• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My not-very-extensive-or-thorough ski reviews from the Industry Demo Days

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I keep seeing Black Crows in ski shops and REI out west. Definitely curious since so many Divas like them so much.
And I brought mine to Taos both times I think ! They do have a longer TR as instructor suggested I get something a tiny narrower with a shorter TR...
Santa Ana 93 in a 161 was a blast.

shadoj

Angel Diva
And I brought mine to Taos both times I think ! They do have a longer TR as instructor suggested I get something a tiny narrower with a shorter TR...
Santa Ana 93 in a 161 was a blast.
I was very excited about trying these skis because I'd heard so much about them. Let me say I was not wowed. Maybe it was the conditions in which I tried them -- chopped up snow with some icy, wind-blown patches -- but I felt like they were all over the place. Maybe they do better in actual powder? I actually liked the Vertis better than the Birdie, but on the whole, I was pretty disappointed.
I think the turn radius is the answer. The Vertis is ~14-15m (much more typical of an "average" all-mountain East coast ski), where as the Camox is ~20m. I don't know if there are even any runs that wide at my local hill ;)

MissySki

Angel Diva
@ski diva you liked the old Camox Birdies though right? I think I remember you on them a bit in Aspen when your skis were lost. But maybe I’m mistaken..

Curious because I have the same version that I think you were on, but haven't tried the newer ones so unsure how they've changed.

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^ @MissySki I found the following regarding the Camox Birdie:
"The 2020 model has brought two intermediate lengths so skiers can better dial in the correct ski length for their particular style of riding. The sidecut has also changed with the 2020 Camox Birdies. Now the shape of the ski remains more constant with the scaling per ski lengths. So the ski should ski similarly, be it a 156 cm or 174 cm length. Lastly, the softened the flex pattern so create a more playful, bouncy style of skiing.

The Camox Birdie comes with a poplar wood core to create it's light and nimble character. A semi-cap construction with step-down sidewall is an advanced construction technique that the Birdie Series all uses which makes for a durable, long-lasting ski. The Camox in particular has a softer flex pattern with double rocker to make the ski more maneuverable and pivot-friendly. This shape makes the ski agile in mixed terrain, like in the trees or in variable snow."

"The latest update was made for the 19/20 season, with the ski getting slightly less tapered at the tip and tail and reportedly coming with a slightly softer flex pattern. Those changes carried forward for the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons, just with a graphic update."

@santacruz skier and I have the 16/17 version which has semi-cap construction, poplar wood core and carbon kevlar stripes according to BC. For that generation, it was the only ski with the carbon kevlar - other models like the Atris and Captis did not. The current version (2022) of the Camox/Birdie does not have metal.

If you want more info on current models check this video out .... also there is no difference between the birdie models and the unisex other than top sheet and smaller sizes.

Last edited:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMHO based on demoing the 2020 versions of the Santa Anna 88 vs the BC Captis Birdie -
If you like one, you will probably not like the other.... just saying.
That's so true, dang. Though I haven't been on the 2020 santa ana skis - but I looove the 2021 santa ana 88, meanwhile i seriously dislike the captis birdie! I've demoed the captis birdie on two different days and i always dislike it!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I’ve been exclusively on my Elan Ripsticks since we finally got snow! I have the 88s. Love them!
88's for the win. I demo'd the 94's (88's weren't out yet), loved them but wanted a bit more versatility for New England snow. Got it. Love 'em.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^ @MissySki I found the following regarding the Camox Birdie:
"The 2020 model has brought two intermediate lengths so skiers can better dial in the correct ski length for their particular style of riding. The sidecut has also changed with the 2020 Camox Birdies. Now the shape of the ski remains more constant with the scaling per ski lengths. So the ski should ski similarly, be it a 156 cm or 174 cm length. Lastly, the softened the flex pattern so create a more playful, bouncy style of skiing.

The Camox Birdie comes with a poplar wood core to create it's light and nimble character. A semi-cap construction with step-down sidewall is an advanced construction technique that the Birdie Series all uses which makes for a durable, long-lasting ski. The Camox in particular has a softer flex pattern with double rocker to make the ski more maneuverable and pivot-friendly. This shape makes the ski agile in mixed terrain, like in the trees or in variable snow."

"The latest update was made for the 19/20 season, with the ski getting slightly less tapered at the tip and tail and reportedly coming with a slightly softer flex pattern. Those changes carried forward for the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons, just with a graphic update."

@santacruz skier and I have the 16/17 version which has semi-cap construction, poplar wood core and carbon kevlar stripes according to BC. For that generation, it was the only ski with the carbon kevlar - other models like the Atris and Captis did not. The current version (2022) of the Camox/Birdie does not have metal.

If you want more info on current models check this video out .... also there is no difference between the birdie models and the unisex other than top sheet and smaller sizes.
I demo’d three very different 2022 skis as part of my search for a wider ride. Black Pearl 97, Kastle FX96 and the Camox Birdie 97. The BP was pretty terrific and has a flatter tail with a longer effective edge, but I already have that attribute in my Stormrider 85 so I took it off the list. The Kastle FX is one of my favorite demo skis, but like the old Volkl Kenja (90), I had to walk away when so many seasons went by and no new lengths were introduced. I had a huge issue committing, so back to the wall they went. The Black Crows Camox Birdie was an absolute sleeper ski for me. It’s been on my radar, but wasn’t sure if my usual resort locations had them to demo. Paradise found last month! Could not get enough of this ski! I only have 2 days on them. They’re in Montana getting bindings mounted and I’ll pick them up in a few weeks. I smile just thinking about them! Ha!

rbkvail

Certified Ski Diva
No. I got the 162 which is perfect for me at 5’4.
I have 162 as well and I am 5'5. I LOVE them too. Got them last year and everytime I ski them I am in love. Great for the bumps and trees. They just pivot really well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna