• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Multi-Ski Area Pass Comparison

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC @ski diva C'mon, you guys know it's always icy back east, always raining in the PNW, nothing but Sierra Cement in Tahoe, and always perfect powder days in the Rockies.
I dunno, I skied 30 inches of powder in Tahoe for a Diva Week, had spring skiing conditions in Jan and Mar in Utah, and skied powder bumps at Sugarbush in VT. I thought the issue in the PNW was fog in the winter and rain in the summer? :wink:

Do you know any WA residents who got an Epic pass after W-B was bought by Vail?

Christy

Angel Diva
I don't know anyone that has gotten an Epic Pass. In fact it seems like I hear about fewer and fewer Seattle people going to WB and we aren't going much anymore either. Lodging has gone through the roof in recent years and there are no more good last minute deals like there always used to be (well on weekends anyway). Most all the skiers I know these days are families with young kids that get passes to Snoqualmie because they can't take more than a hour drive with the kids, and Snoqualmie is perfect for kids.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anyone that has gotten an Epic Pass. In fact it seems like I hear about fewer and fewer Seattle people going to WB and we aren't going much anymore either. Lodging has gone through the roof in recent years and there are no more good last minute deals like there always used to be (well on weekends anyway). Most all the skiers I know these days are families with young kids that get passes to Snoqualmie because they can't take more than a hour drive with the kids, and Snoqualmie is perfect for kids.

Not a great pass for the East, certainly. The only eastern resort on it is Stowe.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NY Also has the Empire Pass. $99-
You can start the pass w/1st day free at Gore, WF or Bellaryre: I pulled this from Gore's Website but WF and I assume Bellearye say the same w/that Mt as 1st day free

2017-2018 Empire Card
  • For Adults ages 20+
  • Your 1st day at Gore is FREE*
  • 50% off one-day window tickets Monday-Friday, non-holiday, and 25% off one-day window tickets Saturday, Sunday, and during holiday periods at Gore, Whiteface, and Belleayre
  • One-day Tickets are just $39 Monday-Friday, non-holiday at Gore ($30 for Seniors ages 65-69 and $21 for ages 70+)
  • One-day Tickets are just $65 Saturday, Sunday, and holiday periods at Gore ($50 for Seniors ages 65-69 and $32 for ages 70+)
  • Every 6th visit is FREE at Gore, Whiteface, or Belleayre no matter where you rack up your snow days
  • Bring a friend on any non-holiday Tuesday or Thursday and they save 50% on their regular price one-day ticket. Friend ticket must be of equal or lesser value than cardholder's ticket type.
*Your first free day must be used at Gore. Multi-day ticket purchases count as one visit toward your sixth day free. Card expires Closing Day, Spring 2018.

I called Belleayre today and asked when the pricing tipped in favor of the Ski3 Season pass versus this deal and she said that based on 2017-2018 prices it’s about 11 days. So under 11 days their deal is better. More than 11 and you should get the Ski3 season pass.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I've been reviewing the passes again tonight, now that prices are posted, and I still really don't like any of the options for us. Sigh.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my hopes up today when I got an email titled "The Max Pass". Would there be some sort of add on after all? But no. It was just the Ikon again. None of the big passes make sense for me either. My local hill (Wachusett) with a reasonably priced add on to get me out exploring was perfect. If only I hadn't kept saying "I'll buy it next year". Sigh.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have been getting the Epic Tahoe Local Pass for years.... First time 2005? used it in Vail for 5 days. Was looking today $569 but for $100 more have 10 days that could be used at Vail, BC, Whistler ( all places I've been to several times) but hey?
ETA: just noticed you were referring to folks in Washington state

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been reviewing the passes again tonight, now that prices are posted, and I still really don't like any of the options for us. Sigh.
Are you trying to use the pass options to decide where to ski? Or deciding where to ski and then seeing which pass option or combination is the most helpful?

I'm probably going with the MCP again. I know I'll go back to Alta, planning to go back for another Taos Ski Week, and quite serious about figuring out how to go back to Big Sky. While I might be able to make good use of the Ikon, it would require more effort to make it happen and the amount of money at risk if I can't do as many trips as I'd like is great.

Pretty much the same thinking that was the reason I got the MCP for 2017-18 instead of the MAX Pass even though I was going to ski in the northeast a bit. Once I and my friends had the MCP, adding Telluride to the Taos trip made sense. That was a bonus. Worked out well since Telluride is moving to Epic. I don't happen to have any Vail resorts on my bucket list.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if buying these passes now means you get access to the resorts for the end of this season? I know thats' not typically the case for the MCP but was wondering about the other two.

I didn't realize there are so many different Epic passes its mind boggling. I just got the Military Epic which is for 14 resorts, not the 61 resorts listed for the full Epic pass. I'm not complaining just mentioning it. So who wants to do a diva Whistler trip? I'm excited I finally have a good reason to make a trip up to Tahoe now too!

kiki

Angel Diva
I was happy they offered the "old" whistler only pass again this year. and the edge cards. For so many locals that is what they want.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Are you trying to use the pass options to decide where to ski? Or deciding where to ski and then seeing which pass option or combination is the most helpful?

A combination of both. Given the days that we’re likely to ski at Stratton and Tremblant, Ikon seems like the closest bet although the price is a wash with just buying daily passes at discount when we book accommodations. None of the places on the Ikon pass are close enough for regular weekend skiing.

None of our closer regular weekend places are on any sort of regional pass. The loss of the ORDAs that were on the Max Pass hurts. Max pass was a no-brainer because of the variety and inclusion of some smaller mountains. And the price.

So, still undecided. And I really hate having to make decisions a year in advance with no insight to the weather!

marzNC

Angel Diva
A combination of both. Given the days that we’re likely to ski at Stratton and Tremblant, Ikon seems like the closest bet although the price is a wash with just buying daily passes at discount when we book accommodations. None of the places on the Ikon pass are close enough for regular weekend skiing.

None of our closer regular weekend places are on any sort of regional pass. The loss of the ORDAs that were on the Max Pass hurts. Max pass was a no-brainer because of the variety and inclusion of some smaller mountains. And the price.

So, still undecided. And I really hate having to make decisions a year in advance with no insight to the weather!
Bringing in money long before winter weather is know is exactly what Vail thought would work to grow the business when they invented the Epic Pass . . . and charged substantially less than the typical season pass for a larger resort. I think the first price was $500. Stowe locals were happy when their season pass went from about $2000 to $800 even for the full Epic pass.

I don't worry about snow conditions for my trips out west. I think about where I want to go and who might be interested in joining me. For example, my crew didn't cancel our trip to Taos and Telluride due to low snow conditions. We had a ball. Granted we got lucky and caught a snowstorm at both places, but would've been fun in a different way without new snow. Good grooming and snowmaking have had an impact out west as it has in the northeast and southeast. I always consider a powder day a bonus. Lessons out west are helpful in ways that aren't possible for me in the east.

When I get a season pass to Massanutten, I base the purchase on knowing that I will break even, which is about 7 days. Once I have the pass, then as my winter plans evolve I take it into account. Have always skied more because I bought a pass. Pretty much the same situation when I started getting the MCP during the early bird price when the bonus day is available. YMMV

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone know if buying these passes now means you get access to the resorts for the end of this season? I know thats' not typically the case for the MCP but was wondering about the other two.
Don't know much about Epic because it's not of personal interest to me.

However, for the Ikon it's clear that there is a lot of variation depending on the Alterra resort. I know that for Snowshoe in WV, getting the Ikon pass now means being able to use it for the rest of the season. But exactly how to make that work is not completely clear yet because Ikon passes are not being mailed until the fall. The fact that it's the first time the Ikon is begin offered and that Alterra is a relatively new company means that not everyone involved knows what's going on.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't know much about Epic because it's not of personal interest to me.

However, for the Ikon it's clear that there is a lot of variation depending on the Alterra resort. I know that for Snowshoe in WV, getting the Ikon pass now means being able to use it for the rest of the season. But exactly how to make that work is not completely clear yet because Ikon passes are not being mailed until the fall. The fact that it's the first time the Ikon is begin offered and that Alterra is a relatively new company means that not everyone involved knows what's going on.

New Diva here, headed to Snowshoe in a couple of weeks! I have read that we can show ID and get a printed pass for a day. I think it will be messy.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I got an email today about the Peak Pass. Here's what it says:

Peak Resorts announced today that its ever-popular Peak Pass is now on sale for the 2018-19 season. This pass, now in its third year, includes six different pass options, offering access to 7 mountains around the Northeast, including Mount Snow in Vermont; Attitash, Wildcat and Crotched Mountains in New Hampshire; Hunter Mountain in New York; and Jack Frost and Big Boulder in Pennsylvania.
Returning again for this season, the popular Drifter Pass offers 18-29 year-olds unlimited skiing and riding at all 7 resorts for just $399, which is the same low price as last season.

In addition to offering access to skiing for the upcoming season, those who purchase the pass today, or put $99 down and take advantage of Peak’s four-part payment plan, get access to skiing and riding for the rest of the 2017-18 Spring season, which often stretches into April and May at several resorts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna