• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My skiing is like a box of chocolate, I never know what I’m going to get

SeaCurlz

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve been skiing really good recently. Had a great day yesterday. Turns were on point and I found a comfortable speed. It was a good day! Today I can’t keep my right ski from going inward, and my legs are all over the place so when I was beyond frustrated I called it a day early. Today I felt like Bambi. Like I pulled a Benjamin Button with my ski level Anyone ever have off days? Regardless if my skiing sucked today it was still fun.

Jilly

Staff member
Oh yah, all the time. New Years Day....and I wasn't out late or drinking. My knees were killing me from the new snow we had the day before. Nothing felt right. I called it a day too after about 4 runs.

So, the right thing to do it call it. Like Scarlett - "tomorrow is another day!"

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have this with everything... not just skiing. Gymnastics, golf, piano, even academic/school stuff. Some days I'm just "off," and I can never really pinpoint what makes a bad day vs. good day vs. just average day.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two different warm-up run mottos. the first one goes something like "oh, hello snow hello body what are we looking at today? "The second one is more like, "remember to keep the First turns a little bit sloppy and shy of perfect, no point in trying to have the best runs of the day first thing out the gate, especially since I'm never racing!"

I definitely have days where everything seems off; the body and the snow and the gear chosen for the day. On those days I just remind myself not to ski to aggressively using more skidded turns and just slow everything down.

I still get a little disappointment when those days rear their ugly heads at me. Sort of like biting into some weird liquor filled overly sweet milk chocolate piece when what I really want is the one with nuts and caramel and yummy dark chocolate.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This seems to be something that women tend to deal with. I am not saying that men don't have this issue, but I know that women beat themselves up over bad days.

I have been struggling with this "good day" "bad day" thing for a long time. It robs me of sleep, confidence, and too much overthinking. I've never been able to pinpoint the trigger for the slumps; and I have questioned many other people about this issue. No good answers. However, I have wondered if even the slightest level of emotional/mental stress is at the root. Stresses that seem buried while out having a day on the slopes or other endeavor, may be at the core of the problem ? I Honestly do not know.

Last week I was in the "zone"...this week I am mediocre. All I really know is that the skills which enable me to be doing well are in there somewhere. And I try to remember that when the day is not so great. I hate being inconsistent. It's the sports arena where this occurs, the physical movements of a sport. Never in my job or daily activities of life!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@badger Could it be the physical manifestation of stress, aka body tension? Stiffness and flow/fluid movements are not compatible, unless it is intentional functional tension. While I am not much of a drinker, my dad would always imbibe in one extra drink the night before a golf tournament, he swore it made him less tense, and the swing kinda flowed on its own.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@badger I'm still not perfect at it, but actually my perfectionist, technique stickler of a male gymnastics coach has been the best thing that's ever happened to me as far as learning to accept that when you're off, you're just off. My general MO is to get frustrated that I'm having an off day, but my gymnastics coach... when I'm just not "on," is very "whatever" about it and it has gone a long ways towards me just accepting that some days are just "off" days and that's OK. His attitude is that an off day is just that, an off day and it's not a reflection of me or my ability or what he knows me to be. So when I'm off he's just like "well you're off today" and that's that.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
For women who are not in menopause - our cycles have a lot to do with our physical performance, too. I've first noticed that in myself over 15 years ago. Many of my "I can take on the world!" and "why do I even bother today..." days are fairly predictable. Not to say there aren't other reasons - as already mentioned, stress/tension is a very big one.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@badger I'm still not perfect at it, but actually my perfectionist, technique stickler of a male gymnastics coach has been the best thing that's ever happened to me as far as learning to accept that when you're off, you're just off. My general MO is to get frustrated that I'm having an off day, but my gymnastics coach... when I'm just not "on," is very "whatever" about it and it has gone a long ways towards me just accepting that some days are just "off" days and that's OK. His attitude is that an off day is just that, an off day and it's not a reflection of me or my ability or what he knows me to be. So when I'm off he's just like "well you're off today" and that's that.

So true. Yes, I am a pretty laid back individual reminding myself that these days just happen and not to stress over it. I will usually just enjoy the activity regardless of my lackluster efforts, because after all, we do these things for the joy the sport brings to us.

It's the playback reel that runs in my head at the end of the day is what I have trouble erasing.

AppleJacks207

Certified Ski Diva
For women who are not in menopause - our cycles have a lot to do with our physical performance, too. I've first noticed that in myself over 15 years ago. Many of my "I can take on the world!" and "why do I even bother today..." days are fairly predictable. Not to say there aren't other reasons - as already mentioned, stress/tension is a very big one.
Interesting! What points in your cycle correspond with "why do I even bother" days, if you don't mind me asking?

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
There's a very marked low right after ovulation, and then for about a week before my period, until the day the period shows up, when I again feel on top of the world.
When I was figure skating and working on footwork/dances requiring a lot of precision, I'd notice my power, balance and coordination all drop quite dramatically, to the point that I started scheduling my tests any time but the luteal phase :-) (and my then-coach was excellent in dealing with my lows, too).

I do deal with PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) however, so the hormonal effects on my body are likely way more exaggerated than for most women.

mustski

Angel Diva
I can have differences run to run some days. I can be on top of the world on one run and struggling on the next. For me, it’s definitely related to perception. If there is no one around, I can relax and let loose but, if the run is even semi crowded, I seem to stiffen up and my form disappears. Also different snow conditions affect my form and if fear rests its ugly head.....

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a very marked low right after ovulation, and then for about a week before my period, until the day the period shows up, when I again feel on top of the world.
When I was figure skating and working on footwork/dances requiring a lot of precision, I'd notice my power, balance and coordination all drop quite dramatically, to the point that I started scheduling my tests any time but the luteal phase :-) (and my then-coach was excellent in dealing with my lows, too).

I do deal with PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) however, so the hormonal effects on my body are likely way more exaggerated than for most women.

I have noticed this a whole lot more as I have aged, or maybe I'm just more tuned into my body than I was in my 20s. I also notice it a lot more when I climb, probably because I climb on a very regular schedule so the effects are more marked than with skiing which I do more irregularly. For example, I have a spike of low energy and extreme mood swings around ovulation (I have considered seeing a doctor about potential PMDD), then I will have a burst of energy just prior to menstruation (these are the days that I climb extremely well and feel really strong, usually the days when I send my projects tbh) and then I am just wiped the first few days of my cycle. I've discussed with my climbing partner who is also a personal trainer and she has mentioned that some women like to time their training for whatever sport with their cycles for this reason, and I have considered it but ultimately prefer to train more intuitively (ie if I feel like crap on a given day I just take it easy and don't push myself too much).

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
then I will have a burst of energy just prior to menstruation (these are the days that I climb extremely well and feel really strong, usually the days when I send my projects tbh) and then I am just wiped the first few days of my cycle.
I have that burst of energy about 24 hours before the flow - you'll find me suddenly cleaning the house :becky: and perhaps first couple hours of, and then I'm rolled up into the ball on the couch for the next few days.

I've discussed with my climbing partner who is also a personal trainer and she has mentioned that some women like to time their training for whatever sport with their cycles for this reason, and I have considered it but ultimately prefer to train more intuitively (ie if I feel like crap on a given day I just take it easy and don't push myself too much).
In the "low" days, I had to learn to let go of any expectations I normally place on myself - it was easier to do so when I finally made the connection with my cycles. Other "off" days I still tend to have that horrible tendency to beat myself up LOL.

SeaCurlz

Certified Ski Diva
I appreciate the support from this group so so much!!!! I really think I was fatigued from the prior two days of skiing, the runs were far more crowded and I tensed up more verses the other days when my entire body felt relaxed and I literally had that feeling of the wind in my hair This is only my second time on my new skis and they felt much different on fresh powder. Whatever the reason I’m glad I acknowledged I was just having an off day, called it a day before injuring myself, and enjoyed the rest of the day visiting with my friend when she was done skiing. I get more and more excited the more time I get on snow! Telluride in March!!!!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been skiing really good recently. Had a great day yesterday. Turns were on point and I found a comfortable speed. It was a good day! Today I can’t keep my right ski from going inward, and my legs are all over the place so when I was beyond frustrated I called it a day early. Today I felt like Bambi. Like I pulled a Benjamin Button with my ski level Anyone ever have off days? Regardless if my skiing sucked today it was still fun.

I love the three movie references applied to your skiing!! LOL

Telluride is fabulous.:becky:

Unfortunately I cannot claim the explanation for my mediocrity on menstrual cycles. I am too darn old. :frown:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was figure skating and working on footwork/dances requiring a lot of precision, I'd notice my power, balance and coordination all drop quite dramatically

This is very interesting. I never thought about our stinkin cycle interfering with our sports...the last two weekends I was on fire with my skiing.I was feeling amazing...today was definitely an off day. Just wasn't feeling it.Things weren't quite working, energy was low...
then I read this and checked my calendar...
yep just ovulated a few days ago...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna