• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My newest diversion: slacklining

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I just recently moved into our new house, and we have discovered that there are some very strategically placed trees in the large backyard with a bunch of currently unused space in a back corner. So, we decided to put it to good use!

IMG_0945.jpg

Slacklining is so much fun, it's something we have monkeyed around with before but most of the lines set up at climber campgrounds are too high to learn on without hurting yourself. So, we set up a nice low one using the Gibbon Classic slackline kit (we wanted to use the kit versus a homemade rig so it had a ratchet and we could take it down and up quickly as needed). It has a wider line too which makes it easier to learn on.

IMG_0943.jpg

I've managed to make it all the way across once and we're already inventing fun games like slackline chicken (two people start on either side of the line and the last one standing wins). It is a ton of fun and an awesome workout for the core, maybe my new home conditioning system? :becky:

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome! I've always want to try it...which should be quite entertaining for those watching! :ROTF:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have seen people at the beach doing this. Didn't know that's what it's called. Looks really hard. I've been playing with wobble boards/bongo boards & that's fun too.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were just talking about getting one of these over the weekend. They are super fun.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kimmy, we really need to get together one of these days. I propose sometime after next week you, RachelV and I make it happen.

I can only imagine what a good core and stabilization workout that is. Fantastic prep for ski season!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, totally! I am travelling back to PA for a wedding next week but after that I will shoot you guys a PM (and any other front range CO divas that might be interested) and maybe we can have beers and slacklining.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Robyn, totally! I am travelling back to PA for a wedding next week but after that I will shoot you guys a PM (and any other front range CO divas that might be interested) and maybe we can have beers and slacklining.

Yes! Been meaning to give it a try for a while now but every time I've found myself near a slackline I've already had too many beers and thought better of it. ;)

altagirl

Staff member
That looks really fun. I'd love to try it but our trees aren't really situated for it in our yard.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AG, I think you can also do this with some poured concrete footings to attach the line to. There also may be some commercial rigs available that prop up somehow with a tripod, but thats a lot of investment for just wanting to try one. If you're ever in this area give me a holler and you can come over and give it a shot!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks really fun. I'd love to try it but our trees aren't really situated for it in our yard.

Gibbon also has a freestanding system too, that is what we were looking for. I have seen it at OR and that ski shop in Park City with the lawn furniture, you know that one...can't think of the name but it is possible without trees.

slong89

Certified Ski Diva
Slackbow

There's a freestanding system I've seen called Slackbow (slackbow.com), but I've never used it. It almost looks like those freestanding hammock setups, but obviously a ton longer.

I have the Gibbon classic set up in my front yard at school at it is so much fun! I get a lot of funny looks from joggers etc. but every once in a while it'll start a great conversation!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I got the Gibbon sets for my nieces and nephews for the holiday (one family celebrates Christmas and the other Hanukkah). I love giving gifts that are good for them to use as a family. As soon as I learn how they were received, I'll post a report. I've tried slack lining and it is a blast. Great for balance development and for learning jumps and spins.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm fascinated by how you used it as a tool for learning jumps and spins? Do tell! I can use all the help I can get in that area...

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Thank god I have no pictures of me trying to jump, but you can sort of treat the slackline like a trampoline and jump up and land and jump up and do a 180. The www.gibbonslackline.com website has great video and I've seen people treat the slackline as a rail, hoping onto it with boards or skis and jibbing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna