• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Multi-resort passes for 2019-20: Ikon, MCP, Epic, Freedom, Indy, Peak, etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My Peak Traveler Pass showed up today in the mail. It came with a sheet of stickers, a large “Peak Pass” sticker, a print neck gaiter, and a booklet of all the Peak resorts. The pass doesn’t have a hole for a lanyard, however. I suppose that means they are upgrading Liberty/Whitetail/Roundtop to RFID. Otherwise they better hand out card holders with lanyards at guest services. If I have to show the pass to get a day ticket at the window, I’d be very upset.
I'll be very surprised if Peak is spending money on RFID gates or scanners for the former Snowtime resorts for the upcoming season.

Massanutten season passes don't have holes. They give out armband-style holders or lanyard card holders. I found the Goggle Pocket easier to use than either of those options.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For historical perspective . . . apparently back in 2008 Boyne Resorts offered a season pass that covered all Boyne locations. The price was $1799. That's probably just before Boyne decided become more of an operator under a long-term lease than an owner. As of 2019 Boyne is back to being a major owner and operator of destination resorts in multiple regions. Full Ikon covers 7 days at all Boyne resorts for about $1000, as well as all Alterra resorts and other major destination resorts such as Alta, Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Squaw/Alpine, Aspen/Snowmass, and Mammoth. A Boyne Gold season pass at any one resort has the perk of 50% off lift tickets at all other Boyne resorts.

Boyne Resorts for 2008-09
BC, Canada: Cypress Mountain
WA: Crystal Mountain (owned by Alterra in 2019)
MT: Big Sky
UT: Brighton
MI: Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands
NH: Loon
ME: Sunday River, Sugarloaf

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
. . . Goggle Pocket . . .
That’s why I love this forum. Never even knew such things existed.

Funny thing though ... at first I read it as “google pocket” and of course when I googled it was all wrong and I thought surely that can’t be what was meant...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Apparently, subject to closing, Peak Resorts mountains are now all Epic. Most notable for us New Englanders are Attitash, Crotched, and Wildcat being added to the unlimited mix. This could sway me from Ikon in the future depending on western trip goals that year.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Whaaat!? Can I get a refund of my Peak pass since I already have the Epic? Got some calling to make. . .

It’s a good thing nevertheless...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently, subject to closing, Peak Resorts mountains are now all Epic. Most notable for us New Englanders are Attitash, Crotched, and Wildcat being added to the unlimited mix. This could sway me from Ikon in the future depending on western trip goals that year.

It's more than just that for New England. Mount Snow is included, too. Go here for the full story.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's more than just that for New England. Mount Snow is included, too. Go here for the full story.

I am not a Mount Snow fan because omg the crowds, and this will make me stay even further away from there!!! However, yeah this is huge for Epic in the East now! I’d never been interested in it before, but now it’s getting interesting.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh my! The multi-resort landscape has just been hit by a bombshell.

Vail acquires Peak Resorts

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vail-resorts-acquire-peak-resorts-110000429.html
"When the transaction closes, the 2019-20 Epic Pass, Epic Local Pass and Military Epic Pass will include unlimited and unrestricted access to the 17 Peak Resorts ski areas. Guests with an Epic Day Pass will also be able to access the new ski areas as a part of the total number of days purchased. For the 2019-20 season, Vail Resorts will honor and continue to sell all Peak Resorts pass products, and Peak Resorts' pass holders will have the option to upgrade to an Epic Pass or Epic Local Pass, following closing of the transaction."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Whaaat!? Can I get a refund of my Peak pass since I already have the Epic? Got some calling to make. . .

Unlikely to be a refund. What Vail Resorts usually does is come up with some sort of an upgrade path from existing season pass offering to some sort of Epic Pass. Certainly explains why Peak didn't bother to come up with any sort of local pass for the ski areas/resorts in PA (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop, Jack Frost/BB). Upgrading people who bought a Peak Pass will be relatively straightforward. The numbers involved will make the effort required worthwhile.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@MissySki made a comment in the Vail buys Peak thread that led me to thinking about people in the northeast who will like the Epic Pass even more with the addition of Peak Resorts in the east. Also reasons that some people will stick to Ikon. Others may find a local season pass still a good option if traveling around for a ski vacation just isn't practical but skiing more than 10 days a season is worth the effort and money. Per usual, the situation for people in other regions (southeast, midwest, west coast) is different.

For people who want to fly out west to ski at VR resorts like Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, or in Colorado, getting some form of Epic Pass is a no-brainer. For people who live within a few hours drive of a VR resort in the northeast, Epic can make a lot of sense. Being in the southeast (5 hours south of DC), I do not fit into either of those groups. Plus my favorite destination resorts are on Ikon (Alta, Taos, Big Sky). So even for slightly more money, Ikon is what I'll continue to get for trips out west.

Note that premium season passholders at MCP resorts get 50% off at any other MCP location. So from the beginning of the MCP, the resorts protected their season pass sales to locals. Especially in the early years when MCP locations were pretty far apart. Only SLC locals have ever had any reason to consider getting the MCP instead of a local season pass.

I noticed that a Boyne Gold Pass for 2019-20 at any Boyne resort includes 3 free days and 50% off additional lift tickets at any other Boyne location, including Big Sky. Essentially can have a local season pass with MCP-like benefits for a trip to Big Sky for people who live in the northeast (Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf) or Michigan (Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands).

Boyne Gold New England Pass benefits, $1479 thru Oct 14, 2019
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 8.18.35 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva

Well I was wrong about the possibility of a refund. As you discovered, the FAQ related to the Peak merger on the Epic website is pretty thorough. Clearly VR has learned what questions people will have after so many purchases. Pretty clear that the goal is to get people hooked on an Epic pass ASAP since refunds will be given for Peak passes if someone bought both already.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 8.33.50 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki made a comment in the Vail buys Peak thread that led me to thinking about people in the northeast who will like the Epic Pass even more with the addition of Peak Resorts in the east. Also reasons that some people will stick to Ikon. Others may find a local season pass still a good option if traveling around for a ski vacation just isn't practical but skiing more than 10 days a season is worth the effort and money. Per usual, the situation for people in other regions (southeast, midwest, west coast) is different.

For people who want to fly out west to ski at VR resorts like Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, or in Colorado, getting some form of Epic Pass is a no-brainer. For people who live within a few hours drive of a VR resort in the northeast, Epic can make a lot of sense. Being in the southeast (5 hours south of DC), I do not fit into either of those groups. Plus my favorite destination resorts are on Ikon (Alta, Taos, Big Sky). So even for slightly more money, Ikon is what I'll continue to get for trips out west.

Note that premium season passholders at MCP resorts get 50% off at any other MCP location. So from the beginning of the MCP, the resorts protected their season pass sales to locals. Especially in the early years when MCP locations were pretty far apart. Only SLC locals have ever had any reason to consider getting the MCP instead of a local season pass.

I noticed that a Boyne Gold Pass for 2019-20 at any Boyne resort includes 3 free days and 50% off additional lift tickets at any other Boyne location, including Big Sky. Essentially can have a local season pass with MCP-like benefits for a trip to Big Sky for people who live in the northeast (Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf) or Michigan (Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands).

Boyne Gold New England Pass benefits, $1479 thru Oct 14, 2019
View attachment 11042

That sounds like a lot now, but I think the gold was closer to $1100 in the spring..? Can’t recall since I myself bought a silver this year (~$679 I think, and actually lucked out by having a couple hundred dollars in Boyne rewards to use towards it which was nice) which has the usual holiday blackouts because I won’t be at SR for holidays anyway due to my seasonal rental agreement. I then purchased the full Ikon without blackouts to go other places for holidays in the east and then for a trip west.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh boy, the process of making a decision about which multi-resort pass to get just shifted gears again. At least for people who live in CO or like to fly into Denver. Arapahoe Basin has joined Ikon as a partner with the standard 7-days for Full Ikon and 5-days for Ikon Base.

https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/2019/08/02/ikon-pass-adds-arapahoe-basin

For folks who like to consider a late season trip after most destination resorts have close, Ikon will include A-Basin, Squaw, and Mammoth as options. Epic late season destinations include Breck and W-B.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Powder Alliance has made a few changes for 2019-20. Seems to have lost Silver Star in Canada. Recently added Mission Ridge and Stevens Pass in WA.

For travelers, I think Bridger, Timberline, Schweitzer, Sugar Bowl, and Loveland might be the names that Easterners would recognize. Don't know if it's enough to get someone to pay for a season pass though when flying from the east coast. The deal is that season passholders get 3 days at the other Powder Alliance locations, mostly free midweek and 50% off on weekends. Pretty interesting options for folks who live on the west coast willing to do some driving.

Mission Ridge, WA - NEW 2019-20
Stevens Pass, WA - NEW 2019-20
White Pass, WA
Timberline, OR
Mt Hood Ski Bowl, OR
Bogus Basin, ID
Schweitzer, ID
Bridger Bowl, MT - non-profit

China Peak, CA
Mountain High, CA
Sierra At Tahoe, CA
Sugar Bowl Resort, CA - NEW 2018-19

Loveland Ski Area, CO - NEW 2018-19
Monarch, CO
Angel Fire, NM
Arizona Snowbowl, AZ

Whitewater, BC
Castle Mountain Resort, ALB - NEW 2018-19
Ski Marmot Basin, ALB - NEW 2018-19

Kiroro, Japan
La Parva, Chile

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like the Wild West Powder Quest for the Powder Alliance still happens. The idea is to get to every Powder Alliance location in the same season. Chances of winning a big prize increases with the number of ski days at partner ski areas. First prize was a ski trip to Chile for two, including airfare, lodging, and lift tickets. The first prize winter has a season pass to Monarch and retired after working in the ski industry at Tahoe and Colorado. He made it to 15 of the 19 locations.

June 2019
Larry McDonald, Adam Baron, and Karen Boyle Win The 2018/19 Wild West Powder Quest

"This season, pass holders from every Powder Alliance resort set out in search of the best snow possible in the 2018/19 Wild West Powder Quest. Some spent days, other spent weeks. Some traveled as far as Chile and Japan but all recorded their visits on Instagram #WWPQ19 for a chance to win season passes, goodie bags, and a trip for two (2) to the Powder Alliance resort of their choice. This season three lucky winners were rewarded for their love of their sport, Larry McDonald, Adam Baron, and Karen Boyle.

Created by the Powder Alliance, one of the world’s premiere season pass cooperatives, the Wild West Powder Quest encourages pass holders to visit all other Powder Alliance resorts (up to three times free) for their chance to win season passes, goodie bags, and a trip for two (2) to the Powder Alliance resort of their choice. More than 100,000 guests were eligible to participate this winter.
. . ."

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like the Wild West Powder Quest for the Powder Alliance still happens. The idea is to get to every Powder Alliance location in the same season. Chances of winning a big prize increases with the number of ski days at partner ski areas. First prize was a ski trip to Chile for two, including airfare, lodging, and lift tickets. The first prize winter has a season pass to Monarch and retired after working in the ski industry at Tahoe and Colorado. He made it to 15 of the 19 locations.

June 2019
Larry McDonald, Adam Baron, and Karen Boyle Win The 2018/19 Wild West Powder Quest

"This season, pass holders from every Powder Alliance resort set out in search of the best snow possible in the 2018/19 Wild West Powder Quest. Some spent days, other spent weeks. Some traveled as far as Chile and Japan but all recorded their visits on Instagram #WWPQ19 for a chance to win season passes, goodie bags, and a trip for two (2) to the Powder Alliance resort of their choice. This season three lucky winners were rewarded for their love of their sport, Larry McDonald, Adam Baron, and Karen Boyle.

Created by the Powder Alliance, one of the world’s premiere season pass cooperatives, the Wild West Powder Quest encourages pass holders to visit all other Powder Alliance resorts (up to three times free) for their chance to win season passes, goodie bags, and a trip for two (2) to the Powder Alliance resort of their choice. More than 100,000 guests were eligible to participate this winter.
. . ."

Well ^^^ That is AWESOME!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, ZRankings thought they waited long enough before doing the annual analysis for choosing between the major multi-resort passes. They cover Epic, Ikon, MCP, and Powder Alliance with a bias towards advanced/expert terrain. But then Ikon announced A-Basin was joining as a partner. Also noticed that the price is wrong for Ikon because in July the price for Full Ikon is $1049. The MCP isn't even available in July and the price will be higher when sales open again some time in August. The moral is that when choosing a multi-resort pass, it pays to go directly to the source for the latest info.

The articles about choosing between Full Epic and Full Ikon in Utah or Colorado are a good read. Especially for people considering one of them for the first time. The price is comparable, so it really pays to know where you want to go during the upcoming season. The MCP is a very different model but can be quite useful for people who can do multiple trips to 2 or more destinations. For someone who lives near a Powder Alliance mountain so that a season pass makes sense, being able to check out a few other mountains for free midweek or at a discount on weekends could be a nice perk. Definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.

https://www.zrankings.com/ski-resorts/season-passes - July 23, 2019
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 6.54.49 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking back at the history of the Powder Alliance, found that Snowbasin and Crested Butte were part of it at one time. Snowbasin went on to join the MCP after Sun Valley decided that was the way to go for 2016-17. Crested Butte ended up on Epic after the sale of Triple Peaks (also Okemo, Sunapee) to Vail Resorts. Then Sun Valley and Snowbasin moved to Epic as partners, with limited days.

Not positive, but Snowbasin may be the only relatively large ski area that has been part of three multi-regional multi-resort partnerships in the last decade. The fact that there is no base lodging and that Snowbasin has the same ownership as Sun Valley is probably a factor.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have to look around their websites a bit but it's clear that both Epic and Ikon have "local passes" for a few locations owned by Vail Resorts or Alterra. None are destination resorts. For example, can get a local pass for June or Big Bear, but not Mammoth. Can get a senior pass at Kirkwood, but not Heavenly. Can get a local pass at all three midwest locations (Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton, Wilmot) bought before 2017.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly