• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NE leaf peeping

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had such a great trip. The foliage was gorgeous. It can indeed be done on a budget--most nights I stayed at a very comfortable inn, breakfast included, for $99/night. Columbus Day was busy, Stowe and Smuggler's Notch were very busy/congested, but there weren't generally crowds elsewhere, especially when I got on to back roads. I LOVED using the Mad River Valley as a base. And, I got to see Wendy and Sallycat! Here are some photos:
Great pics as always! Looks like you had great luck with weather. I'm headed north in a couple days and hope to get at least a couple clear days next week.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Vermont! As some of you know, Christy and I met for dinner (along with SallyCat). And the first thing she said to me when she sat down was, "So, I can see why you live here." Yes, I'm Vermont proud!

Christy, your photos are gorgeous! Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but did you use a regular camera or are those from your phone?

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Christy - your photos are wonderful! Thanks for sharing! How fun that you, @ski diva and @SallyCat were able to meet up in person. It’s always fun when divas get together!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I was in Vermont recently too, from last Monday to Wednesday on the way home from a quick visit to see friends in Cape Cod. We had planned to leave the Cape Monday and arrive home (north of Montreal) the next day, but Tuesday was so glorious that we spent an extra day. Monday night we stayed near Killington, then spent Tuesday driving mainly back roads. Stayed at an inn near Bristol, drove over the mountain to see Mad River Glen (never been there before) and enjoyed meeting some lovely people. Loved it all - well, until I saw my Visa bill - the exchange is a KILLER! You Americans are going to love coming to Tremblant!

Christy

Angel Diva
@ski diva The photos were taken on my phone (Samsung 9+).

OH also. Where has a maple syrup latte been all my life? Why is pumpkin spice such a thing but I don't see maple syrup items in fall? I thought this was going to be a tourist gimmick but the woman at Mon Vert Cafe in Woodstock assured me she had one every day, and wow was it good.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@ski diva The photos were taken on my phone (Samsung 9+).

OH also. Where has a maple syrup latte been all my life? Why is pumpkin spice such a thing but I don't see maple syrup items in fall? I thought this was going to be a tourist gimmick but the woman at Mon Vert Cafe in Woodstock assured me she had one every day, and wow was it good.

Not a tourist thing. Vermont has maple everything all. year. long. You haven't lived til you've had a maple creemee (soft maple ice cream).

Christy

Angel Diva
I tried to get a maple creemee in Waitsfield but they were out for the season since they were getting ready to close. They only had vanilla. :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not seeing much color in the Berkshires yet but should be some on the way to Lake Placid this weekend. Past peak in LP already but could be good in the Albany area.

A local I talked to near Mt. Greylock said it's been too warm for the leaves to turn yet. Up near the summit, it's been so windy that the leaves are already gone even though trees that are more sheltered are still green.

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 6.20.46 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
Sorry, but temperature has nothing to do with the leaves changing. It's sunlight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sorry, but temperature has nothing to do with the leaves changing. It's sunlight.
Hmm, the references I've found imply that cooler temperatures is a factor along with decreased daylight.

College of Environmental Science and Forestry
https://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/leaves/leaves.htm

". . .
But in the fall, because of changes in the length of daylight and changes in temperature, the leaves stop their food-making process. . . ."

Jilly

Staff member
Well I only did one semester of Botany. The big take away for me was that it took 3 years to make a pine cone....

But I did a science project for the Science Fair years ago on Chlorophyll and Geraniums.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva

Agreed real maple syrup is mostly ignored outside of the areas that produce it. So many people are missing out. Also. you don't need to be in New England for that special latte, just use maple syrup instead of sugar in your regular coffee and throw in some milk.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hmm, the references I've found imply that cooler temperatures is a factor along with decreased daylight.

College of Environmental Science and Forestry
https://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/leaves/leaves.htm

". . .
But in the fall, because of changes in the length of daylight and changes in temperature, the leaves stop their food-making process. . . ."

You and Jilly are both correct - because it's both. However, the bottom line is day length. Leaves will change even if temps stay warm. The brilliance of the color, however, is greatly affected by temperature. Still, even if it's warm, the leaves do change. Witness deciduous trees in the south. They change. And drop. When it's 70+.

Christy

Angel Diva
Agreed real maple syrup is mostly ignored outside of the areas that produce it. So many people are missing out. Also. you don't need to be in New England for that special latte, just use maple syrup instead of sugar in your regular coffee and throw in some milk.

I did but it wasn't the same. I think the creaminess of the latte was so perfect with the maple. I wonder if the barista frothed the maple and milk together.

Christy

Angel Diva
Hey New England friends!

I'm thinking about a trip next fall to NYC + someplace in New England. Leaf peeping, and trying to time it so I see the most color, probably won't be the priority. I love fall in general so I know I will enjoy even just seeing a little color or walking on crispy leaves. Anyway. As I'm thinking about destinations--last time I didn't get to the NE Kingdom in VT, and I can't stop thinking about how beautiful the Warren Inn looked--I am wondering about Nantucket. I freely admit this is because I'm reading so many Elin Hilderbrand novels. Does anyone have a thumbs up or down on Nantucket, and maybe Cape Cod, in fall? Not for trying to see the best leaves, just as a trip. As someone from the PNW I am not put off by cooler temps and shorter days (the WA coast is a bundle-up type situation even in summer, usually). I'd rather have that than crowds.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My neighbors always take a late season trip to Nantucket every year--late Sept or Oct. They seem to like it at that time of year. It's not as crowded as during the summer main tourist season and the weather can still be quite nice. I'd say the Cape in general is nicer in the fall due to fewer crowds and it's warmer than in the spring since the water is still warm from summer (as opposed to spring when water is still cold, so it makes it seem colder on land too due to wind etc).

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Nantucket is a bit remote, a plus or minus depending on how much time you have. It has become pretty exclusive/pricey so there are less options than Cape Cod. Nantucket is called the Gray Lady because of the fog . . . but you are from PNW, so you won't mind. There is some interesting history and lots of charm. Cape Cod has many towns each with its own character, so you'll need to to do some research as to where to visit or stay. Both Nantucket and the Cape are wonderful in September and you can luck out with some beach days, or not (its also hurricane season). By October, you get the history and charm, but not the beach atmosphere. You still have the maritime atmosphere. The leaf peeping is in the more deciduous areas of Western MA, NH, VT and Maine and that is early to Mid-October. Boston Marathon has been rescheduled from April to Oct 11 (Indigenous Peoples/Columbus Day). Be aware of that, if planning flights in and out of Boston/Logan around that time. It is a fun race to watch if you are into that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly