• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My helmet is eating my hair!!

riversnow

Diva in Training
Hi all, I have been reading the Ski Diva blog and forum for a few years, but only recently joined. I have a question that's somewhat off-topic, but I hope is still appropriate.
Over the last couple of months, I've noticed that the top layer of my fine, shoulder length hair has been breaking off in chunks at the base of my head, like someone cut ragged, chunky layers. I could not figure out how this was happening.
After a particularly bad day of helmet hair yesterday, I think I figured out the cause. I believe the adjustable liner inside my helmet is causing my hair to break off. I did loosen it and hope this helps. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas on how to prevent it?
I was even wearing an over the head Gaiter yesterday and my hair still broke.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yikes, that sounds painful! I have never had this happen myself.. do you wear anything under your helmet? I often wear a thin tubular neckwarmer style pice on my head under the helmet as a liner. Lerhaps having something in between your hair and the helmet would help?

Jersey Ski Girl

Certified Ski Diva
I never thought about it before but I noticed that I am having the same issue with my hair and I wonder if the helmet is the cause....:noidea:

Jilly

Staff member
Are you wearing your hair in a low ponytail? Or at least I'm assuming both of you have long hair.

riversnow

Diva in Training
Yikes, that sounds painful! I have never had this happen myself.. do you wear anything under your helmet? I often wear a thin tubular neckwarmer style pice on my head under the helmet as a liner. Lerhaps having something in between your hair and the helmet would help?
What an excellent idea! Just tried it and it holds my hair back nicely! Keeps my hair from falling forward and moving around under the helmet. Hopefully it will help stop the breakage as well. Will definitely try it next time I ski! Thanks!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I wear a balaclava under my helmet to hold my hair out of my face. Might help this situation.

riversnow

Diva in Training
I wonder if there's a product you could put on your hair that would reduce friction and breakage. That would be a good question for hairdresser.
Another great idea! I do have a product that reduces friction (skinny smooth something) but I don't use it often (makes my hair look greasy). I will give that a try too. Never would have thought of that! Thanks!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Any available leave-in conditioner (I like Neutrogena) might be helpful? No harm in trying?

MissySki

Angel Diva
What an excellent idea! Just tried it and it holds my hair back nicely! Keeps my hair from falling forward and moving around under the helmet. Hopefully it will help stop the breakage as well. Will definitely try it next time I ski! Thanks!

Sorry about all of the typos in my post yesterday, I read back and apparently was in too much of a hurry on my phone! :doh:

I like to also pull my hair into a low ponytail or braid under the liner as well, just because it’s long and tends to still find its way into my face, and everywhere else, if I don’t.

riversnow

Diva in Training

newboots

Angel Diva
Sorry about all of the typos in my post yesterday, I read back and apparently was in too much of a hurry on my phone! :doh:

Ahh, the phones mess things up a LOT. I had a passing thought wondering if you had been drinking!

I have had my difficulties with texting while drinking...

:beer:

mustski

Angel Diva
I had a problem with hair breakage at one time when I had a lot of hair damage. I should mention that I come from a youth where punk rock was the rage and so my hair was chopped with razor blades, bleached, dyed, pulled, pushed, and tortured for a number of years. At one point, I had an actual bald spot and had to wear wigs. In my case the hair follicle was the key. Once, I got the follicles healthy again, I didn't have any more breakage. I still torture it with color though. If your hair is feeling damaged - try switching shampoos to one that is super gentle on the hair follicle. Nioxin shampoo makes a variety of formulas - not all of them are for thinning hair. I have used one for normal hair- that is chemically treated- for many years now and have had very good results. There are a lot of pollutants in the air that get into the hair follicle; an unhealthy hair follicle produces weakened hair.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always pull my merino wool buff over my hair before donning the helmet. It keeps me warm in winter, holds my hair relatively in place, and absorbs sweat on warmer days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly