very underrepresented brand on this forum, so I'm always tossing it into the ring as a candidate. The 2 models are really quite versatile and worth a look/demo.

momfor4

Diva in Training
Thanks everyone.
I am going to turn in my Luna's today and try the Tierra and some of the k2s. Sounds like the Dynastars are a good option too, so will see if I can find those. I will let you know how it goes!
t

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look into some of the all mountain twins in the 80-95mm waist width, too. Many (in fact, most now) are more than competent on the groomers in any condition besides ice. They will be better than the fat carvers on the ungroomed stuff as well.

Seconding the suggestion of the Volkl Aura as a stellar go anywhere, do anything ski. And surprisingly not so fat as to be a dog in the bumps.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just demo'd the Lotta Luv and the Lunas today. Loved, loved, LOVED the Lunas. I cannot tell you how thrilling they were. We were on hard packed powder with softer in the afternoon.

I went from them to the Lotta Luvs and hated them. :( I don't know why. Just found them completely unresponsive. I thought maybe I was just tired so I went back to the Lunas and they were still just as great (even on tired legs).

I have to tell you that I was a very hesitant steep blue but could ski black if I had to (in MI). Rarely skied black in CO. On the Lunas I was VERY comfortable and did at least 5 blacks today and 2 bump runs (which I have always wanted to do). VERY happy with those skis.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too was in the same situation this year, which one to buy? k2 or volkl. At first I was leaning torward the k2 burnin luv. sounded like a great all mountain ski, but I ended up getting the volkl tierra (o2gearshop.com free shipping and 09 for the price of 08 because they didn't have them in stock yippee),because I wanted something a little bit wider under foot for the powder days, and I am so glad I got them. I normally ski the groomer until I can get "outta bounds" then back to the groomer to get on lift line. I'm sure I would have been happy with the k2's as well, but the volkl have fit me to a tee. very responsive for an aggressive skier, I'm only 5'1" 110lbs, and got the tierras in 156. also in a lange exclusive 100 boot. hope that helps. demo if you can...In the end its all about you:smile:

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course, demo if you can! I like Volkls and they pop, but there are plent of K2 devotees as well.

I would add another recommendation for the Volkl Aura. Based on where you ski, it sounds like it would be a great fit for you - it handles all conditions with ease. It loves soft snow, but it will grip hardpack and ice when needed. I even found that you can get short turns out of them when necessary. In short, it does it all in all conditions out west!

Good luck in your search :smile:

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am an intermediate/advanced skier. I can ski blacks, blues. I was visiting Sheena in Utah Demo'd the K2's Lotta Luv and did not have a lotta luv for them. I then demo'd the Volkl Luna and loved them. I did not like how stiff the lotta luv's were. I had a more difficult time carving on the lotta luv's then on the Luna's. I also skied on Sheena's Atomics, orange color, can't remember the name, but I loved them as well.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update:

I don't know if you've chosen yet. I LOVED the Lunas as I said previously. I then demo'd another day. I tried the Lunas again and really liked them especially in the bumps. I then tried the Tierras and loved them on groomers (more stable at higher speeds) but did NOT like them in the bumps. Then I tried the Nordica Victory. WOW! Talk about a cadillac. Those were some of the smoothest skis I have ever skied. :becky: But, no pop. I then went back to Volkl and tried the Fuegos. HOly mackrel. Awesome on groomers and incredible in the bumps. I loved them. I am 5'9" and 210 pounds and actually went with a 154 which was plenty of ski for me. I really want to do bumps so the shorter was an advantage and felt right. I did demo the 161s and found them to be wonderful as well, just liked the shorter for some reason.

Hope this helps. I will also second the demo, demo, demo. :laugh: All I know is that I came home with a new pair of Feugos from Steamboat and can't wait to try them out at home.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you get a chance to try the Blizzard Viva 7.6, do it. Its on the low end of the midfat range you're looking at but its quite a nice ski.

angieskibunny

Diva in Training
i also tried out the Luna and loved them - demoed them in a 163 which i usually would have preferred shorter but they didn't have them in at the time. They were great fun on the groomers, but i think i noticed the extra length and didn't feel as comfortable when i hit some old powder that was a bit too crunchy on top and i couldn't turn or do anythign comfortably!
Am keen to try out the luna's again in the 156 and see if i can tel the difference - they're probably a bit below my ability, but if they're fun and comfy, then why not?!
Has anyone tried the Sol? no one seems to mention it, but from the volkl website, it seems like a good option for the level in between the luna and tierra. (tierra was way too stiff for my liking, didn't have fun at all).

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i also tried out the Luna and loved them - demoed them in a 163 which i usually would have preferred shorter but they didn't have them in at the time. They were great fun on the groomers, but i think i noticed the extra length and didn't feel as comfortable when i hit some old powder that was a bit too crunchy on top and i couldn't turn or do anythign comfortably!
Am keen to try out the luna's again in the 156 and see if i can tel the difference - they're probably a bit below my ability, but if they're fun and comfy, then why not?!
Has anyone tried the Sol? no one seems to mention it, but from the volkl website, it seems like a good option for the level in between the luna and tierra. (tierra was way too stiff for my liking, didn't have fun at all).

Although they're stiffer don't discount the Fuegos. Give them a whirl and I think you'll be slight surprised. Of the 3 I would say:

#1 Fuego
#2 Luna
#3 Tierra

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna