• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017

alison wong

Angel Diva
My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017
I enjoyed my Banff ski trip last year so much that I decided to return this year.

March 9th – returning to SSV.
I arrived to Banff on March 8th in minus 12 degree Celsius. Eunice, my ski buddy, was supposed to be joining me but her flight got delayed and I ended up skiing solo the first day.
I decided to ski Sunshine Village (SSV) on the first day because it was an easier mtn for warm up. Plus, my favorite SSV mtn host, Brian, was working on Thursday. I contacted him in advance that I would be joining his noon tour on Thursday.
I guess I was so excited about SSV, I actually arrived 20 minutes early to the shuttle stop. Waiting in -12 degree Celsius was not pleasant!

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.04.55 PM.png

Few photos of the green/ blue runs from Strawberry chair. I felt very good that I was able to return to the same place I enjoyed so much last year. It brought back fond memories and smiles on my face. I really like SSV, it has a special place in my heart.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.07.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.07.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.07.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.07.41 PM.png

I tried to repeat some of the same runs that I did last year. For whatever the reason, some of the runs I found easy last year, e.g. Downhill, I found it so steep that I chickened out.

One of my favorite chairs at SSV, the Divide Chair. I finally got to take some photos. These were the towers I kept referring to. Tower #16, Welcome to Beautiful British Columbia.
Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.10.28 PM.png

Tower #18, Welcome back to Sunny Alberta. This is just so cool!

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.10.35 PM.png

I did few laps around the runs off the Divide Chair. I skied very slow and felt like my feet were swimming again in my boots. Somehow, when I skied by myself, I struggled and just could not get my bearings together.
It was close to noon by the time I made back to the base. I practically inhaled my lunch and went to the mountain tour meeting point to meet with Brian.
I was very happy to see him again!
Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.11.50 PM.png

There was another girl joining our noon tour, miss M from Australia. She was in Canada on a 10-week vacation, doing the powder highway ski trip by Greyhound. Banff was her 2nd stop.

Brian started us with Strawberry chair, he showed us few spots with powder stash. Compared to last year, I skied much faster this yr., so I was able to keep up with the tour. Brian did not have to wait me as long….

He even took us to do some of the black diamonds, Rolling Thunder in Goat’s Eye mountain, Tin Can tree that I had my first taste of skiing in trees.

The grand finale, Brian took us to my favorite run, Bluebell off the Jackrabbit chair. Again, it brought back my fond memory of this tree-line trial.

Not sure why, but I skied much better when I skied with the tour group in the afternoon.

The tour finished the tour around 3pm, we bid farewell and told Brian hope I would get to see him again next season.

The tour was done but I was not done yet. I spent the last hour went back to the Blue Bell run, and then grabbed my backpack at the lodge and skied down Banff Avenue.

I played hard this day, started at 7 am and finished at 5 pm.

March 10th –
Eunice arrived last night. We decided to hit Lake Louise (LL) this day. I was a bit concerned for Eunice because LL was a more difficult mountain, it was her first day of skiing, and she was lower intermediate.

We started with the Glacier Chair, which leads to the easy green and blue runs. I confidently told her I would lead the way to the easy green, Wiwaxy, for our 1st warm up run.

Mistake #1: Turned out I missed the turn and by the time I realized it, we were too far down to hike back up. So we had to ski down on a blue (Cameron’s way) for our 1st run. For me, it was ok, but for her, it was a bit tricky…..(sigh) I know I had poor sense of direction. Sorry, Eunice!

We did few more runs for warm up and then joined LL Ski Friend mountain tour at 10.

LL Ski Friend mountain tour is divided into Green, Green/Blue, Blue, Black and Double Black. We joined the Green tour, our mtn host: Kathy.
Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.12.49 PM.png

For me, the good thing about taking the tour was, we were able to visit places that I would not be able to feel comfortable going alone. With Kathy, I visited the back bowl the first time. (Last year I did not get a chance to). It was true that the snow in the back bowl was better and the view was better too! The tour was 2 hours long and most of our time lapping different parts of the back bowls, we stuck w/ the green and easy blues.
Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.14.24 PM.png
After lunch, we decided to do another Ski Friend tour at 1:30pm. I requested our Ski Friend host to go to my favorite run Jerry’s Jungle, it was a tree-lined half pipe trail, and I wanted Eunice to experience the uniqueness of that run.

Mistake #2 – I forgot it was tricky to get to Jerry’s Jungle. You needed to take “Top of the world” chair, skied through a narrow icy traverse, then down an icy steep blue (Home Run and Grizzly Gully), then arrived to Jerry’s Jungle.

Visibility was not so good that time, as we were approaching to the peak, it was foggy. The 2 ski friend hosts said: “well, who’s idea was that?” I felt bad, but it was too late to do anything now!

Eunice fell on the narrow icy traverse…. by now, I think I totally traumatized her. By the time we arrived to Jerry’s Jungle, she was too anxious and stressed to appreciate it….. So we took it easy the rest of the day.

alison wong

Angel Diva
March 11th – back to SSV and met @Albertan ski girl the 1st time
It snowed quite a bit overnight and the condition was very good.

I had been looking forward to this day because I contacted @Albertan ski girl last year and told her that I would be back to Banff this year. I hoped I would be able to meet her in person and skied with her if possible. So, it finally happened.
This was Eunice’s first visit to SSV. We started our day from runs off the Strawberry chair. This time, I cautiously showed her the green runs …. making sure I would not miss any turns and ended up on a blue again….

We met with @Albertan ski girl at 11 am. She gave me a big hug.

With @Albertan ski girl , I got to explore few more interesting runs. Off the Divide Chair, from South Divide run, she took me to part of the run with deep powder. That was neat, I did not get to ski in this deep powder very often.

In the afternoon, we spent quite a bit of time in black diamond runs in Wawa bowl: Start Trek, Birdcage, Old T bar. The part I enjoyed the most was the tree runs. Since the snow was soft, I was not terrified these narrower parts. When we came out of those trees, I felt like a 5-year old again, care free and adventurous!

We finished our day skied down Banff Avenue and bid farewell to @Albertan ski girl. Thanks again for taking the time to show us SSV, it was a wonderful day at SSV. Both Eunice and I enjoyed very much. Most important of all, you made me feel like a care-free 5-year old again.

I only took 1 picture this day, as I was too busy skiing.... tried to explore as much as I could on my last day.
Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.17.32 PM.png

In conclusion, I still prefer SSV over LL. I feel I can do more in SSV, plus snow condition in SSV is consistently better. Due to poor visibility on the day we skied LL, I did not get to appreciate the scenery too much this time.
From this trip, I also came to realize I ski better when I ski with others, I hold back quite a bit when I ski solo. Yes, it is also more fun when skiing with others, if others are the same level as me. Otherwise, it can be a bit stressful to try to keep up.
I love Banff and yes, I am already thinking about my Banff trip next year for 2 reasons:

1) skiing powder with stunning backdrop scenery
2) stock up Ketchup flavor potato chips + Brookside mango & mangosteen chocolate + Kicking Horse Coffee - these are hard to find in the U.S. :tongue:

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.17.39 PM.png

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
It was an awesome time! Looking forward to next year!

P.s. I also loves sriracha chips. My other favourite i had lately was Harissa flavoured...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@alison wong your TR's are really fun... I need you to do my TR for Kitzbuehl and Portes du Soleil for me....lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna