• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My demo day or a lesson about what you want what you really really want

Ski Around Sue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am putting this in the “gear review” section but please know that it is barely a review but rather my impressions of a few skis I tried the other day. I had wanted to be thoughtful and address different issues with the skis but it was all I could do to ski them.

I had been looking for some skis that were more suitable than the full camber carvers I have for Spring skiing and also skiing in a little fresh and chopped up snow.

A bit about me: I think of myself as an advanced intermediate, although I might want to ratchet that down a bit after yesterday. Almost 5'6". 195 ish on a bad day (which are most of them). Skied in my late teens/early 20s then not for many years until around 2011. East coast exclusively. Pennsylvania, not Vermont or New Hampshire. Small mountains.

So to find new skis, I did research online and I reached out on this board and received very helpful information. I compiled a list of skis that I wanted to try. I was surprised to find a place at a Pocono ski mountain that did demos and had a number of the ones that I wanted to try. The demos were not free - it was 3 for $60. If you bought skis within 7 days, they would credit you the $60.

I went in thinking I knew what I wanted. But instead, I learned a valuable lesson - that sometimes what you think you want is not what you want at all.

By the way, the ski shop was impressed that I did my homework and came in with a printout of their available skis with my notes and what I wanted, but I was second to the gentleman who came before me with a BINDER! No lie. I saw him later in the afternoon (with said binder - color coded and all!) He was serious about his ski search.

The day was cold in early morning but warming up late morning and afternoon. Perfect conditions to find my “do it all” ski.

It turned out that they didn’t have the ski I was most interested in - the Rossignol Experience 88 Ti - in the women’s - i.e. a length that I could reasonably ski. So, my first ski of the day was the Volkl Secret in the 163. I was excited to try this ski as is sounded like something I would like. I had read another review of this ski that said it was loud and boy was it! I noticed it making my way to the lift. The sound was off putting. But not as much as the ski.

Ok. Well, I’m not sure what I was thinking with a 92 waist ski. So different from my 76mm carvers. I had a bit of a time getting them on edge and after making my way only about 1/3 of the way down the (about 3/4 mile long) run, my ankles were KILLING me! This was my 3rd day of skiing in the last week, and I usually only do 1 or 2 at most but I don’t recall having sore ankles ever. My right ankle was especially pained. My left turn is my weakest so maybe this had been an ankle issue all along. I have twisted the right one badly on numerous occasions. Anyhow I couldn’t wait to trade this ski in for the next. The skis were plankish to me. I needed to be a much better skier to ski these skis. Back they went after one run.

My original list (when I thought I knew what I wanted) had the Nordica Santa Ana 93 next. Well, forget that. 93 was now out. So I went to third one on my list, the Elan Ripstick 86 in the 158,the narrowest ski on my list. Better than the Secret for me. More maneuverable. But I still felt like I was still a novice skier on them. I did 3 or 4 runs on these to give them a chance. In between one of them, I also skied my own skis down the same run to see how it compared. I liked my current skis better.

After the Secret and the Ripstick, I decided that I needed to go rogue. My list was out the window. The rep suggested I try the Nordica Astral either in the 84 or 78. Per the reviews, it has a tip like the Santa Ana but in a much narrower package. I choose the 78 in the 158. To heck with the wide ski!

The first run down on the Nordica Astral 78 and I finally felt like I knew how to ski. These skis were turny (is that a word?) and much more fun to ski than m previous two choices. Playful - is that the word? The Astral had a good bit of rocker in the tip and some in the tail. They handled the softening snow well and I had no fear skiing into the deeper sides of the runs. This has always been an issue with my current skis. Now I know these are no powder skis. I’m sure they aren’t great in the trees but you will never find me there (I would end up wrapped around one!)

Despite the warming, there was still a very little bit of skied off areas that were icy - nothing bad, just noticeable in a few locations. The Astral’s were not as good as my Rossignol Attraxion 8's in hold on ice. I’m guessing the rocker had something to do with this? Less effective edge?

But after riding the Astrals the rest of the day I was sold. They were fun to ski - light and playful. They handled the snow that I needed them to handle but still allowed me to make some fun turns without angering my ankles. But what if I was missing something? I went back into the shop to see if there were any other options. The only demo available that I really wanted to try was the Salomon Aria 80 Ti. The shop was kind enough to throw in a 4th demo at this point. I was really fatigued by then but wanted to try them. As soon as I got off the lift, I knew that I didn’t care for them. They were definitely more damp (if I’m using this term correctly) then the Nordicas. But also harder to turn and the edges almost caught up in the snow a few times which hadn’t happened all day on any of the skis I tried. Now I was really done. I brought the Salomons back after one run. I was tired.

[Very] Long story short, everything in the shop was 30% off. That, coupled with the credit for the $60 demo fee and the Nordica Astral 78s plus bindings were going to be about $330 plus tax. So, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! I bought them. I just couldn’t beat that price.

On the really cold days I’ll probably stick with my current ski but on the warmer ones, or days with fresh or chopped up snow, I’m kicking the Astrals.

I would have liked demo the Atomic Vantages. A number of the instructors at my mountain really love this one in the 77 but this shop didn’t sell Atomics and I don’t know when I’d get a chance to demo them. Maybe I’ll look into them down the road to replace my current drivers.

So, a bird in the hand...;-)

The real lesson that I took from this experience is that while you should do all the research you can ahead of time when it comes to buying new skis, know that what you think you want won’t always be what you really want. Be open to adapting on the fly.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yay on finding something you love, and at such a great price! This is the exact reason the ladies on this site very enthusiasically advocate demoing. Ski love is so very subjective.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great that you found a pair of skis you love!

But...we're still in midwinter conditions in the northeast, and I don't think these are the skis you are going to want for spring skiing or powder. You really do need something fatter for that stuff. I know the fatter skis are harder to get up on edge, but you don't really want to be edging them a lot unless you suddenly run across something with a firmer surface. Navigating spring conditions is a very different skillset than midwinter skiing. When spring skiing arrives, I slap a storage wax on my carvers just to make sure I don't get any ideas about taking them out on spring conditions, and that's purely from experience. Trying to carve that stuff is just going to wear a body out.

I'm thinking what you really added to your quiver is your new daily driver, and to have a daily ski you're thrilled about is going to make a load of difference to your progression!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yes, playful and turny are perfectly acceptable terms to use when describing a ski :thumb: A couple of my favorites actually! From what I have read the Nordica Astrals are a fun and friendly ski line; I have been meaning to pop on the Astral 84 or 88 at a demo day. My husband just got the Nordica Navigator 90 which is similar in design/construction to the Astral - he loves it.

While the 90s waist width may have not ended-up being what you were going to be happy with, keep in mind one 90s width ski often doesn't ski like another one. The Volkl Secret, Nordica Santa Ana 93, Blizzard Sheeva 9, and Elan Ripstick 94W have similar waist widths but all ski very differently. I didn't care for the Secret, but I liked the Santa Ana 93 and love the Sheeva 9 and the Ripstick 94W.

I would have been very interested in hearing what you thought of the Nordica Astral 84 - with your specs (5'6"/195) that in a 165 may have been another great option!

marzNC

Angel Diva
[Very] Long story short, everything in the shop was 30% off. That, coupled with the credit for the $60 demo fee and the Nordica Astral 78s plus bindings were going to be about $330 plus tax. So, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! I bought them. I just couldn’t beat that price.
I had a chance to demo the Nordica Astral 84 out west last month. I can imagine that the Astral 78 will be great for mid-Atlantic skiing. Sticking with 78 underfoot was the reason I bought the Head Absolut Joy after demo'ing the AJ and the Total Joy at Massanutten. Liked both but the TJ is 84 underfoot and I wanted something narrower.

Great deal on skis that were fun . . . sounds like a successful personal demo day to me!

Ski Around Sue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Serafina - I'm sure that you're right the Astral 78 wouldn't be great in powder but my chances of really seeing that are slim. With regard to spring skiing, we are a couple of weeks away from our area slopes closing. Weather this week and next will be in the 50s. That usually does it. But I take your point and if I had the opportunity to ski in real spring slush, I may be in trouble with this ski. If I hadn't been so tired, I might have demoed the Santa Anas. In the meantime, I'm going to take up some suggestions to watch videos about spring snow skiing.

@lisamamot I debated about trying the Astral 84 and if I had more time, I may have. As to the length, my 158 may turn out to be a little short. I couldn't really tell the other day. Unfortunately, that was the longest length I could demo and I was afraid of buying the longer length (165) without trying it. I wish it had come in a 161 - I would have gone for that. It was strange that really none of the demo skis were in longer lengths. They had the Yumi in 168 but other than that, nothing was longer than 163.

I bumped into a guy at the shop that had loved the Navigators also. I mentioned to my husband that maybe we look for new skis for him also. He hates the soft snow and generally just hangs it up for the day if those are the conditions. I'm thinking the Navigator may be just what he needs to improve his confidence - at least worth a demo. He didn't really believe that different skis skied differently until I relayed my experience the other day. He thought the issues he was having were all due to lack of skill and I think that is demoralizing for him.

As to my choice, my theory is that if I had looked harder and longer I may have found a ski I like better or one that would be more suitable but, for the money and the time spent, I think this will work in the meantime. I'll use them for a couple of years, improve my skills and see where that takes me.

I think going forward, I will take the opportunity to seek out demo days at local mountains just to get a feel for different skis and different lengths and to see what I like and don't like.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can also run yourself ragged trying to demo things you put on a list. It's hard to find everything you want to try AND in the right length.

You found a ski that you enjoyed and you have confidence in it. Don't overthink it. Just go out and have fun.

Not everyone has a quiver of skis. I have one pair ... well, there are 2 in the garage just because I've never gotten rid of the old ones. I don't have dedicated carvers or powder skis or rock skis or anything else. The Yumis and I will just have to deal with whatever the day brings. If I had a bunch of skis, I'd have to decide which ones to take each day, then I'd find a lump of powder or rock and second-guess my choice of skis. And I am not taking multiples and going out to the car to swap skis. My skiing is for pleasure. Simplicity is part of that.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
It was strange that really none of the demo skis were in longer lengths
Sadly it isn't strange at all! I am 5'9"/140 and finding skis to demo in my preferred length is aggravating. Demo days are better than the mountain shop but even then I run into issues.

Most recently I demoed the Blizzard Sheeva 9 164 but bought the 172; I even tried to demo the Rustler 9 (men's Sheeva) but the shortest they had was the 180 - UGH. It is a rare occurrence where I get to actually demo the ski I want in the length I want. When I first got back into skiing length was a tough thing to settle on and I made mistakes; over time I have realized that a ski commensurate with my height, but in the proper construction for me, is what I prefer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna