• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Multi-Ski Area Pass Comparison

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have you ever skied at Mount Snow? Do you know what the reputation of the other Peak mountains is? Trying to figure out what will replace Max Pass for us. We live in NYC and right now are considering The ORDA 3 mountain pass.
Based on what I've read about the Peak resorts, plus having skied the ORDA mountains and Hunter, if I were still living in NYC and looking to ski on weekends, I would go for the ORDA Ski3 pass. Plus perhaps try to get to Plattekill one weekend.

I rather like Jiminy Peak but a season pass may only makes sense for NYC/NJ/CT families who are willing to pay a little more for ski in/out lodging or are timeshare owners. Good mix of terrain from beginner to advanced, assuming the double blacks are open. Night skiing until 10pm on weekends with green/blue/black trails and terrain parks when there is enough snow.

Crotched, Big Boulder, and Jack Frost are small hills that only make sense if someone has a relatively short drive for a day trip. The drive to Mt Snow from NYC would not be worth it. While snowmaking seems to be pretty good, the upper lifts at Mt Snow seem to go on wind hold when storms are blowing in. Gets crowds who aren't willing to drive to northern VT from points south.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Have you ever skied at Mount Snow? Do you know what the reputation of the other Peak mountains is? Trying to figure out what will replace Max Pass for us. We live in NYC and right now are considering The ORDA 3 mountain pass.

Yes I have! I like mount snow. One of their hills is terrain park from top to bottom. They have natural feature parks too which are fun and the riglet parks for beginners (kids usually). I haven’t been in a long time. Hubs did his level 1 there (ski instructors) when he was there it rained and the place was empty.

Other peak resorts: I have heard they’re quite good and worth checking out. Hopefully we get to some day!

We get season passes each year bc our home mountain is Hunter. This year we got the peak pass. So well get it again next year. It’s low cost for us bc hubs works there. If we go out west we usually try to get a pass to cover our lift tickets there. Usually one week at Whistler or Jackson Hole. Our next trip might be Big Sky. We want to get away from the crowds but still ski plenty fun stuff. If there are any recommendations I’d be open to hearing it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Our next trip might be Big Sky. We want to get away from the crowds but still ski plenty fun stuff. If there are any recommendations I’d be open to hearing it!
Been to Big Sky twice. Planning to go back relatively soon. Starting with a day or two at Bridger makes for a very fun ski week.

In addition to Diva Week West in 2012, another ski forum has had "gatherings" at Big Sky. There is good reasons for the choice.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I bit the bullet and bought the IKON pass for us. We know we'll ski Stratton and Tremblant for sure. Even if we don't go out west, we at least break even on the cost, and maybe we'll try a few days at Sugarbush and/or Killington. I'm secretly hoping that some of the smaller local mountains will form some sort of partnership with IKON. I'm still mourning the loss of the MAX Pass, which was such a great fit for our family this past year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I bit the bullet and bought the IKON pass for us. We know we'll ski Stratton and Tremblant for sure. Even if we don't go out west, we at least break even on the cost, and maybe we'll try a few days at Sugarbush and/or Killington. I'm secretly hoping that some of the smaller local mountains will form some sort of partnership with IKON. I'm still mourning the loss of the MAX Pass, which was such a great fit for our family this past year.
I'm sure you'll get good value from Ikon by getting it this early. Give you plenty of time to think about options for next winter. Killington is good for early and late season.

I think you would like Sugarbush. The Mad River Barn is very cute and has great food. But fills up fast on weekends because it's pretty small.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Discovered that Snowbird has a table to compare pass options (scroll down). Covers the two Snowbird options (Summit, Value), Ikon, and MCP. The age cutoff for a senior discount is 65, same as Alta. Clearly a local (drive within half day) or a traveler (fly or drive 8+ hours) would make a different decision about which pass to consider. There is a Spring 2018 Snowbird pass for $579 that was good starting March 1, 2018.

The Alta/Snowbird combo pass won't be available until the summer.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 11.12.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 11.12.26 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The $1 price for a child MCP won't last much longer. The Status bar has moved into NEARLY SOLD OUT as of 4/10. Reminder emails are going out this week to people on the e-list for individual resorts. Last year the price for kids went up to $99 by 4/8/2017.

The timing is interesting given the timing of when the Ikon pass prices for children went up.

The Ikon pass prices go up $100 on May 1, 2018.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Powder Alliance is growing for 2018-19. Loveland and Sugar Bowl joined along with Marmot Basin (calling @Albertan ski girl ) and Castle Mountain in Alberta. The deal is that with any season pass at one of the places, can get up to three free day tickets midweek, plus half price tickets on weekends, at all the other 18 locations. For folks who live out west within driving distance of one of the Powder Alliance ski areas, certainly quite a perk for buying a season pass. Assuming it's practical to do at least one trip to ski for a few days at one or more other locations.

I think the list for the Powder Alliance for 2017-18 was Angel Fire, Arizona Snow Bowl, Bogus Basin, Bridger Bowl, China Peak, Crested Butte, Mountain High, Mount Hood, Schweitzer, Silver Bowl, Sierra at Tahoe, Snowbasin, Stevens, Timberline, Whitewater, Wild West Powder Quest. Kiroro in Japan and La Parva in Chile were/are included too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Powder Alliance is growing for 2018-19. Loveland and Sugar Bowl joined along with Marmot Basin (calling @Albertan ski girl ) and Castle Mountain in Alberta. The deal is that with any season pass at one of the places, can get up to three free day tickets midweek, plus half price tickets on weekends, at all the other 18 locations. For folks who live out west within driving distance of one of the Powder Alliance ski areas, certainly quite a perk for buying a season pass. Assuming it's practical to do at least one trip to ski for a few days at one or more other locations.

I think the list for the Powder Alliance for 2017-18 was Angel Fire, Arizona Snow Bowl, Bogus Basin, Bridger Bowl, China Peak, Crested Butte, Mountain High, Mount Hood, Schweitzer, Silver Bowl, Sierra at Tahoe, Snowbasin, Stevens, Timberline, Whitewater, Wild West Powder Quest. Kiroro in Japan and La Parva in Chile were/are included too.
The Powder Alliance news came out on April 5, 2018.

https://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/9051-powder-alliance-adds-four-resorts-for-2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
May not apply to many Divas but I find the evolution of the Powder Pass in the southwest (AZ, NM, SW Colorado) interesting. There are now five ski areas under the same ownership after several acquisitions: AZ Snowbowl, Purgatory, Hesperus, Sipapu, and Pajarito. People who live in reasonable driving distance of these places can reach the others fairly easily as well. Hesperus is small but has night skiing. Purgatory is a small resort with ski in/out lodging near Durango.

In addition to Powder Pass options, there are also Powder Card options for people who expect to ski <6 days per season. What's new for 2018-19 is a FREE season pass for 4th graders and younger if can make a decision in the spring. There is a parent-sharing pass for families with kids 3 and under. There are good deals for seniors (65-69, 70-79, 80+). Early bird season pass prices are substantially lower than the full prices and end April 20.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 8.25.19 PM.png

AZ Snowbowl has been in the Powder Alliance. According to the Snowbowl FAQ, it won't be for 2018-19. However, a perk for Powder Pass holders is 3 days at a list of other ski areas. Most of them are within a reasonable driving distance for a ski safari or long weekend.

Copper Mountain
Loveland Ski Area
Monarch Mountain
Eldora Mountain Resort
Grand Targhee Ski Resort
Panorama Mountain Resort *
Powder Mountain
Powderhorn Mountain Resort
Snow King Resort

Snowy Range Ski & Recreation Area
Sunlight Mountain Resort

Kiroro Resort (Hokkaido, Japan)

* resort lodging required

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

I saw that Marmot joined Powder Alliance! But I don't think we'll get a season pass there - it's just too far away to constantly be driving up to Jasper. But we are going to definitely do another one or two short trips up to Jasper next year. I think that will be an annual getaway!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mountain Collective prices are $429/Adult and $99/Child today, 4/14/18. Bonus day at one pre-designated location still available. That's the same as a year ago. Be interesting to see if the adult price goes up in mid-May or not.

marzNC

Angel Diva
May not apply to many Divas but I find the evolution of the Powder Pass in the southwest (AZ, NM, SW Colorado) interesting. There are now five ski areas under the same ownership after several acquisitions: AZ Snowbowl, Purgatory, Hesperus, Sipapu, and Pajarito. . . .
Make that six for the Powder Pass. Nordic Valley in the Ogden Valley near Salt Lake City is going to be operated by the company that owns the other five ski areas on the Powder Pass in 2018-19.

The most notable change is that a Nordic Valley season pass will be cheaper, only "$299 for adults and includes unlimited access with no blackout dates to Nordic Valley, as well as Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort in New Mexico, Pajarito Mountain in New Mexico, and Hesperus Ski Area in Colorado, which are also managed by Mountain Capital Partners." That does not include Purgatory or AZ Snowbowl, the other two places in the Powder Pass that is $599. With a Powder Pass, someone who is local to Nordic Valley would also get 3 days at Powder Mountain and 3 days at Grand Targhee. Clearly Jim Coleman is pulling together a collection of family-friendly ski areas in the southwest that serve local folks who mainly drive for skiing/boarding.

https://www.skiutah.com/news/authors/pr/utah-ski-resort-joins-the-mountain

Nordic Valley has 140 acres, with snowmaking on 60% of the terrain. Small by Utah standards. But with night skiing, it's a good place for kids to learn or for locals to get in a few runs after work. Very much an old school vibe.

Last edited:

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone mentioned the Freedom Pass? If you buy the full pass to one of their mountains, you get 3 days each at the partner mountains: Magic, Bolton Valley, Whaleback, Plattekill, Dartmouth Skiway, Granite Gorge, Lost Valley, Black Mountain, Copper Mountain and more.

https://freedompass.ski

marzNC

Angel Diva
Has anyone mentioned the Freedom Pass? If you buy the full pass to one of their mountains, you get 3 days each at the partner mountains: Magic, Bolton Valley, Whaleback, Plattekill, Dartmouth Skiway, Granite Gorge, Lost Valley, Black Mountain, Copper Mountain and more.

https://freedompass.ski
Ah, that's the Freedom Pass. Have heard of it elsewhere from folks who like Magic and Plattekill. The Colorado ski area is Cooper, not Copper. Interesting that Sipapu and Pajarito in NM of the Power Pass are included. I supposed someone with family or a reason to travel for work in NM and New England might be able to ski in both regions during one winter. Of course, only makes sense if they live near one of the Freedom Pass ski areas and could make use of a season pass.

Noticed that Mount Bohemia isn't on the Freedom Pass any more. It was for at least one year. Bohemia usually has a day when a season pass is only $99, so there might have been people buying it just to get the Freedom Pass perks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Reminder emails went out today that the price for the Ikon passes go up $100 on May 1.

Mammoth, Squaw/Alpine, and Winter Park are still open for a few more weeks. People who buy a 2018-19 Ikon pass can use them at those resorts for spring skiing.

The MCP price probably won't go up again until mid-May.

I think the best deal on Epic passes ended mid-April. The price didn't change but the number of buddy passes is less now. My impression is that the price stays the same all summer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not really a multi-resort pass and only applicable to people who live in Portland, or driving distance to Mt. Hood or Mt. Baker but . . .

Timberline at Mt Hood, just on the other side of the mountain from Mt. Hood Meadows has a Fusion Pass that provides access to Timberline and Mt. Hood Snowbowl. Snowbowl has night skiing. Timberline opens early and stays open late, usually until late May.

Mt. Hood Meadows and Mt. Baker have reciprocal agreement for season passholders. Can get 5 days at the other area. Also get 25% lift tickets at Big White in Kelowna, BC. The following is from the Hood Meadows website for 2017-18 but I would think it will happen again.

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 5.59.15 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mountain Collective prices are $429/Adult and $99/Child today, 4/14/18. Bonus day at one pre-designated location still available. That's the same as a year ago. Be interesting to see if the adult price goes up in mid-May or not.
So the MCP price has yet to go up from $429 as of the end of May. Got a reminder email from Liftopia today. The Status Bar is only just getting to LIMITED STOCK. Usually sales stop at the end of June for about six weeks. In August, the bonus third day at a pre-selected location is usually no longer available.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Be interesting to see what happens to the MCP pricing in the fall with the announcement that Alterra is buying Solitude and will add it to Ikon. The MCP is still available for $429 but not for long.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 1.04.12 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna