• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My 66th Birthday--Perseids and moose

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, fresh off our European blitz trip (HOT HOT HOT), I needed a nature retreat to soften the re-entry to reality. We went up for a couple of days to my place near Yellowstone. In the am--as I poured my coffee, a mama moose with her calf were outside my window (great way to start the day). A mild mountain bike ride in the pm. Then the Perseids show.. Because there is little light pollution and a new moon, we set up our chaise in the forest service land behind my house and stared at the heavens---and watched the show for a couple of hours.

The bliss aside---there are plenty of issues I have to deal with later. Bats in the belfry. A pine tree that needs to come down due to proximity to cabin (fire and ice dam hazard). Like Scarlet O'Hara--I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Christy

Angel Diva
That's really cool. We were in Alaska, and against all odds we actually had clear skies, but even though we were in a small town in the middle of nowhere AK there was enough lights from neighboring homes and a dock to impede viewing.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome! We were camping out by Conifer, CO during the Perseids and I took my SUP out on the lake under the stars and got to see a few but I didn't have the stamina to stay up late enough to catch the majority of them.

As an aside, I'm heading to Yellowstone next week for a last minute trip with the family. Any tips on good less crowded trails etc (that don't have huge long hikes, as we'll have young kids with us) to check out?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great way to spend your birthday @dloveski! I was looking forward to the Perseids and despite being on a surf trip in mexico far far away from any light pollution didn't see as much as I thought we would.....like @Kimmyt I couldn't stay up later

mustski

Angel Diva
Happy Birthday! We also tried for the show and were in Eagle Lake, CA camping - unfortunately hazy smoke from the fires blew in and obscured the view.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Sounds like an awesome way to celebrate!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome! We were camping out by Conifer, CO during the Perseids and I took my SUP out on the lake under the stars and got to see a few but I didn't have the stamina to stay up late enough to catch the majority of them.

As an aside, I'm heading to Yellowstone next week for a last minute trip with the family. Any tips on good less crowded trails etc (that don't have huge long hikes, as we'll have young kids with us) to check out?

Which gate (north, west, south)? Because school started for many, crowds might be a bit down from peak, but I would recommend an early entry.....by 10 am, the lines are too long for me to enter. It also depends what the kids haven't seen (typically Old Faithful and Geyser Basin/Artists Point are interesting for kids with much to see and the boardwalks and short hikes are easy, as is Firehole River stroll.

The Canyons area has some good day hikes off the beaten path---but for kids, there may not be the excitement of the geysers etc.---just good ol nature hikes away from maddening crowds---

DH really loves the Washburn hike, but smoke may limit the fabulous visibility of the YS terrain from the Observatory:

6.4 Miles Round-Trip – Moderate; Trailhead Location: North of Canyon Village on Dunraven Pass
This trail takes you to the lookout tower on the summit of Mount Washburn and is easily one of the best hikes Yellowstone has to offer. Whether you hike to the top from Chittenden Road (5.4 miles round-trip) or from Dunraven Pass Trailhead (6.4 miles round-trip), you can sit inside the lookout and take in the incredible scenery.

I personally like some backcountry entries into YS---no road, no entry points, esp in winter on X/C skis....no people. I'm not promoting these trails but will share my faves if anyone wants to know where the locals go to hike/ski.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna