• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Multi-resort passes for 2019-20: Ikon, MCP, Epic, Freedom, Indy, Peak, etc.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm surprised that more Canadian resorts haven't bitten into one of these many passes. Ikon has only 2 unlimited and a few limited....Banff for example. WB is on Epic. But what about the RCR group? I don't see them on any multi pass. Mont Ste Anne and Stoneham would be a destination for Ontario if they were on the Ikon.... or even the MCP.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I'm surprised that more Canadian resorts haven't bitten into one of these many passes. Ikon has only 2 unlimited and a few limited....Banff for example. WB is on Epic. But what about the RCR group? I don't see them on any multi pass. Mont Ste Anne and Stoneham would be a destination for Ontario if they were on the Ikon.... or even the MCP.

The RCR group is on the full Epic Pass - I’m planning on going to MSA this season! The pass includes 7 days, combined, at the RCR resorts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I alway forget that RCR has quite a few locations with Kickiing Horse probably the best known in the U.S. The others in the west are Fernie, Kimberley, Nakiska, and Mont Sainte Anne, and Stoneham in QUE. After the 7 days, it's 50% off day tickets.

The Epic pass definitely has more international coverage outside the U.S. Have added more access to Les 3 Vallees and Skirama Dolimiti for 2019-20. Rusutsu was aded for Japan, with all 10 resorts in Hakuba Valley listed on the website. Get 5 days each at the two Japaneses destinations.

Jilly

Staff member
Well, where are you seeing these resorts on any multi pass? I can't find them. Kicking Horse? I don't see them, but maybe I'm missing it?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think the most confusing pass to understand is the Epic Local. The name doesn't help now that Epic has expanded to so many regions. The main point is that holiday periods are not included. The most popular destination resorts have limited days. RCR locations aren't included at all.
Even the Epic Tahoe Local is confusing. I used to think it was for Locals only (like you have to live in the area). I bought the Epic Pass the first year it came out when there weren't a dozen different passes. Went to Vail (my third time there) for a week and thought "this is good - I'm skiing for free"......... think it was $329.

Jilly

Staff member
I didn't know RCR was on Epic. Abet limited, but that might get some Stowe people to MSA.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The MCP is back on sale at $489. The announcement that will make news for this week is that Arapahoe Basin is on the MCP for 2019-20. That's not too much of a surprise given that all the MCP locations are also on Ikon and the addition of A-Basin to Ikon was made recently.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For anyone interested in a little history about how Vail Resorts and Alterra evolved into what they are in 2019, here's an article from Feb 2018 worth reading. That was soon after the first announcement about Ikon passes and well before it became obvious that the MCP wasn't going away and Ikon partners remain on the MCP. A significant difference from a business standpoint between VR and Alterra is that VR is a public company while Alterra remains privately owned.

https://www.aspensojo.com/articles/2018/2/15/let-the-winter-games-begin

The shift so far for 2019-20 is that the owners of Sun Valley and Snowbasin decided to move to Epic and Arapahoe Basin left Epic and joined Ikon and MCP. I won't be surprised if there are a few more announcements of changes/additions for the Epic and Ikon passes for 2019-20 before October.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The marketing emails are ramping up for multi-resort passes.

Getting reminders that the price goes up for Epic after Sept. 2, Labor Day. For me, those come from individual resorts that I've bought lift tickets at in recent years that are now owned by Vail Resorts.

Since I bought Ikon, the email today had travel info for three resorts with a notes about the "closest major airport." The promotion was for Squaw/Alpine, Solitude, and Winter Park. Probably not a coincidence that those compete directly with Epic locations.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For folks who can make good use of a season pass to one ski area/resort, having perks that make skiing at other locations can turn it into a multi-regional, multi-resort pass. Several partnerships between independently owned ski areas/resorts have emerged in recent years.

The two new options for 2019-20 are the Indy Pass and Boyne Gold.

• Mountains of Distinction - Mid-Atlantic (PA) plus a few locations in the northeast
• Freedom Pass - started 2014 in northeast
• Powder Alliance - started 2014 on west coast
• Power Pass (AZ, NM, SW CO, UT) - started 2014 with NM
• Peak Pass (northeast, PA, midwest) - started 2014 in northeast, 2019-20 probably the last season
Indy Pass - 2019-20 is first season, $199 before 12/2/2019
• Boyne Gold (MI, MT, WA, NH, ME) - 2019-20 is first season

In addition, a few individual resorts have partnerships. For example Grand Targhee lists over 15 partners. There are several in CO, the southwest, plus Powder Mountain, and even Mt. Brighton in northern MI as well as Kiroro in Japan. Powder Mountain has a similar list, but it's a bit shorter.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Actually in years before the Maxx Pass existed, you got free skiing for a certain number of days at Boyne’s western resorts with a Gold New England pass. The two back to back diva wests at Big Sky had one year where I got that benefit and then the next I had to buy the Maxx Pass for the same thing..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Actually in years before the Maxx Pass existed, you got free skiing for a certain number of days at Boyne’s western resorts with a Gold New England pass. The two back to back diva wests at Big Sky had one year where I got that benefit and then the next I had to buy the Maxx Pass for the same thing..
Perhaps the change was related to the timing of when Boyne Resorts decided to sell several resorts to a REIT and become an operator only, instead of an owner-operator. Pretty clear that Boyne is looking for more customers in more than one way by offering both an internal multi-resort pass as well as being a partner on Ikon. I would guess their experience with the MCP for a few seasons and Ikon last season made it clear that having Big Sky as a draw is effective.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The number of ski resorts that are setting up partnerships has clearly increased. Another example is Apex Mountain in BC, Canada. Season passholders can get 2 free day tickets at five other resorts: Silver Star, Mt Baldy, Manning Park, Mt Seymour, and Mt Washington. Apex also has a long list of ski areas/resorts for 25% off on lift tickets, including Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Red Mountain, etc. Also noticed that the cut-off date for early bird pricing on Apex season tickets is Oct. 6.

Definitely good if you can make a decision about whatever season pass is of interest before October these days, whether a multi-regional pass like Epic or Ikon, or a local season pass.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
If it helps to see resorts listed by region to see what coverage Epic, Ikon, or MCP provide, check out this article. The number of days is for Full Ikon or Full Epic. The Peak Resorts that are expected to be on Epic for 2019-20 are included. The locations in Europe for Epic aren't listed, perhaps because can only get free lift tickets if book lodging or do something else besides just show up.

https://blog.theclymb.com/out-there/epic-or-ikon-which-downhill-pass-is-right-for-you-2/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't checked them all, but it looks like some Ikon partners are adding Ikon Base to selected season passes. Had noticed it for JH earlier. AspenSnowmass is doing the same thing. May be instead of providing unlimited 50% off tickets at other MCP locations, which was available in the past several years. That's still the perk for Taos passholders. The MCP locations are all Ikon partners. But a Base Ikon provides limited days at not only the partners but also the Alterra resorts.

AspenSnowmass season passes: New this year, all 2019-2020 Premier Adult, Chamber, Senior, and Parent Passes include a complimentary Ikon Base Pass!

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.51.10 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
In Canada there are a few regional multi-resort passes. SkiBig3 for the Banff area and RCR are the ones non-Canadians are more likely to have heard of. SkiBig3 (Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise, Mt Norquay) are partners on Ikon and Full Epic passholders get a few days at RCR locations (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberley, Nakiska, Stoneham, Mt. Ste. Anne).

For 2019-20, Silverstar and Apex are going to work together to provide a perk for season passholders. Passholders will get 2 days at the other resort, and 25% off for additional days.

https://www.snowindustrynews.com/ar...-announces-new-pass-holder-reciprocal-program

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna