• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My latest wishy-washy demoing saga, it's coming to an end!!

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, my Auras are gone. I was incredibly unhappy with the way the topsheets were holding up, and sent them back. They were great sticks, don't get me wrong. But after skiing them for a season, I have a better idea of where I like to end up on the mountain, and what I need/want in a ski, which the Aura didn't fit anymore.

In the last couple of weeks, Bachelor has been getting FABULOUS dumps, and super spring sunshine days. We've seen every condition in the book, in the last month, and I've been looking for a better pair of boards that might work for it all. I've been on the K2 Obsethed, Rossignol S7 and S6 while skiing with a friend who's on the Rossi team, which has created a bias towards Rossignol... I'd never been on a pair, until recently, and I'm rather blown away. They're making rad skis. I'm about to have my own pair of 2010 Rossignol S6s, and I'm putting myself through a week+ of skiing my tiny foam-core park sticks to do it.

Sooo, the Obsethed is not my cup of tea. I felt like I should have liked it, because of the glowing review that skigrl27 gave it, but nooope. Not a fan, unless it's on soft corduroy.:rolleyes: These were the first pair in my demoing streak, and I'm glad they were, because I knew exactly what I didn't want next.

It's a super stable ski, absorbs the irregularities in the surface making for a smoother ride, but they're too soft. I was on a little bit of icy hardpack, and I did NOT like them then. Didn't 'bite' at all, just seemed to skid around. Blegh. I believe I described them as skiing on a noodly wet piece of wood.

Next, I jumped on the Rossignol S7 176, 146/115/123. and took them up into the hike accessed summit bowl, and dropped a small cornice, and let the monsters run. Wow. Rocker. Wow. The S7 is a funky looking ski. They still have traditional camber underfoot, so groomers don't suck, but when you're in pow, tip dive doesn't exist. I was ripping huge turns down a couple feet of fresh like it was nothing. They took some getting used to, super wide stance, and traverses were a little wierd, because of the rocker, but for powder days, these babies are rad.

FWIW, Roxy is making an S7 next year with their graphics, and Rossignol is making a womens BC pro 110, which is essentially another S7, but slightly smaller. I'll be getting a pair if I can afford them. I can't speak much to the basic carving ability of these, but skiing powder on them seriously made me smile.

Now, the S6. :eyebrows: This ski has me giggly every time I get on them. They are HUGE too. Biggest ski I've ever been on (I don't count the S7, because of the rocker). 174, 140/110/134. Bam. Apparently the waist is more like 112, they were just rounding? Whatever. Huge when compared to what I've been skiing. I'm skiing them at the furthest back mounting point too, traditional men's whatever. Wee! No over-the-handlebars-ing, no speed wobbles, they turn on a dime, and slice through everything. The bumps are even fun on these. Super poppy lively skis, but soft enough that they don't make my joints hurt the way the Auras were.

Wow, I just wrote a freakin' novel. Feel free to ask questions, I have a hard time getting all the info about skis into one post, ADD doesn't help. :yahoo:

mollmeister

Angel Diva
So, my Auras are gone. I was incredibly unhappy with the way the topsheets were holding up, and sent them back.

So I am not the only one who feels this way about the topsheets? Those black topsheets have gotten beat up hella fast. Granted, they've been skied over by a 5yo one too many times, but still. I am not liking the durability factor. Only thing I don't like about them so far, but irksome.

Now, the S6. :eyebrows: This ski has me giggly every time I get on them. They are HUGE too. Biggest ski I've ever been on (I don't count the S7, because of the rocker). 174, 140/110/134. Bam. Apparently the waist is more like 112, they were just rounding? Whatever. Huge when compared to what I've been skiing. I'm skiing them at the furthest back mounting point too, traditional men's whatever. Wee! No over-the-handlebars-ing, no speed wobbles, they turn on a dime, and slice through everything. The bumps are even fun on these. Super poppy lively skis, but soft enough that they don't make my joints hurt the way the Auras were.

Those sound like a whole lot of fun! HUGE, but fun! :D Too bad I am probably too wee to make 'em work for me! (Isn't 174cm the shortest available length?)

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep on the topsheets. I'm pretty angry at Volkl lately. Gal friend who just got back from 2010 demo weekend said that their new stuff is BLAH, and she can totally tell that K2 is changing the skis, not for good. Sigh. Seriously, a friend's Ninthward skis (they don't hold up...) from two years ago look similar to my Auras, and he skis park all the time.

And yep, 174 is the smallest, which normally I would freak about, but I got on them anyways. How tall are you?

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Yep on the topsheets. I'm pretty angry at Volkl lately. Gal friend who just got back from 2010 demo weekend said that their new stuff is BLAH, and she can totally tell that K2 is changing the skis, not for good. Sigh. Seriously, a friend's Ninthward skis (they don't hold up...) from two years ago look similar to my Auras, and he skis park all the time.

And yep, 174 is the smallest, which normally I would freak about, but I got on them anyways. How tall are you?

Well, I AM reassured that it's not just me beating up the topsheets. I had heard a few grumbles from people about durability recently on Goats and Mantras and Auras, but not too many. I wonder what they're doing wrong? I'm pretty nice to my skis, but the top sheets look older than they should already. And I am a worrier re: delam. More than I should be.

Re: 174cm, I am barely 5'2" and 110lbs to 115lbs. I think that S6 is just going to be too much for me. :( And I am not sure I need so specialized a ski anyway. I am just a sucker for descriptions of skis that float like h*ll in the powder and can still rip back down the groomed on the way home. :eyebrows:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, probably too much ski for you, unless you're at Ingrid Backstrom status. :(

But, anyone who has the chance, jump on a pair!! They=love. I almost think they are more versatile than the Auras. Twintip, huge, carves awesome, powers through everything and floats like a dream. But they are beefy, definitely not a women's ski.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Cool! I've read some incredible reviews of the S7 and S6 elsewhere. The Auras ARE a ski that works you....I had to stay off of them when I had my ACL injury, because they much more feedback than my knee could handle.

It's nice to know there's snow somewhere....our season here is over....but paddling season is beginning.:becky:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Next year, yes. I mentioned it above. Roxy is making an S7, and Rossignol is making a Womens BC Pro 110. Both are rockered womens skis. Hell yeah.

GimpyGal

Certified Ski Diva
Great!! Didn't catch in the above posts that they will be available in shorter lengths. Going to bookmark their websites right now. Thanks! Tracy

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure about the future of the Roxy Mumbo Jumbo (Rossi S7) since Quicksilver just sold off the Rossignol Group this fall. It might end up being a Rossi women's ski or something, unless Roxy is licensing the design. I'll guess we'll see. I just hope they offer it in longer than a 175 or whatever they released this season.

Good to hear another review on the S7. The graphics for next year's look way more money than this year's. I am SO TORN on what to get next year....there are so many rad powder skis. Sigh.

mtnbikegirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I AM reassured that it's not just me beating up the topsheets. I had heard a few grumbles from people about durability recently on Goats and Mantras and Auras, but not too many. I wonder what they're doing wrong? I'm pretty nice to my skis, but the top sheets look older than they should already. And I am a worrier re: delam. More than I should be.

Re: 174cm, I am barely 5'2" and 110lbs to 115lbs. I think that S6 is just going to be too much for me. :( And I am not sure I need so specialized a ski anyway. I am just a sucker for descriptions of skis that float like h*ll in the powder and can still rip back down the groomed on the way home. :eyebrows:

You're about my size. I like the K2 Misbehaved for powder, chopped powder and groomer with fresh snow. They are definately flexier than the Auras.

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know this thread is old, but, orage, I'd be interested to know if you are teaching again this year, and if so, what you plan to be teaching on?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure yet. I'll be doing some, most likely. I'll be teaching on the S6s, unless I am able to grab some smaller skis for park.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Still looking for a review of the Nordica Nemesis. A friend of mine who skis mainly at Mammoth just bought a pair, without having demoed them, but it will be a while before she skis them.

From the reviews these could be my next pair of skis so along with the Auras I have 2 fattish skis. :loco:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna