• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Multi-Ski Area Pass Comparison

marzNC

Angel Diva
Outside magazine did a pretty good article on the IKON vs MCP Pass. Go here.
Pretty good analysis, although has a bit of a western slant. Interesting speculation that the price for the children's Epic pass might be lower to compete with Ikon.

The comment for east coast folks was "With full time access to Stratton, Tremblant, Blue, and Snowshoe—and a week apiece at Killington, Sugarbush, and some combo of Sunday River, Sugarbush and Loon—the Ikon is the obvious choice for the Ice Coaster. (The Epic’s lone East Coast entry is Stowe.)" Perhaps true when only comparing Epic to Ikon, but there are a lot of other options for east coast people who don't live in VT/NH/ME to consider. Not clear that someone driving from Boston/RI/CT, NYC/NJ/Philly, DC/Baltimore, Richmond/Raleigh/Atlanta would think $899 for the full Ikon is a deal. Very long drives from Pittsburgh, even going to Snowshoe.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I kind of take exception to the term "Ice Coast," too. But maybe I'm being overly sensitive.
I would agree. I don't like it when people call Whiteface "Iceface" because that usually means they haven't skied there in a long time. Just as when someone says "Mass-o-Nuttin" when I mention Massanutten.

Not to say there isn't more ice to deal with in the northeast, but with snowmaking technology those who grew up in the northeast but moved away 20+ years ago really don't know what current ski conditions are like on a regular basis. People who have never skied in the northeast or southeast . . . have no concept at all. Just as someone who has never skied out west is in for a surprise the first time they go to a destination resort. Doesn't matter if they can ski any terrain in the northeast, the snow and length of runs is different.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree. I don't like it when people call Whiteface "Iceface" because that usually means they haven't skied there in a long time. Just as when someone says "Mass-o-Nuttin" when I mention Massanutten.

Not to say there isn't more ice to deal with in the northeast, but with snowmaking technology those who grew up in the northeast but moved away 20+ years ago really don't know what current ski conditions are like on a regular basis. People who have never skied in the northeast or southeast . . . have no concept at all. Just as someone who has never skied out west is in for a surprise the first time they go to a destination resort. Doesn't matter if they can ski any terrain in the northeast, the snow and length of runs is different.

Couldn't agree more.

Tvan

Angel Diva

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (Fernie, Kimberley, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Stoneham, Mont Sainte Anne) just joined Epic. Not sure how I feel about that...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (Fernie, Kimberley, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Stoneham, Mont Sainte Anne) just joined Epic. Not sure how I feel about that...
The press release is dated March 2, 2018. Key point being "long-term alliance," which is the same terminology used for the agreement with Telluride. Feels like a way to lock in these places and keep them away from Ikon or the MCP. Probably will appeal to folks in Australia, who are already very aware that Hakuba has moved from the MCP to Epic.

Resorts of the Canadian Rockies—Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberley, Nakiska, Mont Sainte Anne and Stoneham—Join the Epic Pass

• The iconic Resorts of the Canadian RockiesFernie Alpine Resort, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort and Kimberley Alpine Resort in British Columbia, Nakiska in Alberta, and Mont Sainte Anne and Stoneham in Quebec—join the Epic Pass beginning with the 2018-19 winter season in a long-term alliance.
  • Epic and Epic 7-Day pass holders will receive seven days and Epic 4-Day pass holders will receive four days of skiing or snowboarding with no blackout dates at the Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, and 50 percent off lift tickets after the seven days have been redeemed.
  • Epic Pass holders can go direct to the lift with their pass at Resorts of the Canadian Rockies and bypass the ticket window.
  • RCR season pass holders, including RCR Rockies Pass, Fernie Season Pass, Kicking Horse Season Pass, Kimberley Season Pass, Mont Saint Anne and Stoneham Season Pass holders will receive 50 percent off lift tickets at all Vail Resorts owned mountain resorts.

Christy

Angel Diva
Except for Stevens in the Powder Alliance, the WA ski areas are completely absent from all of those passes. WHICH I LOVE. Are there any other surprises in terms of who isn't participating in the pass craze?

@marzNC @ski diva C'mon, you guys know it's always icy back east, always raining in the PNW, nothing but Sierra Cement in Tahoe, and always perfect powder days in the Rockies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly