• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

mom4ski

Diva in Training
Just wondering about a family trip to Mt. Tremblant in Canada. Any advice, opinions and experiences you have to share would be greatly appreciated. We live in western New York. We are waiting to head out west and then eventually to Europe over the next few years. This is our first big ski trip as a family. We usually only hit the local small areas/resorts. Please provide any information regarding your experiences at Mt. Tremblant - when did you ski there (times to avoid)? where did you stay? did you find any great places to eat (our son has food allergies - always a challenge, esp. while traveling)? any other comments? Thanks so much!

Jilly

Staff member
I have a season pass to Tremblant and ski about 50 days. SkiBam also has one. So ask away.

I know of a family with a daughter with peanut allerigies. They are very cautious and make their own meals as a rule. But by asking wait staff you should be able to overcome anything. Some of the best eating is in the town of Mt Tremblant or St. Jovite. Our favourite places to eat - in the resort - Fat Mardi's and Caseys. Off - Antipasto's in St. Jovite.

Accomodations - do you want in the resort or off the moutain? It can be $10/day to park the car or a long walk. With kids you might not want that. Condo or hotel rooms? Most commercial accomodations, as opposed to private, have deals for lift tickets too.

Ski lessons - book in advance. I heard a lot of complaints this week about the wait to get kids into classes. So book before you leave, or the afternoon/night before at the mountain.

Like any resort - holidays are busy. Before February is cheaper I know. After our March break the price goes down too. Busy times would be Presidents week, Quebec break, college break (Feb28-Mar4), Ontario break (Mar14-18). Tremblant is not planning on being open for Easter as it's late this year.

Anything else?

mom4ski

Diva in Training
reply re: Mt. Tremblant

Thanks so much. You have been most helpful. All of your suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are planning to find a place "on the mountain" to avoid complications (parking, walking to slopes, etc.). I think we looked at something in Domaine De La Foret. Should be a good spot as there are six of us. Some ski all day and others like to take breaks. All of these places have kitchens so we can bring food to accomodate food allergies. Thanks for the dining out suggestions. We'll check into them. And thanks for the advice regarding lessons. We will pre-purchase tickets, but I had not considered the lesson part. AND thanks re: the busy dates. We'll be there part of President's Week and will experience some crowds, I'm sure. Just need to prepare everyone and bring an extra measure of patience. Thanks again for all of your help!

Jilly

Staff member
I don't think President week is going to be too crowded this year. There weren't too many Yanks up at Christmas. Your $ is too close to par to make it a real deal this year.

Domaine de la Foret is ski in, ski out to some places. Also its better than the village centre. That can get noisy! Our place is between the village centre and that area. Pretty quiet really. If you are renting through Tremblant.ca you can get discounted tickets for everyone.

I'll be there on the 21st as its a holiday in Ontario.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are headed to Tremblant during President's week, too, for a family vacation this year! A new resort for us - woot!

We haven't totally settled our plans - we have lots of lesson reservations and will need to cancel anything we choose not to do soon. But, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - Jilly, did you know that almost the MOST EXPENSIVE week of the entire season at Tremblant is President's week? I only ask because seriously, it's more expensive than the Canadian vacation weeks - and why? Because of those darn Yanks who have a long weekend and also school breaks. I find it a little infuriating (and to be honest a bit of a turnoff) that they've decided to charge more for American vacation weeks than Canadian ones. :mad2::mad2: Maybe it's the ownership, but exactly where are Americans supposed to ski cheaply without taking even more time off from school???

Anyway, if DH wasn't so sold on Tremblant this year, I might be lobbying for someplace closer to home. What's the point of driving so far north during the kid's school vacation week if there's no price advantage to doing so? I can only hope "crowded" is relative and at least we will be paying premium dollars for smaller crowds than Stratton or Sugarbush...

Jilly

Staff member
I always thought that last week - Christmas-NewYears was the most expensive. But having a seasonal rental, we don't think about that.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Being a "local" I haven't a clue what things cost from week to week. But I'd be happy to offer my services as an on-mountain guide while you're at Tremblant (I'm not so up on restaurants and après-ski activities but believe me, I know every nook and cranny of the terrain!). Just let me know when you'll be there and we can meet up. One of my goals this season is to ski with more Divas so this would be a great opportunity (and Diva families count too).

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No way! I'll be there the weekend of February 18-21 too! I'm going up for the first time with a bunch of friends (they have been going for a few years now). Any tips for someone still in their first season? Favorite green/blue trails?

Jilly

Staff member
OK, that's the Family Day long weekend in Ontario. So, I'm in the area too.

Diva met up closer to the time. SkiBam and I can guide!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may just join you ladies as well, although I'm guessing if it's Pres week+family day, it's probably not a T-66 day. :smile: I often head up for the day so I'll see as the time approaches.

Tremblant is a lot of fun. Like any eastern resort, it can get icy and cold, but the cool thing is that the village truly gives it a big mountain feel, which can be a lot of fun. The skiing is great too of course.

Plus you might find it cool to be in basically a French city. Don't worry - everyone there also speaks English, but you'll definitely hear lots of French. It's a cool spot.

Enjoy!

Elsbeth

Jilly

Staff member
Wow, the Diva's could be in for a real treat - 3 CSIA certified instructors! As guides!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I would definitely love to put some faces to the names on this forum! Especially since so many wear goggles in their avatar pics...:laugh: And I can't remember the last time DH was as excited. He's looking for a bigger challenge than our recent outings, so hopefully you guys can point him to some challenging runs (he loves moguls...)!:fear:

We will drive up on the 20th, ready to ski on Monday! Currently I have the boys signed up for the full day ski program for M-Th, but that might change to just a couple days and skiing with them the rest. Depends on how much they learn over the next month - and I honestly think they like having instructors take them on the "fun" stuff, LOL.

To my earlier comments, I really think it's just lodging that they jack the price on, as lift tickets seem to be one price all season long, including weekends (a big change from the US). But, you will laugh if you look at their "package deals" listed on the web, where the "starting from" daily rate is at least $40 higher during Presidents week than either of the Canadian vacation weeks. Can't speak to Christmas week as those specials are no longer listed. But my recollection is that it might have been *fractionally* higher than President's week. Again, grrr but the reality of supply and demand, LOL!

Anyway, going to sort out Tremblant plans for DD this week - she currently is reserved in daycare - and I need to add skiing for her!

We are so excited - and once we commit, we simply stop reckoning the finances and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Jilly

Staff member
Side note. I was looking at the Tremblant.ca site this morning - snow report for the weekend.

They have pictures running at the top of the home page. The girl in blue - actually had lunch with her on Saturday. She's Scottish and part of the Scottish ski team. Was over for race camp during the holidays. Comes every year. Knows all the coaches etc. Really great gal!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is very exiting! Just want to clarify that the group that I'm going up with is skiing saturday and Sunday, hope some of you will be around for the weekend and not just the 21st.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna