• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My season has ended a few weeks early

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. The hard snow and our fragile bones make for a bad combo. Glad you got most of the season in, and see if you can get some EMDR therapy this year to help with the emotional trauma of the incident.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I am also thinking that I will be scared if/when I ski again. I have never been scared when coming back from any other injury. But this one was so much worse and there will be so many unknowns, questions, fears of reinjury.

I would like to hear how others have overcome that fear.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@RhodySkiBum I have had doctors at the competing practice a.k.a. Lifespan University Orthopedics. I am gradually moving to Ortho Rhode Island myself. Scott Allen has been looking at my messed up shoulder. I was referred to him by my rheumatologist, also in the practice, Brenda Burke. He was supposed to be looking at fingers which are completely arthritic on my right hand. But I sidetracked him to my messed up shoulder! I see him in a week or two and will point out what I was supposed to see him for initially! My next stop will be to move over to have my knees reviewed at Ortho Rhode Island. I am not displeased with University about my knees, I just get better warm and fuzzies from Ortho! I am glad to hear you have an established relationship. It makes all the difference. I hope you can get this all squared away and healing up.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@skibum4ever and @RhodySkiBum … I know people talk about acupuncture for healing (super great for restoring/promoting circulation/reducing inflammation, but also please consider acupuncture for the emotional side. Let your practitioner know about the emotional stuff. If you find a good one, they’ve got all kinds of tools.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@RhodySkiBum I don't want to hijack your thread but I think there are a number of us who can benefit from a discussion about returning to skiing after a significant injury. And there are certainly a lot of Divas who will have helpful advice. I will probably start a separate thread as we approach next winter.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And there are certainly a lot of Divas who will have helpful advice. I will probably start a separate thread as we approach next winter.
That's a good idea. Not sure you need to wait until the fall. My knee injury in 2012 happened in the early summer, having nothing to do with skiing. The rehab process and learning more about what would help for skiing started in July and was in high gear for me by September. Having an active thread during the summer was very helpful.

As has been mentioned in other injury threads, there are not only physical considerations but also mental considerations when deciding on the best approach to getting back to enjoying the slopes after a major injury.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Thanks @marzNC I follow a lot of ski sites and thus see a lot of ski videos. Right now I'm OK watching people making nice turns on smooth intermediate slopes. But add in steepness, moguls or rocks and I get a scared feeling and have to stop watching them.

This is upsetting because I have never felt this way before. When I returned to skiing after my tibia plateau fracture it seemed extremely natural. Right now my PT is going well with someone who has known me for years and understands my goals. That's physical therapy. But I feel like I will also need mental therapy.

I am also considering the purchase of a new pair of lighter narrower skis so I will be looking for advice on that as well. My narrowest skis are Nordica Nrgy at 90 underfoot. This is another topic that I will need help in getting my head around.

Maybe I will start those discussions sooner rather than later.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am also thinking that I will be scared if/when I ski again. I have never been scared when coming back from any other injury. But this one was so much worse and there will be so many unknowns, questions, fears of reinjury.

I would like to hear how others have overcome that fear.
This is exactly how I feel! You just put it into words better. I have had other injuries, broken finger, hand, but this is definitely the most serious injury I've ever had. And because I was going slow, cautious when it happened, I would also love to hear how others overcome the fear of getting back out skiing!
@RhodySkiBum I have had doctors at the competing practice a.k.a. Lifespan University Orthopedics. I am gradually moving to Ortho Rhode Island myself. Scott Allen has been looking at my messed up shoulder. I was referred to him by my rheumatologist, also in the practice, Brenda Burke. He was supposed to be looking at fingers which are completely arthritic on my right hand. But I sidetracked him to my messed up shoulder! I see him in a week or two and will point out what I was supposed to see him for initially! My next stop will be to move over to have my knees reviewed at Ortho Rhode Island. I am not displeased with University about my knees, I just get better warm and fuzzies from Ortho! I am glad to hear you have an established relationship. It makes all the difference. I hope you can get this all squared away and healing up.
My friend just saw Dr Machefe at OrthoRI for his knee, and surgery last fall. He was very pleased, and was back to work in 3 weeks! Good luck with all of that! I see Dr Walsh on Friday.
@RhodySkiBum I don't want to hijack your thread but I think there are a number of us who can benefit from a discussion about returning to skiing after a significant injury. And there are certainly a lot of Divas who will have helpful advice. I will probably start a separate thread as we approach next winter.
This is a great idea! Thanks!

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
@RhodySkiBum So sorry to read of your injury. Wishing you speedy and complete healing and recovery. I can understand how the circumstances of how it happened (blue run you were doing in safe and careful manner) could lead to extra mental doubts/uncertainty afterwards, I'm sure I would feel the same. All the best!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I think a separate thread would be great! I had my right ACL repaired two weeks ago. The rest of the knee was in great shape. Seeing all these amazing trip reports and snow has me excited for next season. But I also have my worries of course. How confident will I be? Will I be a nervous wreck, too cautious? Will I only keep to the mild greens afraid to trust my body and allt he rehab I will have done? Do I trust the skis I fell on? I've got a fantastic doctor and my PT knows my goals of getting onto skis again next season, as well as both road and trail running, hiking, backpacking, and cycling. She said I'll be seeing her for at least six months if I have those goals in mind. To hear what other Ski Divas have done to get back out there would be wonderful!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I think a separate thread would be great! I had my right ACL repaired two weeks ago. The rest of the knee was in great shape. Seeing all these amazing trip reports and snow has me excited for next season. But I also have my worries of course. How confident will I be? Will I be a nervous wreck, too cautious? Will I only keep to the mild greens afraid to trust my body and st he rehab I will have done? Do I trust the skis I fell on? I've got a fantastic doctor and my PT knows my goals of getting onto skis again next season, as well as both road and trail running, hiking, backpacking, and cycling. She said I'll be seeing her for at least six months if I have those goals in mind. To hear what other Ski Divas have done to get back out there would be wonderful!

I was just thinking about my PT. Right now it's scheduled only through the end of April. I think that at my next session I will request an extension through the end of May. I feel like I have a very long way to go. And I know that ultimately it will be up to me, but I don't quite feel that I know enough to continue on my own.

You just highlighted another concern - do I want to use the skis, and especially the bindings, that I was using when I fell? Definitely not the bindings as I have never liked them. But do I want to buy new skis this summer, without demoing, and without knowing what my ability will be next season? Or whether I will actually be able to ski at all...

Since it's almost the end of the season, I will start a new thread tonight.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I was just thinking about my PT. Right now it's scheduled only through the end of April. I think that at my next session I will request an extension through the end of May. I feel like I have a very long way to go. And I know that ultimately it will be up to me, but I don't quite feel that I know enough to continue on my own.

You just highlighted another concern - do I want to use the skis, and especially the bindings, that I was using when I fell? Definitely not the bindings as I have never liked them. But do I want to buy new skis this summer, without demoing, and without knowing what my ability will be next season? Or whether I will actually be able to ski at all...

Since it's almost the end of the season, I will start a new thread tonight.
I was told ACL recovery is average 9mo and then I'll need a functional brace for a few years. My PT said after a few months I'll just see her every week or so to get tested and receive updated PT exercises. Not sure how many sessions my insurance will cover yet.

I fell on skis I'd only been on three times and not very long each time (Liberty V82s). They have demo bindings and I've seriously thought about swapping to a non-demo version (Tyrolia Attack 12s) to reduce weight. I sometimes wonder had I been on my beloved Head Kores, which are lighter, if I would have been able to recover and not fall. Who knows. I was also out of shape and carrying 25lbs post baby weight which did not help I'm sure. Ugh.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just checking in to thank all you you for your well wishes and advice!

I am doing well - still working with OT and dynamic splinting to get the range of motion back in my elbow, but the fracture and incisions/scars have healed. Very slow progress for sure! Elbows are tough as there in not much subcutaneous tissue around the joint, and they tend to get very stiff.

And after all the trouble it caused, my knee seems to be ok. I feel it occasionally, but it is stable and I have been walking daily with no problems, so just a bad sprain!

Not back to work yet, but hopefully in a week or two - thanks again - this is such a great group!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly