• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Name Change for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So is Palisades a particular area at one of the resorts?

It's good that they changed it but my first reaction is that it sounds like such a bland corporate name, like a housing or condo development.

Well what I was thinking was everyone is going to want to ski the hike to Palisades area, and believe me, everyone cannot ski that terrain........ Just watch a Warren Miller film.
I side slipped into one of the Palisades chutes a few years ago (my first time), and completely froze for a looooooong time, like, really embarrassingly long. After I made my first turn, it was like 3 more quick turns and then done. :redface:

In my defense, I had lost a ski on my immediate prior run on an intermediate slope, and when I had my alignment checked after this run, it was off by 1.5° on one side, which was contributing to my not being able to make right turns and losing my left ski all season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The majority of East Coast skiers I know are not all groomer skiers, and don’t go West for that. Maybe I just ski with a lot of adventurous people??
Yep, you ski with adventurous people.

I was thinking about families or groups of friends who take a once a year ski trip out west to a destination resort and stay slopeside. They don't usually ski every day and aren't trying to make first chair. Or people who drive 10 hours from Florida for a family ski weekend at Snowshoe in WV who may take a trip out west once or twice a decade.

My friends who do ski club trips find that it's hard to find a ski buddy for off-piste adventures. The one time I did a ski club trip from Raleigh, the day there was a powder storm in LCC, all the intermediates didn't ski at all. They were too scared. I had to catch a ride to Snowbird with the advanced skiers. I didn't ski with them, but knew enough to have a good time skiing fresh snow as an adventurous intermediate on trails I'd skied on earlier in the week. That was back in the 1990s, long before online ski forums were commonplace.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I side slipped into one of the Palisades chutes a few years ago (my first time), and completely froze for a looooooong time, like, really embarrassingly long. After I made my first turn, it was like 3 more quick turns and then done. :redface:
Impressive still !!! That was me the first time I skied Mt Rose chutes (sideslipped into the chute and then was half way down) and believe me, Palisades is a whole lot steeper !

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
How many east coasters of a certain age started to sing the theme song to the long defunct Palisades Amusement Park ("swings all day and after dark")?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yep, you ski with adventurous people.

I was thinking about families or groups of friends who take a once a year ski trip out west to a destination resort and stay slopeside. They don't usually ski every day and aren't trying to make first chair. Or people who drive 10 hours from Florida for a family ski weekend at Snowshoe in WV who may take a trip out west once or twice a decade.

My friends who do ski club trips find that it's hard to find a ski buddy for off-piste adventures. The one time I did a ski club trip from Raleigh, the day there was a powder storm in LCC, all the intermediates didn't ski at all. They were too scared. I had to catch a ride to Snowbird with the advanced skiers. I didn't ski with them, but knew enough to have a good time skiing fresh snow as an adventurous intermediate on trails I'd skied on earlier in the week. That was back in the 1990s, long before online ski forums were commonplace.
When I was a newer and much more timid skier I just didn’t go West. I didn’t want to go until I would be able to ski things that I couldn’t already ski in the East, like groomers. Now I do know that it’s still worth it for the views and, usually, higher quality snow surfaces. But back then I was also much more frugal as a recent college graduate learning to ski. I do feel lucky to ski with so many adventurous people now though, especially women. My comfort zone is always usually pushed somehow when out West with the divas and diva dudes, following around better skiers, and I appreciate that immensely because that’s what’s made me progress each time. It also translates to skiing back home, you’re on much bigger terrain in the West and then you come home and look for ways to push your boundaries because everything feels small and flat in comparison. :laughter:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ding, ding, ding! That's me!

BTW, here's my blog post on the matter.
Really like what you wrote!

What I though of was the Palisades Parkway. A favorite day trip when I was growing up in Manhattan was taking the Palisades Parkway to Bear Mountain Park. One of my best birthday parties with a few classmates was there when I was a tween.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not in love with the name Palisades but I really dig the logo. I like how the two mountains / waves / eagle feathers can be interpreted in a bunch of ways the same way I like the arrow in the FedEx logo.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've never heard "ski bunny" used in real life, I don't think. I'm sure if I were a woman skier in the 60s/70s and someone called me that, insinuating I looked the part but surely couldn't ski, I would have been pissed.

Christy

Angel Diva
Ding, ding, ding! That's me!

I liked this too. I do think the name will hang around for a while, among some. People here, including me, still call "Summit East", one of the 4 Summit at Snoqualmie areas, Hyak. That's what it was for a long time, that's the highway exit, that's the name of the mountain it's on. And, it's fewer syllables, which I think it key. I still call T-Mobile Park (where the Mariners play) "Safeco Field," the original name, at least 50% of the time. They are both terrible corporate names and I certainly have no fondness for "Safeco" but when you've called a place something for 20 years, it's hard to change.

I wonder if they should have renamed the whole thing as one entity Just in terms of geography and description, will people still need to describe AM and SV as such? Like, when you are telling someone where you skied yesterday?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really liked your blog post; you provide a great explanation of why the change matters.

As a historian of early-modern and modern culture, I'm pretty familiar with the dehumanizing impact of words, particularly in the context of anti-Semitism. And once people have been stripped linguistically of their humanity, the door is open to all sorts of atrocities.

I often want to jump into comment sections when people start throwing the word "offended" around. There's always a remark along the lines of "I have a Native American friend and he wasn't offended by the Washington Football Team's old logo, so the logo is fine."

I want to yell: "Offense isn't the point!" The point is the name was harmful. Derogatory, dehumanizing language does real, actual harm to real people.

Sometimes I feel like the Don Quixote of comment sections, tilting at harmful narratives. Maybe I shouldn't bother wading in to the mess of social media "discourse", but then if you don't provide a better narrative, people will just keep going with what's available and familiar.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wonder if they should have renamed the whole thing as one entity Just in terms of geography and description, will people still need to describe AM and SV as such? Like, when you are telling someone where you skied yesterday?
I thought Palisades Tahoe does refer to the entire resort?

The former SV side is being renamed as Olympic Valley. I gather that's been used informally ever since the 1960 Winter Olympics. AM will continue to be known as Alpine Meadows. They were combined in 2011. I've seen "SVAM" written as short hand for the long double name after that.

The gondola connecting the two sides is under construction. The process of getting that project off the ground took a lot of effort by the previous CEO. Involved the owner of the land between the two sides called White Wolf.

Christy

Angel Diva
I thought Palisades Tahoe does refer to the entire resort?
Right, that's what I'm saying--that people might default to the old names to describe where they skied because one name for the whole big resort isn't specific enough. The way I'd say, at Whistler, that I skied Blackcomb all day. Or at Snoqualmie, you'd say if you skied Alpental, or Hyak...But it sounds like you are saying they are sort of keeping names for each area, so if that is the case it won't be an issue.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have never associated Alpine Meadows with Squaw Valley. Always considered them separate resorts. They're not even connected . Yet.
Last couple years I would hear (not locals) Squawalpine and laugh.

It's been all over the news here on the coast...... I wonder if it refers to both resorts..... I didn't think so.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's been all over the news here on the coast...... I wonder if it refers to both resorts..... I didn't think so.
The two "resorts" were combined as on business entity in 2011. But given that there was no way to get between them by skiing, they maintained very distinct operations. From the standpoint of marketing to travelers who aren't wishing driving distance, it's been one "destination resort" for a decade. So SVAM, Squaw/Alpine, and other nicknames have been used instead of Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows. No one talking about the place was likely to say the full name out loud.

What's confusing is many of the headlines say something like "Squaw Valley changes name," not "Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows changes name." Obviously there hasn't been any reason to change the name of Alpine Meadows. So I can understand thinking that now it would be Palisades Tahoe/Alpine Meadows. But that's not the case.

September 13, 2021, News 4, Reno, Nevada
" . . .
A social media video posted from the resort's Facebook page said the two resorts there — previously Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows — will now both be known as Palisades Tahoe.

"The resort will begin implementing the new resort name and branding immediately, but expects the full changeover to be a multi-year process," resort officials said in a press release. "

The base area village on the Olympic Valley side will now be known as The Village at Palisades Tahoe, and Palisades Tahoe also plans to debut new names for the Squaw One and Squaw Creek chairlifts, to be selected with input by the Washoe Tribe, Resort at Squaw Creek, and the public. Palisades Tahoe leaders continue to assist other local businesses who are interested in changing their names, and the Washoe Tribe is leading the efforts to rename Squaw Peak and Squaw Creek.
. . ."

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The two "resorts" were combined as on business entity in 2011. But given that there was no way to get between them by skiing, they maintained very distinct operations. From the standpoint of marketing to travelers who aren't wishing driving distance, it's been one "destination resort" for a decade. So SVAM, Squaw/Alpine, and other nicknames have been used instead of Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows. No one talking about the place was likely to say the full name out loud.

What's confusing is many of the headlines say something like "Squaw Valley changes name," not "Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows changes name." Obviously there hasn't been any reason to change the name of Alpine Meadows. So I can understand thinking that now it would be Palisades Tahoe/Alpine Meadows. But that's not the case.

September 13, 2021, News 4, Reno, Nevada
" . . .
A social media video posted from the resort's Facebook page said the two resorts there — previously Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows — will now both be known as Palisades Tahoe.

"The resort will begin implementing the new resort name and branding immediately, but expects the full changeover to be a multi-year process," resort officials said in a press release. "

. . ."
Okay.... sounds reasonable. There are so many names that will need to be changed as stated above, Squaw Creek, Resort at Squaw Creek, Squaw Valley Lodge, Village at Squaw to name a few. It was a good move to change the name though.
Once again, I have never associated the two resorts as one. Probably never will. Can you imagine, "I'm going to Palisades Tahoe - see you on the slopes." I imagine one would say Alpine if going there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Once again, I have never associated the two resorts as one. Probably never will. Can you imagine, "I'm going to Palisades Tahoe - see you on the slopes." I imagine one would say Alpine if going there.
Any destination resort with more than one base lodge with a completely separate parking area will have people who use the names for the different areas. At Alta, need to specify Wildcat or Albion to have any hope of meeting up with someone on the slopes.

I've been through trail name changes at Massanutten. The original names were . . . very Southern. Rebel Yell and Dixie Dare went away. When the resort started spending big money on new lifts and improving snowmaking around 2006, they decided to move forward with names like Showtime and MakAttack. As a timeshare resort drawing drawing heaving from Washington DC, newbies tended not to come from the South. Probably took a couple years before locals were using the new names.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And here it is but needs to be rotated

Attachments

• A28CAD4E-1AC9-4F69-BCF8-184D961A0938.jpeg
    A28CAD4E-1AC9-4F69-BCF8-184D961A0938.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member