• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My not-very-extensive-or-thorough ski reviews from the Industry Demo Days

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
For the past two days I've been at the industry demo days at Pico here in Vermont, and it's been a blast! The demo days take place every year, and it gives people in the ski industry the opportunity to try next year's gear. I'm very lucky that I get to go, and believe me, I'm like a kid in a candy shop. It is SO. MUCH. FUN. Also a bit overwhelming. There are so many skis, and so little time to try them all out.

I know those of you who know I was there are looking for reviews. Which is a bit of a problem; I'm honestly not the best ski reviewer out there. I know a lot of people are very good at breaking down all the little details about a ski and commenting about them. Unfortunately, that's not me. I know if I like it and if I don't, and that's pretty much it.

Also worth pointing out: getting skis in appropriate lengths at these things is a bit of a problem. Most of the skis are available only in lengths that are way to long for me, since the attendees are predominantly men. And when you're my size (5'1"), skiing a 168 doesn't really give you a clear picture of a ski's performance. A few were available in 162 -- and in some skis (those without rocker), even that's too long.

So here's a list of the skis I tried. I don't think any of them are new for next year, except for the Nordica Unleashed, which is a Freeride ski. (That was one of the skis I tried in a 168, and really, it skied me; I didn't ski it).

Line Blade
Blizzard Sheeva 10
Fischer RC One
K2 Mindbender 86
Armada Reliance
Nordica Unleashed (this is a new Freeride ski)
Nordica Santa Ana 93
Elan RipSticks 96
Black Crows Camox Birdie
Black Crows Vertis Birdie
Salomon Stance
Rossignol Experience 86

For me, the clear winners were the Nordica Santa Ana, the Blizzard Sheeva 10's (wanted to try the 9's, but they weren't there), and the Elan Ripstick 96's. I could take any one of these home and be very happy (full disclosure: I already own the Santa Ana's, but mine are a few years old and have two sheets of metal; the ones I tried had one).

Next best skis: Line Blade, Salomon Stance, Rossi Experience.

Incidentally, if you like to turn, the Line Blade is like being on a carousel. You just have to THINK about turning, and these take you for a ride. They are really fun.

I'm not sure how helpful this is for everyone, so if you have a question about any of these, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Curious what the conditions were like? I demoed the Sheeva 10 in a 156 or 157 in Tahoe after a huge dump and had a blast..... think they are 102 underfoot. BTW, I've never ever taken notes on any ski I've demoed.....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Curious what the conditions were like? I demoed the Sheeva 10 in a 156 or 157 in Tahoe after a huge dump and had a blast..... think they are 102 underfoot. BTW, I've never ever taken notes on any ski I've demoed.....

Good question!

We had a foot of snow on Monday, and since Pico isn't open on Tuesday, we had untracked powder on Wednesday morning -- which, incidentally, is when I tried the Sheeva's. As you can imagine, this degenerated as the day went on. On Wednesday, most of the trails were groomed out, though a few were left ungroomed. For the most part, though, nice packed powder, though it got icy at the summit where the wind had blown it off. So a mixed bag.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Good question!

We had a foot of snow on Monday, and since Pico isn't open on Tuesday, we had untracked powder on Wednesday morning -- which, incidentally, is when I tried the Sheeva's. As you can imagine, this degenerated as the day went on. On Wednesday, most of the trails were groomed out, though a few were left ungroomed. For the most part, though, nice packed powder, though it got icy at the summit where the wind had blown it off. So a mixed bag.
Okay sounds fun. As you know, that's what happens in Tahoe. We get a huge dump and the untracked gets tracked up pretty quickly, and then you're skiing tracked up heavy snow. And, the Sheeva 10's were still fun. Think I demoed (think) when you were in Tahoe on the way to Diva West at Mammoth. Remember all that snow?

MissySki

Angel Diva
How did you like the new Santa Ana in comparison to the version you own? Did you find a positive or negative difference either way?

I’m surprised the Sheeva 9 wasn’t there! I’m very curious if there will be any changes to it next year. Since it’s been unchanged for awhile now. I’m always keeping my ears open about that to know if/when i need to procure a backup pair to stick in my closet. Lol. I love mine and ski it so much it’s bound to need a replacement eventually!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How did you like the new Santa Ana in comparison to the version you own? Did you find a positive or negative difference either way?
They're a bit lighter, which isn't a bad thing. But to me, it didn't make a huge difference. I think they ski pretty much the same.

I’m surprised the Sheeva 9 wasn’t there! I’m very curious if there will be any changes to it next year. Since it’s been unchanged for awhile now. I’m always keeping my ears open about that to know if/when i need to procure a backup pair to stick in my closet. Lol. I love mine and ski it so much it’s bound to need a replacement eventually

Supply was definitely an issue. I heard a lot about that from the reps. They just didn't have all the skis they wanted there. I kept getting asked, "Will you be at Waterville?", which is another set of Demo Days taking place in a couple weeks. Apparently they're hoping to have more skis there.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Also worth pointing out: getting skis in appropriate lengths at these things is a bit of a problem. Most of the skis are available only in lengths that are way to long for me, since the attendees are predominantly men. And when you're my size (5'1"), skiing a 168 doesn't really give you a clear picture of a ski's performance. A few were available in 162 -- and in some skis (those without rocker), even that's too long.
Yes, that's what I've found when I've tried to demo -- it ain't easy being green, er, 5 ft tall, at least when it comes to demos.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes, that's what I've found when I've tried to demo -- it ain't easy being green, er, 5 ft tall, at least when it comes to demos.
I've had terrible luck at demo days. Rarely do that. If I want to demo, I go into a shop and pick the ski I want and bite the bullet and demo it!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Whic is exzactly what I did when I went to Taos in Jan, but even then, I found the selctions very limited. Obvioulsy, this is not a "normal" year, but still, they need to realize that small people/women ski, and need to demo skis. I'm sure you've run into the same problem buying clothes/shoes. UGH!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Whic is exzactly what I did when I went to Taos in Jan, but even then, I found the selctions very limited. Obvioulsy, this is not a "normal" year, but still, they need to realize that small people/women ski, and need to demo skis. I'm sure you've run into the same problem buying clothes/shoes. UGH!
Oh yeah.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What was your impression of the Black Crows? Or were they so long it was too hard to tell?
I was wondering the same thing. I have the older stiffer camox birdie 2017 or 2018 in a 156 and had a blast in the fresh snow in Tahoe a couple weeks ago. We're about the same size I think.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I’m surprised the Sheeva 9 wasn’t there! I’m very curious if there will be any changes to it next year. Since it’s been unchanged for awhile now. I’m always keeping my ears open about that to know if/when i need to procure a backup pair to stick in my closet. Lol. I love mine and ski it so much it’s bound to need a replacement eventually!
From what I've been told the only difference is the topsheet, we get our new seasons ski's ahead of you so we're talking about the 2023 version. I'm not sure why we get them first ???

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What was your impression of the Black Crows? Or were they so long it was too hard to tell?

I was very excited about trying these skis because I'd heard so much about them. Let me say I was not wowed. Maybe it was the conditions in which I tried them -- chopped up snow with some icy, wind-blown patches -- but I felt like they were all over the place. Maybe they do better in actual powder? I actually liked the Vertis better than the Birdie, but on the whole, I was pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've been told the only difference is the topsheet, we get our new seasons ski's ahead of you so we're talking about the 2023 version. I'm not sure why we get them first ???

Yes, no structural changes to the Santa Ana's.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was very excited about trying these skis because I'd heard so much about them. Let me say I was not wowed. Maybe it was the conditions in which I tried them -- chopped up snow with some icy, wind-blown patches -- but I felt like they were all over the place. Maybe they do better in actual powder? I actually liked the Vertis better than the Birdie, but on the whole, I was pretty disappointed.
What length did they have for you to try?

I had a chance for a short demo of the Camox Birdie, 97mm, 156cm at JH last season. Only a couple of short runs on a groomer near the JH demo tent. My notes just say "fun."

At Alta I did a personal demo day and did had the Atris Birdie, 108, 160cm. For those I thought they were easy in powder, “pivoty” on bumps, but needed to work to turn on groomers. I remember them being heavy on the lift since there aren't any footrests at Alta.

I keep seeing Black Crows in ski shops and REI out west. Definitely curious since so many Divas like them so much.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man, I need to get my Blades mounted so I can ski them! I've just been so stinkin' busy that skiing has taken a backseat to...moving and work! Lame.

The Sheeva is just a fun, fun ski. I kind of fall between sizes on them which is why I no longer own them. I miss them and kind of want to pick up another pair in a 172. We just haven't had enough snow this year to even justify that.

I don't know how you can get out on 12 pair of skis in one day--impressive! One lap on a ski here takes about 25+ minutes plus the time to swap out, which doesn't always go quickly if there are lines at the tents. There might be a bit of socializing that slows things down, too :becky:

Do you have more feedback on the Rossi Experience 86? Was it the ti version? That's one ski I really want to get on. (Can't remember if that one comes in a ti version, or just the 82.)

OK, back to packing I go!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMHO based on demoing the 2020 versions of the Santa Anna 88 vs the BC Captis Birdie -
If you like one, you will probably not like the other.... just saying.

Im surprised they didn't have the Divus Birdie which is a new ski.....similar to Orb but narrower
Also the Camox has a much larger turn radius than most of the other skis demoed.....

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, I need to get my Blades mounted so I can ski them! I've just been so stinkin' busy that skiing has taken a backseat to...moving and work! Lame.

The Sheeva is just a fun, fun ski. I kind of fall between sizes on them which is why I no longer own them. I miss them and kind of want to pick up another pair in a 172. We just haven't had enough snow this year to even justify that.

I don't know how you can get out on 12 pair of skis in one day--impressive! One lap on a ski here takes about 25+ minutes plus the time to swap out, which doesn't always go quickly if there are lines at the tents. There might be a bit of socializing that slows things down, too :becky:

Do you have more feedback on the Rossi Experience 86? Was it the ti version? That's one ski I really want to get on. (Can't remember if that one comes in a ti version, or just the 82.)

OK, back to packing I go!

It was two days.

And the Rossi was not the ti version.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna