• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MTB or Gravel 2023

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Since getting a bike in early 2021 I have been going a lot! Last season I took clinics at Bolton Valley for women and I learned how to properly corner on green trails and blue trails. I also took women’s clinics at Perry Hill. I’ve gone on various women’s group rides and have met up with fellow ski and snowboard instructors to ride together. It’s been great!

Thought I’d start a new thread since the previous one covered gear. Re-read it, there is such good info there! This thread I think could focus on MTB spots, encouraging each other to go and sharing events, as well as talk technique with new geometry or older geometry (whichever one we’re rocking).

As for me, I also learned I was running my tires too high and changed them to tubeless to run them even lower pressure. I had the bar adjusted and

I launched myself off a jump and yard-saled myself. I told myself if I try again I need to get the serious helmet with the body armor. I so far just use knee pads, gloves and regular helmet.

At end of season last season I was reasonably comfortable on blues and tried my first technical black run at Bolton Valley. I had to walk sections but I rode sections I never would have been able to do before. I also went to Killington Bike Park and did greens and blues. It was awesome!

I have gone a lot at Perry Hill, Cady Hill, Trapp, Adams Camp, Blueberry Lakes and I have a subscription to TrailForks and I’m a VMBA member. North Branch (MAMBA) is my home trail area.

I want to get to Norwich Univ Trails and Millstone next as they are close! Next Hardwick, Cady Falls, Craftsbury, Hinesburg, Little River State Park, and Kingdom Trails. I would also be open to other visiting nearby areas I haven’t yet been.

I’ve booked a couple of camping excursions this coming summer at

- Milan Hill State Park in NH — I would go visit Coos Trails and Great Glen Trails and

- Mt Ascutney — I would visit Ascutney Trails (calling @SallyCat — I know you said once I’m good with going up that I can try it there!)

Let’s chat all the MTB/gravel things!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I got my bike serviced in April and On Saturday, I went to Perry Hill and did Campfire. I was feeling pretty new to it, it’s been awhile! And I had to walk this rock section I forgot about. I will have to go back and do s’mores. I’m looking forward to going and getting instruction this season.

last season I got much better on berms but I think I could still improve.

Vermont is way steep. I also went somewhere near Windham NY Elm Ridge Wild Forest last fall (Sept) and it was super flat. What a difference it’s like night and day

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had a great ride in DuPont state forest today. Wet rooty single track and some big rock faces I rode and a few steep rocky sections I walked too… Also love riding in Pisgah National Forest. If anyone wants more details about riding in western NC give a shout!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@echo_VT thanks for starting this thread!

I started MTB way back in my 20's (post-college/during med school) but never got very good or confident. Since moving to VT 4 years ago we have done more mountain biking and I'm getting better! I haven't done clinics or camps but should- I will look into what they have at Bolton.

We are also VMBA members & are in the Fellowship of the Wheel chapter. Our "home" MTB area is Catamount in Williston VT. I really like the variety of trails and so far we stick to the greens and blues. Little Jthree has done summer camps there. We also like Saxon Hill.

I'm still riding my old MTB from my med school days. Debating upgrading but there's many reasons for loving this bike, not the least because Mr. JThree built it for me the year we were engaged. BUT I just got a new Salsa cycles gravel bike that I'm pretty excited about! We were just talking about the fact that I should go tubeless and let some air out of the tires.

Let's talk bicycles and yes let's meet up this summer!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Milan Hill State Park in NH — I would go visit Coos Trails and Great Glen Trails and
If you’re looking for MTB single track, personally I’d skip Great Glen. There’s minimal single track, most trails are carriage-road style, with some single/double tracks mixed in. Coos trails are a lot more fun overall. Trails in the North Conway, NH area or in Bethel, ME could be worth the extra drive too. Great trails in both of those areas, though they are further from where you’re camping.

Cranmore and Mt. Abram both offer lift access mountain biking and have trails that suit any skill level…if you want to mix in downhill biking.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
@elemmac thanks for the info I will be sure to check them out! Yes I like downhill and it’s good they have a variety. The kiddo can do moderate bike trails and greens for downhill. Will check them out

@jthree yay glad you’re here! Excited for you to do some more

echo_VT

Angel Diva
@SarahXC nice I’m glad you’re out and about where you are in NC. Has the season been going for awhile for you already? How are the trails down there? Do you have trails built for flow and technical? Any downhill?

@elemmac remind me where you’re based out of? Also any particular ones by North Conway that you recommend? I did see that there are some options on TrailForks.

elemmac

Angel Diva
remind me where you’re based out of? Also any particular ones by North Conway that you recommend? I did see that there are some options on TrailForks.
I’m based in southern NH, but have a place at Sunday River (just outside of Bethel), so I’m very familiar with the trails in Bethel and Gorham NH (Gorham is only about 30 minutes from our place up there). North Conway is a bit further for me, but I try to get out to those trails at least once a year. In the past I did the 24 Hours of Great Glen MTB race, so got very familiar with those trails over around Washington over a handful of years (haven’t gone back to ride since my last race, since there’s so many better trails in the area).

For North Conway, I’ve mostly ridden Black Cap (Red Tail trail and the other trails off of Hurricane Mountain Rd)…you can either shuttle the road via car, bike up the road or bike up Kettle Ridge…then it’s a nice looooong downhill from the top.

Or…At the base of Cranmore there’s a trail system that’s really good (I’m not sure what the trail system is actually called…I’ve always called it Sticks and Stones after one of the popular trails there). You can link Hurricane Mt Rd to those trails, for a full day of riding.

Marshall Conservation area off of West Side Rd is supposed to be really good…I have friends in that area that ride it often. Those same friends take their kids (around 5 and 7 years old) to Cranmore for lift access as well, and the kids love it.

Lots of options in the area between North Conway/Gorham/Bethel, all within an hour or so driving. I love how much mountain biking has blown up across that whole area!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
There’s a ton of dirt road/gravel riding by me in Vermont as well as some technical cross country trails. The dirt roads are lovely rolling terrain and occasional steep hills.

As a novice mountain biker, I’m looking forward to hitting Catamount Outdoor Family Center in Williston with @jthree as soon as my hard tail gets tuned up and ready for the season. It is flat and not too technical… which is the reason why it’s a favorite for cross country skiing in the winter too!

Been doing a dirt road ride a few minutes from my home. Some gentle uphill conditioning — a little less than 300 ft of elevation gain in 3 miles or so. Goal is to eventually comfortable enough to bike up the 400 ft elevation gain in 1 mile from the base of the hill leading to my house. It’s a limiting factor for me to just get up and take advantage of the excellent riding outside my door. I see people parked at the bottom of the hill all the time huffing their way up the road on their bikes, usually while walking my pup.

Last edited:

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely everyone has been riding a while now… I usually ride through the winter, although more gravel than single track when it’s wet to avoid damaging the trails. We do have downhill and flow riding as well as classic gnarled technical trail stuff and new school style trails with purpose built rock gardens, berms, etc also. Beech and Sugar mountain both have lift served mtb and Ride Kanuga is more flow. There’s some nice flow sections in other areas too like Ridgeline in DuPont forest and the pink blazed trail (can’t remember the actual name) at the Bracken trail system. DuPont also has some cool exposed slick rock trails. There’s some big air stuff too—the course they built for RedBull at the Reeb Ranch comes to mind.

The gravity nationals are actually going to be hosted less than 10 miles from my house!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Flow State MTB Fest at Ascutney is a great way to get to know the trails here, and it's a really fun festival. Big enough to have a great vibe, but small enough to be relaxing and low-key. Great music, too.

GLOW (Glorious Ladies on Wheels) is a group of really fun and very, very talented riders that has grown in popularity in the Upper Valley region in the past couple of years. They'll be a big presence at Flow State and their rides are really fun for intermediate and up riders.

There's also a new "skills park" right at the base of Mt. Ascutney. It's really a jump park, but there is a fun green line and three different ladder drops. It's a fun place to noodle around before or after a ride. There is also a really fun flow trail right above the park that's unique for Ascutney, which is usually more "techy-flow" than pure flow. I definitely do fewer miles on an Ascutney ride than other places, but I love it for the variety and I never, ever get bored with the trails. We even opened up some more moderate blue-green trails this season thanks to a generous landowner.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
IMG_1521.jpeg
IMG_1522.jpegIMG_1537.pngIMG_1536.png
I did this big 10 mile ride this morning thru north branch trails! Before the rain that’s supposed to come soon. It was awesome!

I did:
Main - Cummings - North - Sparrow Farm Rd
Sparrow Farm Trail
Roll Call Climb
Downy
Barred Owl Blvd
Snipe Hill Loop
Barred Owl Blvd
Pump track

There’s more I want to go back for and do!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Nice there’s been so much activity!

@SallyCat thanks for sharing those pieces about Ascutney! I have to check it out…

@SarahXC north carolina seems awesome

@ilovepugs great to hear you will head to catamount. I am seeing lots of trail systems by you! and @jthree nice to hear you’ll get out there too!

@elemmac thanks for that rundown on the trails that you recommend in the area! I have taken a look at the maps on trailforks to see what you like! I may take it down a notch to accommodate my daughter and her riding (she’s not super confident and I want to keep it as fun as we can without making her uneasy) seems like there is such great stuff in the area.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I may take it down a notch to accommodate my daughter and her riding (she’s not super confident and I want to keep it as fun as we can without making her uneasy) seems like there is such great stuff in the area.
If you want to take it down a notch...the Great Glen trails that you were looking at initially are beginner friendly, with a lot of carriage road. For single track, the Power Island loop in Gorham is mellow (I haven't been over there in a couple years, so I'm not sure the condition of the trail). And though it's short...the Pumphouse Loop in Gorham is amazing for all abilities...whenever I ride Gorham, it's a hit (the friend I mentioned earlier...it's her kids' favorite...and her oldest is very cautious on the bike). Lastly, I would highly recommend the Bethel Village Trails (even the blue rated trail is incredibly mellow...but flowy and lots of fun).

There really is a lot of great trails in the area. Have fun and report back on where you end up!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Over the weekend I hit little river state park with a few people I met up with at Burlington Beer Co a few weeks ago. It’s so much fun! It’s still at the time where the campground isn’t charging for parking but not sure when they start. Luckily I believe we have a Vermont state parks parking pass.

we went up stonewall, bear run, dalley loop, then came down hillfarmer, went back up highbridge to do hillfarmer again. Then the rest of highbridge down to the dalley loop. Conditions were okay, somewhat dry in spots toward the top, and rutted out and wet toward the bottom. All in all it was a good fun morning.

@jthree and @ilovepugs I saw you guys got out for maybe a gravel ride. How was it?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@echo_VT - Oh you’re back!! It was good, a 11 mile bow tie from the Huntington post office. Mix of pavement and gravel with a few good climbs and about 800ft of elevation gain. Stopped at the farm stand en route and the town road chief’s daughter was minding the store. She thought it was very funny that we chose to ride around town.

Riding around Huntington is always so nice, such good views and drivers are very respectful of cyclists on the roads.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@jthree and I have been keeping it up on the riding! We did the Vermont Adaptive road ride a few weekends ago which was great. Since I’ve been out on my gravel bike quite a bit this season I felt more ready to jump on my hardtail mountain bike and ride on trails, which I haven’t done since 2019. We met up this evening at Catamount Outdoor Center outside of Burlington and did some fun loops around the trails. It’s pretty flat and not too scary so a great re-intro to it.

@elemmac - @jthree did a fairly technical group ride in Hinesburg Town Forest last week and you might be interested in it. I’ve only ever snowshoed around there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly