• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MSP CC, Sheevas, Santa Anas...help needed!

Ski_AnnA

Diva in Training
Hi girls!

I'm new to ski divas and definitely love the concept! I'm looking for a pair of all-mountain skis and I'm definitely confused with all the options that are out there, not to mention that whatever shop I go to will sell different skis so it's hard to have an unbiased advice.

A little bit on my ski style:
I've been skiing all my life and I'm an aggressive, advanced to expert skier from Eastern Canada. I don't go a lot off trails, but love the double diamonds whether they are groomed or have been left ungroomed all season. I can basically can handle anything. In the last few years, I've skied much less and taken on the telemark skiing challenge. However, I'm always up to get back to my skis for a day with advanced skiers friends. I currently ski on old Fisher Vapor, but I've never really loved them since I bought them way to short at 150 (compared to my telemark skis at 165). I have always had stiff skis (and boots) as my legs are seriously strong. I'm not super tall at 5'3'' and weight around 140.

What I'm looking for:
New skis to travel to the Rockies, but which I will still enjoy here in Eastern Canada. In the Rockies, there is nothing I love more than dropping in a bowl or searching for fresh pow in the woods. I do not intend to sell my current Fisher so I will keep them for super icy days, but would love my new skis to also handle groomers without going all shaky when increasing the speed.

Skis I consider right now (finally!):
I seem to come up with the same first two options as many other divas, but the posts I read were for more intermediate skiers, so I could not keep myself from asking your opinion with a bit more context on my ski style, and I also was hoping you could offer some insight or comparison with the other two. What do you think about core having titanium sheet, carbon, nothing? What should I be looking for? More flex seems what some people might be looking for powder, but what about somebody who has always needed stiffer skis?

- Sheevas 9 or 10: Seems more likely to be the 9 for now, but would love to hear your thought about the 10s.
- Santa Ana 88 or 94: I read a post from somebody else that somehow suggested that a stronger skier could overpower them. What do you think?
- 4frnt MSC CC: I really struggle to find information on those except from 2-3 comments from friends in the Rockies who are absolute promoters. However, I can't find any comparison to the other options.
- Stockli nela 94: Less likely option due them being much more pricey than the other options, but who knows, I might find a great deal!

I did not have the opportunity to demo any of them, which is a shame. I was hoping to wait to demo them at the beginning of this season, but with the pandemic, people seem more interested in outdoor sport and I'm afraid that options will not be available anymore if I wait a few months.

I truly hope you can help.
Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance!

See you on the trails divas :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi and welcome!

I’m a huge Sheeva 9 advocate, I love it! That being said, your description of being very aggressive of a skier and usually wanting very stiff skis? That is about the opposite of the Sheeva 9. I’m an advanced skier but more finesse than powerful and love being off piste as much as possible. They shine most there, but do well on groomers as well. So I would be wary of recommending them to you without demoing. The Sheeva 10 might fit the bill more-ish if the width isn’t too much for what you want and where you ski.

Stocklis are amazing and a great mix between damp and playful imo. I have the Stormrider 85 but haven’t been on the 94. Still, from your description that would be my pick from your list if you absolutely cannot demo first. We are all very big advocates for demoing on this site. Ski preference is so subjective.

Maybe look into the Volkl Blaze as well. I haven’t gotten to demo them yet, but have heard great things. Others here can surely comment on the Santa Anas better than I can. @contesstant any thoughts?

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
@Ski_AnnA -

So happy to have you here! There are plenty experts here who will add to the recommendations and talk endlessly about the possibilities. Best of luck!

:welcome:

Jilly

Staff member
I have the SA 88's and bought them to take to Lake Louise last year....ah, that didn't happen. My daily driver here in the east is the Rossi Hero ST Ti. A tuned down race ski. I did get on the SA's once last year after a snowfall at Tremblant. They will shine out west, not here.

Also take at look at the Brahma's. I rented the 82 when was I at LL in the fall of 2019. Loved them, but couldn't find a pair in the east to get. Got a great deal on the SA's last fall.

Where are skiing here?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am also a huge Sheeva 9 fan; I own those and the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 (predecessor to the Nela). My ski style is similar to @MissySki - we enjoy and own many of the same skis, and often ski together as well; I agree with her assessment regarding how you may find the Sheeva 9 lacking. I was at Big Sky a few years ago with only my Sheeva 9 and I spent a day on the Sheeva 10 when we had enough new snow that I felt I wanted to try out the extra width. The Sheeva 10 is 10mm wider than the Sheeva 9, but it has a shorter length of metal in it to give the tips/tails more play in softer conditions. It felt stiffer underfoot, but I didn't feel like it brought anything extra to the table, and I preferred the Sheeva 9 in the same conditions.

I have not been on recent iterations of the Santa Ana, but the year with the two sheets of metal (2020) might be an option for you. I have a no-metal version (2016) of the Santa Ana 100 and love them, but can see how being a bit stiffer would be welcome; I am personally excited to try the most recent versions of the Santa Ana line (I believe both 2021 and 2022 have one sheet of metal), but you may find them lacking. All iterations have the same great shape with a bit of an upturned tail for fun in the bumps and trees. Because you are a powerful and aggressive skier, the Enforcer (male counterpart to the Santa Ana line) may be on the table as a choice for you as well...shortest Enforcer 94 is the 165, but you may be able to pull it off?

The Stockli Nela 88 or 96 (I believe it comes in an 80, 88, and a 96 - not a 94?) has a flatter tail than the Santa Ana and Sheeva lines. The shape of my Stormriders is similar to the Nela, and they are surprisingly fun in the bumps. If the Nela can be worked into the budget it could be a great choice especially for shared time on groomers. I am not a damp ski lover, but the Stocklis are a winner - so smooth and stable without being boring.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Essentials women's ~90mm ski comparison video is out - in case that is helpful to get some further background info on some skis you are interested in. Think Blaze, Sheeva, SA, Nela are covered. I'm guessing other video's focussing on other widths will follow soon (as per their men's comparisons).

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd say the Santa Anas have a higher speed limit than the Sheevas yet are still very maneuverable in tight spaces like trees. My thoughts on the Santa Ana 98 is that they slither through stuff and are very stable. The Sheevas more bound through stuff and definitely get deflected more by uneven, nasty crunchy off-piste snow. Both skis are a hoot. The Sheevas ski much shorter than the Santa Anas.

And yes, the Nela 96 would be a no-brainer (although I haven't skied it yet.) Stocklis just have such a special feel to them, which is why I now own a pair of Nela 88s. :becky:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Sheevas ski much shorter than the Santa Anas.
See, that is new on the more recent iterations. The 2016 and 2017 Santa Ana 100 169 (pre-metal) skied way short, but the 2018 Sheeva 9 172 is great. Hence why I own the pre-metal Santa Ana 100 in the 177. I could go longer on the Sheeva, but I don't need to.

I saw Sunday River has the 2022 Santa Ana 93 172 on the demo rack waiting to get mounted. I am so splurging sometime this season and trying them out if I cannot find them at a demo day!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I demoed the Santa Ana 93 in Taos in 2020. I thought they were a blast. Also thought I was on the 153 but when I returned them the guy in the shop asked if the 161's were a good length for me.... I said I was on the 153's. He then showed me I was on the 161's. For purchase, it was between the Sheeva 9's and the Santa Ana 93. Sheeva's were heavily discounted due to cosmetics (still haven't seen it) so purchased them. I'm pretty lightweight and wanted a fun ski. Both fit the bill even though SA 93's a bit more serious but still had fun. Even was videotaped in the bumps and I didn't look too bad !!
I wanted a ski that would be fun in the groomers and off piste (somehow I thought the Sheeva 9's were more of a groomer ski) but am told no that's not the case. Anyhow I'm quite happy with them. Also demoed the Sheeva 10's and would buy those in a heartbeat. I had so much fun in a heavy sierra cement day in them a couple of years ago.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't really know that the Sheeva 9s are a charging ski - the Santa Anas would definitely fit that bill more. I agree about looking for one of the double metal models (2018-2020 I think) as you are less likely to overpower them, and I think the 93 would give you the nice in between for float. Would the Volkl Secret 92 also be something to put on your list?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't really know that the Sheeva 9s are a charging ski - the Santa Anas would definitely fit that bill more. I agree about looking for one of the double metal models (2018-2020 I think) as you are less likely to overpower them, and I think the 93 would give you the nice in between for float. Would the Volkl Secret 92 also be something to put on your list?
OP might also like the k2 Mindbender 88.....

Ski_AnnA

Diva in Training
Wow, so many advice. Thank you so much to all of you, that is very useful!
I will take all of your advices and make a priority list for demoing. I really want to have a ski that I will love, so I've decided to take a chance and wait until I can demo them. For now: I'll hope for a first snowfall soon!
Have a good day!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow, so many advice. Thank you so much to all of you, that is very useful!
I will take all of your advices and make a priority list for demoing. I really want to have a ski that I will love, so I've decided to take a chance and wait until I can demo them. For now: I'll hope for a first snowfall soon!
Have a good day!

Hope you’ll do a write up on your demo experience! :smile:

YooniPowWow

Diva in Training
@Ski_AnnA - Curious if you ended up picking a pair?

I just demoed the Santa Ana 93s and have been skiing on the 4FRNT MSP CCs for the last week in Tahoe (groomed, cruddy and sometimes icy conditions) and LOVE both. I also demoed the Black Pearl 88s, Atomic Mavens and own the K2 Mindbender 88Tis. My two favorite so far have been the 4FRNT and SA93s. I think both would be great contenders for a one ski quiver. As for my skill level, I am an intermediate skier (hoping to become advanced by the end of this season!) - mainly like staying on groomed blues and blacks.

Here is my assessment of each:

1) Santa Ana 93 - 10/10 - Such a confidence boosting ski. I immediately felt like I could charge down the mountain. Turns initiated easily, could go through cruddy, bumpy terrain with ease and felt really stable when going fast. They were super fun and felt light on the feet. I really wanted to demo the 88s, but the demo shop didn't have them in stock.

2) MSP CCs - 9.5/10 - They felt similar to the Santa Anas. They are a bit of a wider (99 underfoot) and a heavier ski, but I didn't notice much of the difference when on the mountain (just heavy to lug around off the mountain). I'd give the SA93 a slight edge in terms of maneuverability, but these were a super fun ski. Since they have a wider underfoot, I'd say that this would be a great ski to have as a one ski quiver that you can also take out on powder days. Also, you can't beat the graphics - such a gorgeous looking ski!

3) The BP88s - 9/10 - I can say that these are also a confidence boosting ski. Easy to turn with and they can rip. I would be super happy with the BPs and think they are a great ski! Only slight diff with the SA93s is that the BP88s felt a bit chattery and less stable when going fast. The SA93s feel like they just grip the snow....the BP88s less so. But, I could only notice these diffs b/c I skied the SA93 the same day.

4) K2Mindbender 88Ti - 8/10 - I own this pair. These are overall great skis. They can cut through crud, have great edge grip and they can rip. But, ever since I've had a chance to demo the SA93 and the MSP CCs - those two have become my two new favorites over the Mindbenders.

5) Atomic Maven - 6/10 - These were my least favorite from my demo day. They just felt quite unstable when going fast and also had a lot of chatter. They were easy to turn and maneuver, but in comparison to the others, these were my last choice.

Overall - I'm now torn b/w the MSP CCs and the SA 93 (or 88s if I can demo them). Should I get both or just keep one? :smile:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I just demoed and bought the 2022 Santa Ana 93 172 and I have been skiing the Sheeva 9 172 as my daily driver for years. The Santa Ana is damper and holds a better edge, but I don’t feel the Sheeva 9 skis shorts than the Santa Ana 93. The Sheeva shines in more consistent conditions where the Santa Ana 93 gives the all conditions confidence.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was gonna rec a ski but deleted bc i noticed op was a few months ago

Ski_AnnA

Diva in Training
Hello!
It has been fun to read those comments and demo reports coming in today! I ended up having a great deal on the Stockli nela 96, so got this one for now. I could not demo it prior to buying it and since we did not have a decent amount of snow in eastern Canada until very recently, I did not take them out yet. Can't wait to do so! Will review them as soon as possible :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly