• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need an All Mountain Ski

Ski Fever

Diva in Training
Please Help !
Need advice on 'the next pair of skis'.
Have read so many reviews and comparisons, I don't know what to choose.

I have an AC3 Volkl from 7 years ago.
+ the K2 Misdirected from 2012.

The Volkl is a great carving ski & very stable at high speed.
Not so great in the trees or deeper snow ; it feels heavy instead of adaptable & sinks in.

The K2 is awesome in powder !!
I bought them just before Revelstoke received 31 cm overnight.
A dream to float & spin-turn on because of the rocker tips ;)
Adaptable to a groomed run, but not very fast or stable at speed, with the rocker tips flapping.
A loose feeling on those turns, unless you really lean onto the edges.

I am looking for something that falls in between.
Have heard that this season Rossy 84 & 88 would be good choices.
Perhaps the 88 a little too close to my K2, though ?
The Volkl Aura also landed #1 in some ski review.

I'm 5'6" 136 lbs
Advanced / Expert skier
Hills : Lk Louise, Fernie, Revelstoke

Any recommendations ?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @Ski Fever - i ski the same mountains as you, I'm a low advanced skier (I ski any blacks in any conditions but not always elegantly, and would like to become more adventurous in double blacks) and my everyday ski is the Nordica Santa Ana - it's been great this year for everything. I love it on soft snow, it's my favourite ski i've had in bumps, and it's not bad to get back on the chair via groomers. My gfs also have the Volkl Aura (I liked it, but it's stiffer than the Santa Ana, and I like the Santa Ana's more playful feel), Dynastar Chams, Volkl 98s, Rossi Temptation 88s. My previous ski was a Volkl Kenja - which was great, but not as easy in the bumps or soft snow as the Santa Anas.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll suggest add the Atomic Vantage 95cw to your demo list.. super fun ski.. more flex and pop than the Kenja's and for me more playful than the 2018 Santa Ana's which were Ok but I weigh more than you so I felt I over powered them and for me still on the stiff side.

the 2018 Black Pearl is also a VERY Nice Ski and I think WAY better than the previous versions (I have 2014's I want to sell and get 2018's) I demo'd all these skis in spring conditions with firm packed/frozen granular/ice and by afternoon piles of spring snow with ice in between. Yes Volkl's do hold an edge but the stiffness of the ski is just something I can't get beyond I've always had light flexible skis..

Have fun Demoing!

Ski Fever

Diva in Training
I should fess up. 2 of my brothers are coming in from Ontario on Saturday.
We leave Sunday for a 4 hill ski tour. Fernie/ Panorama / Kimberley and Lk Louise.
I have the opportunity to rent a pair of Rossignol 84 or 88 with bindings for $150 / for the week.
I might just do that vs running out to buy another pair 'in a rush'.

However, I will read more of the reviews based on skis mentioned in other messages, and if something hits home, with a 'right price' find in Calgary, might buy a pair...

Thanks for the advice so far !

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I should fess up. 2 of my brothers are coming in from Ontario on Saturday.
We leave Sunday for a 4 hill ski tour. Fernie/ Panorama / Kimberley and Lk Louise.
I have the opportunity to rent a pair of Rossignol 84 or 88 with bindings for $150 / for the week.
I might just do that vs running out to buy another pair 'in a rush'.

However, I will read more of the reviews based on skis mentioned in other messages, and if something hits home, with a 'right price' find in Calgary, might buy a pair...

Thanks for the advice so far !
all of the above, and try out the k2 all luv it. the 2018 got rave reviews in the women's focus group I participated in recently.

mustski

Angel Diva
I used to own AC3's, so my question is did you love them? Also, it sounds like you love your K2s. Are you looking for a one ski quiver to replace them both or an all mountain ski to compliment the K2 s powder performance. The Auras are a great ski, but if you are looking more for an all terrain, variable conditions ski, I would recommend the Kenja ( little sister to the Aura). I only mention that because the AC3s were a stellar carving ski. If you still want a ski that will carve when you want to, the Kenja's will do that as well as handle off piste, crud, trees, light powder; a good all around ski. If you could flex the AC3, you will have no trouble with the Kenjas.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@CarverJill, where do you usually ski? How are the Great Joys in spring slush and crud? And what qualifies as "deep powder?" Just curious... Really hoping to demo that if I can. Tried the Absolute Joys back East and loved them.

What year is your Great Joy model? Have they changed that one much since they introduced it?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Joy series from Head is a great series of skis! I am mad at myself for not trying them sooner--demoed the Super Joy (75 under foot) and Total Joy (85 under foot) two weeks ago, and ended up buying the Super Joy, I loved them that much. The Total Joy would be a GREAT daily driver ski, but I already own an 88 under foot Black Pearl, and have been wanting a narrower carving type of ski, so the Super Joy is what I went with.

Deb, I found the Super Joy was actually AWESOME in spring slush, I mean SLUSH, and a mixed bag of dense mashed potatoes and pure hard pack/ice. They are just so easy to ski, and so precise-feeling, that they just made skiing easy no matter what.

I'd love to get out on a pair of Great Joys in powder, although I don't need them since I have the Santa Anas for powder.

Jilly

Staff member
I find the 88's stiffer than the 84. Keep an eye on Monod's site. Sales are coming up.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@CarverJill, where do you usually ski? How are the Great Joys in spring slush and crud? And what qualifies as "deep powder?" Just curious... Really hoping to demo that if I can. Tried the Absolute Joys back East and loved them.

What year is your Great Joy model? Have they changed that one much since they introduced it?

I ski out west, all over. With my Great Joys I have been to Crested Butte, Aspen, Banff, Mammoth, and demoed them in Big Sky. I have only tried them in spring stuff this past weekend at Mammoth and they were good, just as good as anything IMO. I have skied in powder that was about 4-5" deep and they were fine but I'd like a longer more rockered ski for a true powder day. I'm 5'9" and have the longest option, 168. What I really like best about them is their ability to truly carve down a groomer since they have such a small sidecut radius compared to other similar skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I ski out west, all over. With my Great Joys I have been to Crested Butte, Aspen, Banff, Mammoth, and demoed them in Big Sky. I have only tried them in spring stuff this past weekend at Mammoth and they were good, just as good as anything IMO. I have skied in powder that was about 4-5" deep and they were fine but I'd like a longer more rockered ski for a true powder day. I'm 5'9" and have the longest option, 168. What I really like best about them is their ability to truly carve down a groomer since they have such a small sidecut radius compared to other similar skis.
I demoed the Head Great Joy in Switzerland and loved them. Also demoed the Black Crow Camox Birdie in Austria (same trip) and loved them... So my question is I'm 5'1 103 ish and tried the 153 in the Great Joy. Read some reviews that they can be skied longer. So I found them for $429 2017 flat ski on an Oregon website in 158.... wonder if 5 cm is that big of a difference. Also eyeballing the Black Crows. Both have same waist (97-98) but vastly different turning radius. (12 vs 18).... Currently own 2014 Sambas.... Curious what you think????

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Great Joy has not changed since inception. It is available in a 173 so the 168 is not the longest. I have them in the 163 length and love them for everything.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Great Joy has not changed since inception. It is available in a 173 so the 168 is not the longest. I have them in the 163 length and love them for everything.
Your stats? Just wondering if 153 or 158 is better for me?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
5'6", 190ish.
Thanks! Sounds like the 153 was just right ! I did try the Santa Ana in both 153 and 161 in Tahoe (short turning radius) but think I like the great joy better...

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Head Great Joy in Switzerland and loved them. Also demoed the Black Crow Camox Birdie in Austria (same trip) and loved them... So my question is I'm 5'1 103 ish and tried the 153 in the Great Joy. Read some reviews that they can be skied longer. So I found them for $429 2017 flat ski on an Oregon website in 158.... wonder if 5 cm is that big of a difference. Also eyeballing the Black Crows. Both have same waist (97-98) but vastly different turning radius. (12 vs 18).... Currently own 2014 Sambas.... Curious what you think????

I don't know anything about the Black Crow sorry. I really like a smaller turning radius though and tried lots of well liked skis with a large one that I disliked.

Oh man......now I need new 173 Great Joys.......I guess that's what I get for buying at the end of the season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna