• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need help choosing my DD's riding related Christmas present.

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello ladies,

My DD, age 6 1/2, has been in riding lessons for the past 9 months or so and loves it. Her riding instructor suggested I get her her own helmet with a hat insert in it to keep her ears warm during the cold winter weather up here. She said Dover Saddlery was probably the best place to get one. I have looked all over that site and can't figure out what she's talking about but I may just not be looking for the right thing or in the right place or something. Do any of you know what she is referring to? Also, do any of you have a recommendation for a decent children's helmet?

Thanks.

Helmets (ski, riding, bike, wahtever) are best fit in person, not ordered on line. You should look for a good tack shop in Michigan to get her properly fit.

Oh, I didn't get that. I've had pretty good luck with a variety of helmets and anyway, if your DD is only 6, she'll grow of out hers before it wears out anyway. Some have adjustments on the inside so they can last awhile. My 3 daughters who all rode between the ages of 9 and 11 still fit their helmets at 16-19!

No, I'm not familiar with inserts. They do make insulated riding gloves though, I have a pair and they were a lifesaver on cold days.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.doversaddlery.com/polartec®-cozy-cover/p/X1-3671/?ids=uro25kf5mjzqwh45x1odc045 I've never heard of a specific winter helmet insert, but this is a winter helmet cover. Maybe she is just thinking of a skull cap (tight fitting, often made of a stretchy material) that could be worn under the helmet, but I've never seen one made specifically for riding. I would be concerned though that you would have to buy a bigger helmet to fit it under, and then it will be too big in warmer weather. As far as good beginner riding helmets go, you can't go wrong with a Troxel.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad your daughter is enjoying her riding :bounce: I agree with marymack that covering her ears might muffle her instructor, better to stick with a regular helmet but perhaps get her some insulated overchaps/trousers instead? If you keep the rest of her warm enough the head should take care of itself, I have a pair of waterproof, insulated chaps and they are the best. Happy shopping!

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the recommendations. I considered having her ride in her snow pants when it gets really cold but I am a little worried they will be too slippery.

Lesson update: Last week her instructor told me that either tomorrow or next week she will start jumping. Munchkin is excited. I believe I will be in need of a tranquilizer.

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The jump was about 5 inches high. After the second or third time over she pointed at a jump that was about 3 feet high and asked when she could do that one. That child has no fear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly